Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post
Madonna could retire today and still one of the greatest female acts ever
Absolutely true. Her place in musical history is assured.

Quote:
but i wouldn't put her in the top 20 for most wanted b/c well she's aged a lot
LOL well OK -- you're a young squirt.

She's aged well, though, and is in fantastic shape. Which doesn't change the fact that she's a bitch.

Quote:
as for being a bitch - well of course she is
she has a strong will
No, those are not at all the same thing. Yes, she has a strong will. So does Alizée. Madonna is a bitch. Alizée is a sweetheart.

Madonna is a bitch because she treats people like crap, is so arrogant she insists that people not make eye contact with her (now I'm thinking of it, that may have magical significance, but it's still asinine), and puts people through hell for her own selfish desires. You can be strong-willed and compassionate. Madonna is not.

Brilliant, though. Very talented, and deserves every bit of her success. I love her music, well, some of her music. But on a personal level, I have no interest in meeting her. In fact, I'd pay money not to.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

Madonna hasn't recorded a good album in about 8 years. Anyone heard "Hard Candy"?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:52 PM

tbailey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffyrock2 View Post
Madonna hasn't recorded a good album in about 8 years. Anyone heard "Hard Candy"?
have you heard of "Confessions on a Dance Floor" ?

it's 3 years old

" "Hung Up" is a pop song written by American singer-songwriter Madonna, Stuart Price, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, and produced by Madonna and Price. The song was released in October 2005, the first single to be lifted from Madonna's tenth studio album Confessions on a Dance Floor.

"Hung Up" is Madonna's biggest selling single to date, and one of the most successful singles of all time, reaching number one in a record-breaking 45 countries. It sold 8,698,000 units, and according to the United World Chart, is the 5th most successful song since 1999[1] and the forty-third most successful song in music history.[2] The song is the seventh most successful single by a female artist[3] and thirteenth best-selling single in Europe."

don't get me wrong
i don't buy her albums or anythng like that
but i think she should be respected for what she has accomplished
and does make some really good songs

Last edited by tbailey; 07-16-2008 at 11:55 PM..
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 AM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

I would listen to Madonna's music, but I feel about her as I do about Barbra Steisand when it comes to being a person I respect for just being a person.
Alizée, however is on a totally higher level on all points. I love her music, and I love her as a person who shows that one can be both a talented singer, and performer, and still be a very classy, well-balanced, good person with values that I share.

Other performers that, to me, are not on my list are Spears, and most of the other american singers who act as Spears does. Their self-indulgent behavior and self-importance puts me off.

In the last four years, since finding Alizée, I have actually come to dislike american music and love European music. Yes, I know that the European performers talk about american music and the performers, but I have been playing professionally since I was 12 years old and have really had it with what I have seen the american entertainment business devolve into.

European performers and writers have viewed american music, and made their own interpretations of what they like about it. It has a fresh and different sound that I find totally refreshing, original, and enjoyable.

Having done commercial session work in NYC, for Nashville producers, and up and down the east coast for 18+ years has shown me that the same crap is being re-hashed here and served up here as something totally new and different, when it actually has slid downhill, musically, imho. Yes, recording technique has changed, but while there are some extraordinary musicians out there, the commercial music end for the most part is pitiful. Lawyers, accountants, and business types have too much power and very little musical taste, for the most part. It becomes all about the bottom line and very little else.

When one has played music that long, one can see the way it is from a musical standpoint, what has changed for the better, and what has not. It is a different perspective from a person who enjoys music but does not play, or understand it technically over a long period of time to be able to make the comparison.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. For me, the grass is the greenest in France.

Last edited by C-4; 07-17-2008 at 09:06 AM..
Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 AM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

I think Amy_Lee is worth listening to. She has a powerful voice and impressive range, plays piano, writes her own songs which don't have standard song structures, won't play the sexy card to be popular and is appreciative of her fans despite being the victim of stalking. Her songs have had dark themes, but that is changing now. She claims her last album, The Open Door, was made without studio involvement.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Man Among Men

Madonnas 80's and 90's material was generally excellent, she's just following the herd now by putting Justin Timberlake on her albums and trying to rap. Always remember, record sales do not amount to quality music. Tons of classic albums were commercial failures and most garbage music sells millions. Look at the Billboard Top 200 at any given time. I'm not saying Madonna has not recorded good material, listen to the "Like A Virgin" or "True Blue" albums for proof. It just saddens me to see that she's sold out to current trends. She used to be about going against the grain, now she's just another face in the crowd to me.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-4 View Post
I would listen to Madonna's music, but I feel about her as I do about Barbra Steisand when it comes to being a person I respect for just being a person.
Alizée, however is on a totally higher level on all points. I love her music, and I love her as a person who shows that one can be both a talented singer, and performer, and still be a very classy, well-balanced, good person with values that I share.

Other performers that, to me, are not on my list are Spears, and most of the other american singers who act as Spears does. Their self-indulgent behavior and self-importance puts me off.

In the last four years, since finding Alizée, I have actually come to dislike american music and love European music. Yes, I know that the European performers talk about american music and the performers, but I have been playing professionally since I was 12 years old and have really had it with what I have seen the american entertainment business devolve into.

European performers and writers have viewed american music, and made their own interpretations of what they like about it. It has a fresh and different sound that I find totally refreshing, original, and enjoyable.

Having done commercial session work in NYC, for Nashville producers, and up and down the east coast for 18+ years has shown me that the same crap is being re-hashed here and served up here as something totally new and different, when it actually has slid downhill, musically, imho. Yes, recording technique has changed, but while there are some extraordinary musicians out there, the commercial music end for the most part is pitiful. Lawyers, accountants, and business types have too much power and very little musical taste, for the most part. It becomes all about the bottom line and very little else.

When one has played music that long, one can see the way it is from a musical standpoint, what has changed for the better, and what has not. It is a different perspective from a person who enjoys music but does not play, or understand it technically over a long period of time to be able to make the comparison.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. For me, the grass is the greenest in France.

American music's combination of good quality music WITH good commercial sales ended in 1985 when David Lee Roth quit Van Halen. After that, all the decent American music acts started to walk behind the curtain and let the new wave of less-talented such to roam the front stage. MTV is partial to blame for this, but back then at least they played music on a regular basis.

As a progressive guitarist and keyboardist, I see music for it's technical standpoint. What I see in modern rap, or the so called rock of today, is not in the least brilliant. Some folks get together in a band and they release songs where all you hear is vocals and piano and you ask, where's the rest of the bloody band. When I hear Laurent Boutonnat's compositions, they were fresh and new, I enjoyed how it fused a sort of techno feel mixed in with a little neo-classical and a sweet epic fantasy score. Mixed in with the ever-so quality lyrics of Mylene Farmer and that seducing voice of Alizée's, gave me a thrill ride in a new genre I had never thought to find.

When people ask me what kind of music I listen to, I always respond with a list comprising of Dream Theater, Opeth, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, and then out of the blue say Alizée. They would ask who is she, and i'd be going on my usual dreamy explanations of the greatest female musician in the world (yes that's my bias).

Music has been switching from Europe to America constantly since the turn of the 20th, the American delta blues and jazz were taken into mind by the Europeans, and the Europeans offered The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and The Who, etc. After that turn, Europeans tweaked their music up a bit and gave America one of its pride genres, with Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden, Europe gave America something to work with (i.e becoming Van Halen, Metallica, Megadeth).

On topic now:
The list is probably accurate if it was most searched for, everyone searches for the overrated ones, then they throw in quality Alizée, and then they search for the tabloid hounds that just had their daily run-in with the public press.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Man Among Men

As C-4 said, most of the mass music pumped out here in America is indeed mainstream, watered-down junk, but people are quick or call a genre crap based on what they've heard on the radio. For example, most all rap and hip-hop you hear is an insult to the ears but some of my favorite albums ever are rap albums. What do I tell people when the ask me if I like rap? I tell them I don't like it, cause I know A Tribe Called Quest, CunninLynguists and Kool Keith are not what they mean. Dig deep to find the good stuff. You won't regret it.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Tical 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffyrock2 View Post
As C-4 said, most of the mass music pumped out here in America is indeed mainstream, watered-down junk, but people are quick or call a genre crap based on what they've heard on the radio. For example, most all rap and hip-hop you hear is an insult to the ears but some of my favorite albums ever are rap albums. What do I tell people when the ask me if I like rap? I tell them I don't like it, cause I know A Tribe Called Quest, CunninLynguists and Kool Keith are not what they mean. Dig deep to find the good stuff. You won't regret it.
Yea, almost all albums made in the 90's were real rap. Once I heard Souljah boys crap I knew it was all over
Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tical 808 View Post
Yea, almost all albums made in the 90's were real rap. Once I heard Souljah boys crap I knew it was all over
Exactly what I meant by saying "modern rap"

But overall, I only like stuff that include a guitar or some sort of sweet melodic composition.