Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
why do did they evolve to such massive size, when a normal sized octopus fares just as well?
for the lulz
Old 11-18-2010, 03:03 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
for the lulz
Ahh.. if only evolution can be controlled by amusement.. I'd totally be Wolverine by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
True.

They do, as I mentioned above:

"...Giant Squid (the existence of which was still unproven)"

The famous footage (courtesy of Mr. Tsunemi Kubodera) wasn't captured until the fascination had already died a bit, hence my use of the word "was".
Ah! I should've paid more attention to detail. I'm currently vibrating like something that vibrates a lot due to having consumed too much caffeine, so I'm having a slightly hard time concentrating too well.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ah! I should've paid more attention to detail. I'm currently vibrating like something that vibrates a lot due to having consumed too much caffeine, so I'm having a slightly hard time concentrating too well.
Haha, caffeine always makes me want to crawl out of my body - I get it

As for this:

Quote:
It does beg the question though, why do did they evolve to such massive size, when a normal sized octopus fares just as well?
Squid and octopi are very different animals. I believe that besides the various anatomy differences, the octopus tends to be a fairly docile creature, with a different instinctive diet, while squid are more aggressive - based on general observation I think each animal has a different "built-in enemy", an animal that hunts it or competes with it or generally creates some natural rivalry so to speak (gotta keep populations in check) - the giant squid supposedly feeds on large whales. Besides sharks, I don't know of any other creatures that would challenge a whale, so I guess that would be the evolutionary purpose of Mr. Giant Squid.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
Squid and octopi are very different animals. I believe that besides the various anatomy differences, the octopus tends to be a fairly docile creature, with a different instinctive diet, while squid are more aggressive - based on general observation I think each animal has a different "built-in enemy", an animal that hunts it or competes with it or generally creates some natural rivalry so to speak (gotta keep populations in check) - the giant squid supposedly feeds on large whales. Besides sharks, I don't know of any other creatures that would challenge a whale, so I guess that would be the evolutionary purpose of Mr. Giant Squid.
Oops. Once again, attention to detail.

What I meant to say was, why is there the giant squid, when normal squids survive just as fine. Seeing as how the giant squid is seemingly(so far, since not much studying of them have been done) the same as the squid, only much larger. If evolution tells us anything, it's that a species will evolve towards the favorable trait. How did it diverge into a mini-me relationship?? It's an interesting idea about it evolving to that massive size to keep the whale population in check,but sharks and killer whales, as you've mentioned, already got it covered. Where was the evolutionary split between the giant squid and the normal squid? What caused it? Was it some sort of genetic bottleneck that resulted in 2 separate species? How did they evolve so radically different? (I don't actually mean for you to answer the questions. They're just food for thought. )

If, however, their purpose was to keep the whale population in check, that just brings up another question: why isn't there a natural predator of elephants? Sure, the sick and weak elephants are hunted by lions, but such rarity hardly counts as having a natural predator.

Oh the endless questions!! hahahaa

Old 11-18-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Oops. Once again, attention to detail.

What I meant to say was, why is there the giant squid, when normal squids survive just as fine. Seeing as how the giant squid is seemingly(so far, since not much studying of them have been done) the same as the squid, only much larger. If evolution tells us anything, it's that a species will evolve towards the favorable trait. How did it diverge into a mini-me relationship?? It's an interesting idea about it evolving to that massive size to keep the whale population in check,but sharks and killer whales, as you've mentioned, already got it covered. Where was the evolutionary split between the giant squid and the normal squid? What caused it? Was it some sort of genetic bottleneck that resulted in 2 separate species? How did they evolve so radically different? (I don't actually mean for you to answer the questions. They're just food for thought. )

If, however, their purpose was to keep the whale population in check, that just brings up another question: why isn't there a natural predator of elephants? Sure, the sick and weak elephants are hunted by lions, but such rarity hardly counts as having a natural predator.

Oh the endless questions!! hahahaa
LOL. It's late and one of us is jittery from caffeine, it's bound to happen.

Now that is interesting. I'd personally speculate there was some happenstance of genetic mutation, but we'd need to know what the "original descendent" looked like to be sure. I should look into that tomorrow, or maybe ask my biology teacher. -mental bookmark-

As for elephants, mankind jumps immediately to mind - we're animals too, you know. But excluding us that's a very good question. Moar research.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 AM
Recline yourself

I, as an animal, have mutated to the point where caffeine has zero effect on me. Also, medicines that "make you drowsy" have zero effect (in regards to the need to sleep, Nyquil will have me wandering around my house for eight hours tripping balls but I'll be wide awake)

But also remember, generally the animals that don't have any natural predators don't naturally reproduce that often. I haven't yet heard of the elephant that gives birth to litters (though that'd make an awesome youtube video).

The only real difference I've observed between octopi and squid are that I eat octopi cold, and squid warm (and breaded & fried)

And if all elephants really sounded like Ray Romano and Wayne Knight, I'd wanna kill them too.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
But also remember, generally the animals that don't have any natural predators don't naturally reproduce that often. I haven't yet heard of the elephant that gives birth to litters (though that'd make an awesome youtube video).
That's true, I don't think elephants are in danger of overpopulating.

The only animal whose purpose truly baffles me is the platypus.

They're a silly joke of an animal.. but I'd like to own one nonetheless.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:59 AM
Recline yourself

What happens down at the crick, stays down at the crick.

*imagines the Deliverance scene with duck sounds*
Old 11-18-2010, 04:03 AM

In the entire animal kingdom, there are only 2 animals I just do not like: The gorilla and the spider.

Scary bastard..

*picture of spider*

I actually don't like primates overall. Not a big fan of baboons either.

Ugly bastard, ain't he?

Old 11-18-2010, 04:14 AM
Recline yourself

I want a big ol' Kerchak gorilla that sounds like John Cleese.