Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Cool

And what does Alizée have to say about all these rumors?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lVQ2yFMVyo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lVQ2yFMVyo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 11-12-2009, 02:04 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Scruffydog777, the Video is set up for your Private Friends only.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for clearing up informations. I didn't know anything about the whole music market, how it works? who? where does the money go etc.
Now it seems a bit clearer for me
And I agree with Deep, book publishing is much less complicated.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

@Deep, music artists would love it if songs were handled in the same way as books. The music business weaves a very tangled web in order to basically separate the artist from his or her money. Record companies are now going as far as including in their contracts with artists that all their songs will be considered as “made for hire”. This basically means the record company is considered the owner and writer and the artist is more or less like an employee who has no right to their work, ever. Having Wisteria in the mix means that the copyrights and ownership for all the songs on Alizée’s album will already be established. The record company can either accept this or pass on making a deal.

To add a bit more confusion; the “idea” or “concept” of a song is copyrightable and this is usually what a publisher holds the rights to. A publisher in the music business often just holds catalogs of rights to songs, and sits back and collects royalties. They don’t actually “publish” or “make” anything. They will, of course try to see that the music they own is getting produced. They can buy and sell catalogs of songs, almost like buying stocks, bonds or any other investment.

Once the work is embodied in a tangible physical object, it’s known as a phonorecord, and can be registered with the copyright office. A phonorecord can be a tape, vinyl record, CD, etc. This is not the same thing as a “sound recording”. A “sound recording” can also be copyrighted, even though it may be a recording of musical works that are already copyrighted on the “concept” level. The “sound recording” embodies a particular “performance” of the underlying work. For instance, Jive/Sony will probably hold, at least in part, the copyright to the “sound recording” of Alizée’s album, along with whatever artwork they can lay claim to.

I don’t know if I’ve made it clearer or more confusing, but there are multiple layers to rights and ownership in the music business. For instance, when I copyright one of my CDs, I claim everything at once. I claim the words, music, performance, sound recording and artwork.

If you compare it to publishing a book;
The underlying musical idea = the written story
The phonorecord = the writer's manuscript
The sound recording = the printed book

The difference is, a sound recording can have many players involved in its production who are also entitled to ownership of their contribution.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
And what does Alizée have to say about all these rumors?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lVQ2yFMVyo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lVQ2yFMVyo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
duudeee.. i can't watch it! and im your friend on youtube too. what's going on??

Old 11-12-2009, 09:36 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
duudeee.. i can't watch it! and im your friend on youtube too. what's going on??

Sorry! I clicked the wrong box under sharing. Try it now.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

it works. so worth that 4 seconds of !!!

Old 11-13-2009, 07:02 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
@Deep, music artists would love it if songs were handled in the same way as books. The music business weaves a very tangled web in order to basically separate the artist from his or her money. Record companies are now going as far as including in their contracts with artists that all their songs will be considered as “made for hire”. This basically means the record company is considered the owner and writer and the artist is more or less like an employee who has no right to their work, ever. Having Wisteria in the mix means that the copyrights and ownership for all the songs on Alizée’s album will already be established. The record company can either accept this or pass on making a deal.

To add a bit more confusion; the “idea” or “concept” of a song is copyrightable and this is usually what a publisher holds the rights to. A publisher in the music business often just holds catalogs of rights to songs, and sits back and collects royalties. They don’t actually “publish” or “make” anything. They will, of course try to see that the music they own is getting produced. They can buy and sell catalogs of songs, almost like buying stocks, bonds or any other investment.

Once the work is embodied in a tangible physical object, it’s known as a phonorecord, and can be registered with the copyright office. A phonorecord can be a tape, vinyl record, CD, etc. This is not the same thing as a “sound recording”. A “sound recording” can also be copyrighted, even though it may be a recording of musical works that are already copyrighted on the “concept” level. The “sound recording” embodies a particular “performance” of the underlying work. For instance, Jive/Sony will probably hold, at least in part, the copyright to the “sound recording” of Alizée’s album, along with whatever artwork they can lay claim to.

I don’t know if I’ve made it clearer or more confusing, but there are multiple layers to rights and ownership in the music business. For instance, when I copyright one of my CDs, I claim everything at once. I claim the words, music, performance, sound recording and artwork.

If you compare it to publishing a book;
The underlying musical idea = the written story
The phonorecord = the writer's manuscript
The sound recording = the printed book

The difference is, a sound recording can have many players involved in its production who are also entitled to ownership of their contribution.

Sorry for the long post.
This is all very interesting. I always wondered how this pie gets split up. I mean, Alizée had on her last album: several lyricists (sometimes more than one on a single song), several composers, performers, "producers" (whatever that means, ok maybe that was just Jérémy, but I thought maybe Sébastian (is that right?) as well) and then after that, she hired people, such as David Rubato, to create remixes. There are sound engineers/technicians, artists (such as Sissou), etc. So, what were there like 50 people involved in making that album? I suppose many of them worked through the intermediary of a company, like Institubes, and their work was "for hire" - created and then owned by Wisteria Song and RCA, who knows?

And then of course there's the promotional work - manager who books appearances (?) (in multiple countries with varying laws in this case), deals with getting body guards I suppose, etc., the record company who has the disks produced, posters, whatever merchandise (which sadly there was really little of last time presumably because the sales weren't there to justify the expense nor interest amongst the public), concerts involving a concert organizer, other performers such as the harlequins, the actual concert musicians, etc.

So yes, at that level, it's a complex "company effort". Alizée had a big team of people working on all this stuff. She'd have to be well established and have a cadre of people already in place in order to hire people directly and make direct decisions on so many things. Of course, that's how it appears to me as I too know nothing.

Merci Fanny
Old 11-13-2009, 07:20 AM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Cool

Cosmopolitan Article...

http://www.cosmopolitan.fr/,alizee-p...37,1066360.asp

Countless returns music, the artists who, annoyed by the shadow, wanted to return to the reassuring light of headlamps. Today is one of Alizée returns with a child of the century.

After a year of radio silence, Alizée could again be on a roll! The Corsican singer aged 25 years has made her comeback in the recording studio preparing for her new album, A child of the century.

Alizée promises a veritable tornado with a new game completely different from her previous albums. No more childish and music coming straight from the world of Mylène Farmer, the darling of Jérémy Chatelain became an accomplished woman.

For a child of the century, Alizée has chosen to collaborate with rapper Psyche Teki Latex and electro Chateau Marmont. It promises!

Hopefully the fourth album by the singer known as successful as Hurricane Delicacies!

Teen Mix article...

http://teemix.aufeminin.com/news/mus...ms/n37133.html

Two years after leaving Psychédélices, she has not met her public in France, Alizée is working on a new album, an opus "concept", entitled A Child of the Century, whose output would be expected by the end of the year or early 2010.

On the agenda: a totally new sound, orchestrated by a group of producers organized by the label Institubes (Chateau Marmont, David Rubato, Jerome Echenoz Rob and Tahiti Boy).

We can not wait to see what it will give ...

Alizee: Wowww!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

The whole music/publishing industry does indeed work in mysterious ways.
In 1978 i played drums in a band that released 1 solitary 7" single on an obscure independent label (Happy Face Records).
Over 30 years later i still receive the odd royalty cheque. Last year i received the grand total of 4p. I won't be retiring on the proceeds anytime soon.
I've been told that it's now largely down to Youtube and the agreement they have with record labels.
The single that i played drums on is now very valuable (i don't even have a copy any longer!) but someone has uploaded to Youtube and everytime someone plays it Youtube pay a miniscule ammount to the powers that be (whoever they are now?).
I'm thinking about putting it on repeat play for about a month and maybe next year my royalties could be in double figures
Here's it is if you want to hear it.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xNKvtO7jtjY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xNKvtO7jtjY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Be warned that the upload is terrible and you will need to crank the volume up a bit.
The band did go on to release other singles but i wasn't involved in them.
The drumming's good though.....say no more about the backing vocals
And before you ask....my name isn't Rob Peters.....it's a long story...perhaps for another day.

Last edited by Junkmale; 11-13-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Tags
2009, album, chateau, marmont