Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
I don't think anyone here is trying to 'diss' your idea and efforts in getting it up and running? Allthough, Ben can speak for himself, it looks to me that he just dosen't want to get involved in the admin side of it? Which is understandable.
Yeah, no hard feelings, didn't mean to rain on the parade! I did mention that I don't find this the best way to show our gratitude, though it's not a bad idea. And that's a separate point from the fact that I just can't practically have the money coming through me or the website. Guess I didn't give these threads proper attention earlier. I'd describe my reaction to Doc's PM a couple days ago asking for details on where to send the payments as, "Wait, what? When did this happen?"

Also, not to downplay donations (they're very much appreciated), but it's not like we're in danger of going under due to lack of funding or anything. When Brad started this site, the quality of Youtube videos was abysmal, and he wanted a place to share Alizée clips streaming in high quality. Keeping those running is what makes our costs so high, but Youtube's quality now meets or exceeds them, so I may look into more cost-effective ways to run the server in the future.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:33 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
When Brad started this site, the quality of Youtube videos was abysmal, and he wanted a place to share Alizée clips streaming in high quality. Keeping those running is what makes our costs so high, but Youtube's quality now meets or exceeds them, so I may look into more cost-effective ways to run the server in the future.
Yeah, the videos are what hooked me on this site, but like you say, you could now just upload them to YouTube and create pointers there or something. This site obviously does have so much in the way of discussions and stuff too. Though, I'm not really sure what hooks the new people now.

Anyway, thanks for also clarifying your position on this further.

Merci Fanny
Old 05-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Video hosting reform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
When Brad started this site, the quality of Youtube videos was abysmal, and he wanted a place to share Alizée clips streaming in high quality. Keeping those running is what makes our costs so high, but Youtube's quality now meets or exceeds them, so I may look into more cost-effective ways to run the server in the future.
Of course YouTube still imposes a ten-minute limit on clips, but one can always catenate a set of them via a playlist. I remember when Americans had nothing but ad-interrupted TV, and it didn't kill us. (Dana Carvey's SNL Old Codger says "And we liked it!") A burp between clips every ten minutes would be even less painful.

Support of playlists also let folks cue up a set of videos for a party, etc. Another benefit of using YouTube videos is that it is easy to embed them into Web pages, and well-known means exist to start a clip at an arbitrary point, helping one to illustrate some aspect of the clip. Add-on text-based captioning is supported, allowing one to turn such captions on or off. You can also employ annotations, so you can point at the dancer who falls down in Adelaide, etc. But be aware that any proprietary content may be flagged by the sophisticated "fingerprinting" system Google now uses to keep copyright holders happy.

Thus, migrating videos to YouTube not only would save money, but add functionality. If most of the $2,000 per year comes about from streaming video, perhaps one might compute the cost saving of moving the videos so many months earlier than scheduled, and outsource the migration for pay.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdtv View Post
Of course YouTube still imposes a ten-minute limit on clips, but one can always catenate a set of them via a playlist. I remember when Americans had nothing but ad-interrupted TV, and it didn't kill us. (Dana Carvey's SNL Old Codger says "And we liked it!") A burp between clips every ten minutes would be even less painful.
Well, that's debateable, but anyway... Yes, YouTube does now have annoying, in your face ads, etc.. So, they are certainly not perfect, but good enough I would say. They do offer high resolutions and quick loading. Look Google search, I use it and like it, but there's a certain tension sometimes.

Merci Fanny
Old 05-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Scruffydog777 agrees to be Scholarship Fund Treasurer

Hello Friends,

We will be keeping faith with the dozens of people at AAm who pledged money via one or the other of the two recent fund-raising inquiry polls. As you can see below, Scruffy has now agreed to act as Treasurer for the Scholarsrhip Fund!

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdtv
Hello Dave,
...Everyone knows you kept your word about getting signed CDs in return for the money you were sent. That's why you are the OBVIOUS choice to be the scholarship treasurer if Ben declines the honor of that position. If you say yes, I offer you every assistance I can render.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777
I'd be happy and honored to act as treasurer. It will just have to wait til I get back, late tomorrow hopefully, flying standby is always a challenge, to work out the final details.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
i'm...PSYCHODELICIOUS.

Människöpesten is on a distinguished road

Scruffy ftw.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 PM

MYGOGT is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks Scruffy!
I am sitting on the gulf coast right now and hope to see you soon and get updated on this much anticipated endeavor.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:53 AM

Alrighty, let's get moving...
It is officially called Ecole de danse de Monique Mufraggi. We have seen what kinds of instruction "packages" are offered. You can go to http://www.ecole-du-spectacle.com/index.html and find info and photos of performances. There are videos on YouTube... any questions?

Edit: you can join their fan club on Facebook.

Merci Fanny

Last edited by Roman; 05-12-2010 at 02:21 AM..
Old 05-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Gaspard?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Good to know!