Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRafe View Post
They would really have changed it drastically, and the “direction” that it was going to take, and I’m not sure if that it would have been in a “positive”, or “negative” direction…

My own personal feeling is that it would have “derailed” things totally, and that she would have lost a huge slice of her audience “demographic”, especially the “younger” and “family” sections, waaaay before she should have…

To be honest, there are sections/sectors of her audiences that would have loved that kind of thing, but, in the same “breath”, it would have disillusioned huge swaths of fans, and that would have cost her dearly…

So, yeah, "Provocative" doesn't necessarily mean "raunchy" or "vulgar", but, there is a very “fine line”, between them, that, in my own humble opinion, we have well overstepped, nowadays…
I agree with your points.

I think a time period where Alizee could have been tempted to go down this road is at the time of her separation. She already experienced rejection by her own husband and probably felt flawed. Maybe not pretty enough or sexy enough. Having nude or partially nude photos published and the attention she would get could have acted as a band-aid to temporarily cover her wounds but, as you said, would have cost her dearly over the long run. She would also have a lot of explaining to do to Annily.

I was scrolling through IG this morning and somebody posted a beautiful profile shot of Alizee that I never seen before. There is an IG member who comments a lot on Alizee pictures posted, and his comment this morning nails why Alizee is loved by so many. It also is relevant to this topic.

Your beauty is not showy and vulgar, it is sweet, gentle and modest, it is in your gestures, in your words and eyes.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy;267673

[I
Your beauty is not showy and vulgar, it is sweet, gentle and modest, it is in your gestures, in your words and eyes.[/I]

Edit:

She just needs her eyes to be provocative

Last edited by Aragorn97; 11-08-2019 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Silencio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What passes as “acceptable” nowadays, would probably have been regarded as being “outlandishly waaay over the top”, and just not “publicly acceptable”, "back in the day", when Alizée first started her music career…
The Kylie Minogue video I pointed to was presented in 2000, i.e. the year when Alizée was just starting her career. Do you consider Kylie vulgar or her style inappropriate for Alizée?

Quote:
What they did not “count on”, was the effect that Alizée had on the “Female Teens”, and “Female Preteens”, all the way down to the “little ones”…
My own personal feeling is that it would have “derailed” things totally, and that she would have lost a huge slice of her audience “demographic”, especially the “younger” and “family” sections, waaaay before she should have…
To be honest, there are sections/sectors of her audiences that would have loved that kind of thing, but, in the same “breath”, it would have disillusioned huge swaths of fans, and that would have cost her dearly…
I'm just wondering what are the target audiences of Madonna and Mylène Farmer, women who didn't consider shameful to "cross the line" but have been more successful than Alizée?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
Yes, eyes...

But how come Dua Lipa is more popular today? Are her bull eyes more provocative than Alizée's?

You may also ask 6.5 billion of people why they came to watch the completely idiotic Despacito clip. Is it because of somebody's eyes or of something else?

Last edited by Silencio; 11-08-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Old 11-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post

But how come Dua Lipa is more popular today? Are her bull eyes more provocative than Alizée's?
Maybe because Dua's dream is actually singing and that's where she is conveying her energy. But, if you ask me, I think it's because of this chubby face

Quote:
You may also ask 6.5 billion of people why they came to watch the completely idiotic Despacito clip. Is it because of somebody's eyes or of something else?
To be honest I have never watched it lol but I see what you mean because reggaeton is always the same.

Anyway I want to ask you a question: do you want a singer to be popular or to be real and inspired?

Every singer has his/her own style. But first and foremost, singers are... singers. I think you are giving too much importance to the physical aspect. Obviously nowadays a singer's persona could be even more significant than his/her talent (and that says it all!), but it all depends on what kind of singer you are looking for and, honestly, I don't like to think that Alizée's success is mainly due to her body (obviously it had its importance back then, but not more than her voice and "inner beauty"). Despacito is just the trend of the moment, it will be remembered only because of that YouTube record. So, you can't use it as an example, unless you want Alizée to be just a comet that will soon fall. Few years ago would you have recommended a weird dance while singing in Korean? O_o
So if you are looking for a singer that lifts her skirt (if she is even wearing one), I think you should avoid thinking about Alizée. There are thousands and thousands of singers that entered people hearts without selling their personality and Alizée's nature is precious and priceless because it is unique.
So yeah, I don't know how you see it but I like when artists can express themselves without thinking "how could I gain more money?". Maybe one day Alizée will change and become provocative as you wish, but will you be happy to see her "selling" her nature for fame? And don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have problems with a sudden change, I am talking about what should provoke that change.
And not to mention that right now coming back to music is the last thing that would come to Alizée's mind. It's is obviously the premise of every discussion made on the subject.

Edit:

Today's music is not all about eyes, skirts, sensuality and "crossing the line". Mina, who may be the greatest Italian female singer of all time, did her last concert more than 40 years ago. Then she decided she would never appeared in TV or internet after that. Now when she release a new song, it's still an extraordinary event. This is something that you can't build by following the trend of music. That's why what could work for other singers may not work for Alizée.

Last edited by Aragorn97; 11-08-2019 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-08-2019, 09:18 PM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alizee is an introvert, but there is extroversion in her eyes.

Beware!
Old 11-08-2019, 10:58 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Kylie Minogue video I pointed to was presented in 2000, i.e. the year when Alizée was just starting her career. Do you consider Kylie vulgar or her style inappropriate for Alizée?
Ahh… I remember Kylie well. Cute, tiny little girl, very “easy on the eye”, and very “easy on the ear”...

Did like to show off quite a lot of “flesh”, probably more than Alizée would have felt comfortable with at least at the start of her career. What had MF/LB planned for Alizée later, who knows?

Maybe that was one of the reasons they “broke up”, they may have wanted Alizée to go “further”, with regard to “letting it all hang out” than maybe she wanted to, amongst other reasons…

Quote:
I'm just wondering what are the target audiences of Madonna and Mylène Farmer, women who didn't consider shameful to "cross the line" but have been more successful than Alizée?
Now, the info on the demographics regarding Madonna’s and Mylène’s target audiences is probably out there somewhere, but, I will be honest, I’m not a fan of either, and am thus not exactly motivated to go and find out…

Respect to Mylène for all of her “musical achievements”, and her “professionalism”, but she is not “my cup of tea”…

She really can “put on a show”, though, can’t she! Awe inspiring…

Madonna, on the other hand, I just unashamedly “loathe”, and have no time at all for “her”, or any of her “work”…

My views on her, I will keep quiet about, for, welllll, for they are probably “actionable”…

Anyhow, a thing you can say that they both had in "common", was, the fact that they were quite prepared to go to any length required, to achieve the fame, or infamy, maybe, that they so desperately craved…

Hmm, brings to mind a cute old song…

Pretty self explanatory…

There were possibly certain “sacrifices” that would have to be made, to “pay”, for “fame”, that maybe, unlike Mylène, or Madonna, Alizée was not prepared to “forfeit” for…

She hints at this in some of her songs, methinks…

Anyhow, at the end of the day, “to yourself be true”…

And I unequivocally respect Alizée for being “true to herself”…

It looks like she is “where she wants to be”, “doing what she wants to do”, with “the people that she wants to be doing it with”…

Without having to compromise herself, to get what she wanted, in the end...

Last edited by RedRafe; 11-08-2019 at 11:06 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Despacito is just the trend of the moment, it will be remembered only because of that YouTube record. So, you can't use it as an example, unless you want Alizée to be just a comet that will soon fall. Few years ago would you have recommended a weird dance while singing in Korean? O_o
In no way I want Alizée to copy Dua Lipa, Despacito or Gangnam Style! Maybe a litle bit of Kylie . One member here asked Alizée to replicate Cœur de pirate, she fulfilled his desires, and what do we see today? A perplexed dancer covered by tatoos that gave up her singing career due to the failure of the last album whose name was also copied from a Cœur de pirate's album. I don't know how many years is it going to take to pull her out of this state and whether someone is able to do this at all.

Quote:
So if you are looking for a singer that lifts her skirt (if she is even wearing one), I think you should avoid thinking about Alizée.
Maybe one day Alizée will change and become provocative as you wish, but will you be happy to see her "selling" her nature for fame?
No, I was just wondering why she didn't continue with things she was doing at the beginning of her career like ML, JAM and JPVA. You're not going to deny that these songs' performances were provocative, are you? Do you remember her dress at Gourmandises on TV? For me it is obvious that natural evolution of such an image would be to go Kylie-way or something like that. It couldn't hurt, anyway.

Quote:
Anyway I want to ask you a question: do you want a singer to be popular or to be real and inspired?
An artist NEEDS to be popular because of two things.

Acknowledgement. This is required for an artist to get moral and emotional satisfaction from his/her work. It is very hard to realize that people don't need or don't respect your work and to "keep the bar high" at the same time. Hell, even many non-artists and not creative persons need an acknowledgement. They create Instagram accounts, post stupid photos and videos there and wait to collect as many likes and stupid comments as possible. Sometimes artists on vacation do the same because this replaces real acknowledgement from their listeners, spectators etc. They just cannot live without attention and acknowledgement!

Money. Needless to say, a quality artwork requires money to produce, promote and present it. This is especially true with regard to musicians. I think I don't need to enumerate here personnel and technical stuff they need to record albums, make videos and give concerts. And, of course, as the rest of the people, artists earn money to ensure their own livelihood.

So what happened to the singer Alizée when she became unpopular? Right, that singer just disappeared.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
In no way I want Alizée to copy Dua Lipa, Despacito or Gangnam Style! Maybe a litle bit of Kylie . One member here asked Alizée to replicate Cœur de pirate, she fulfilled his desires, and what do we see today? A perplexed dancer covered by tatoos that gave up her singing career due to the failure of the last album whose name was also copied from a Cœur de pirate's album. I don't know how many years is it going to take to pull her out of this state and whether someone is able to do this at all.
Why are you always so negative (or ironic) about her being a dancer and having tattoos?
Sometimes it seems you are talking about a drug addict that needs to go to rehabilitation

Anyway, I would like to see again Alizée the singer but I'm ok with the state of play. I would have been extremely sad if she had become the type of singer who desperately tries to make people know that she exists.
And, again, she is happy now. She has lived in both worlds: entertainment business and normal life. Now she is too busy, but in a few years she will have to make a definitive choice among them. Or has she made a decision yet? Hmm...
However, I see no negative aspects in her life now.
(The tattoos matter is overrated in my opinion.)

Quote:

No, I was just wondering why she didn't continue with things she was doing at the beginning of her career like ML, JAM and JPVA. You're not going to deny that these songs' performances were provocative, are you? Do you remember her dress at Gourmandises on TV? For me it is obvious that natural evolution of such an image would be to go Kylie-way or something like that. It couldn't hurt, anyway.
I love the beginning of her career and, as I told you, I have no problem with artists being provocative. But the question is the typology of provocation. I think we all can agree that no one has ever seen anything like that lolita.
I think the comment CleverCowboy reported is quite explanatory. It was something about her nature, not her dresses. So why didn't she continue? This is the core of the question. One phrase: she wanted to be herself. I think being relegated to be just a mask is very oppressive. I think this is the explanation.
Did she manage to be herself after leaving Mylene? I don't know. Does she manage to be herself now? I think she certainly does.

Quote:

An artist NEEDS to be popular because of two things.

Acknowledgement. This is required for an artist to get moral and emotional satisfaction from his/her work. It is very hard to realize that people don't need or don't respect your work and to "keep the bar high" at the same time. Hell, even many non-artists and not creative persons need an acknowledgement. They create Instagram accounts, post stupid photos and videos there and wait to collect as many likes and stupid comments as possible. Sometimes artists on vacation do the same because this replaces real acknowledgement from their listeners, spectators etc. They just cannot live without attention and acknowledgement!

Money. Needless to say, a quality artwork requires money to produce, promote and present it. This is especially true with regard to musicians. I think I don't need to enumerate here personnel and technical stuff they need to record albums, make videos and give concerts. And, of course, as the rest of the people, artists earn money to ensure their own livelihood.
Yeah, it's true. I didn't mean that an artist must be either himself/herself or famous. I mean that everyone, even normal people, needs to find a balance between the two things. And that balance is how you live your life.
And I'm not saying that famous singers rejected their own nature or that they are all false. I just think that some of them are very lucky because their way to be is what people like these years. Maybe Alizée was lucky in the same way back then.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Why are you always so negative (or ironic) about her being a dancer and having tattoos?
Sometimes it seems you are talking about a drug addict that needs to go to rehabilitation
Because it looks like this. If dancing was the passion of her life, why didn't she switched to dancing immediately after the break-up with Mylène? Did Jérémy prohibit her from doing this? It looks like somebody had to give her that pill precisely at the moment she felt depressed.

Quote:
And, again, she is happy now.
How do you know that?

Quote:
I love the beginning of her career and, as I told you, I have no problem with artists being provocative. But the question is the typology of provocation. I think we all can agree that no one has ever seen anything like that lolita.
I think the comment CleverCowboy reported is quite explanatory. It was something about her nature, not her dresses. So why didn't she continue? This is the core of the question. One phrase: she wanted to be herself. I think being relegated to be just a mask is very oppressive. I think this is the explanation.
The majority of singers play some roles during their professional activity, just like actors. There is a small part of them, called singer-songwriters, that can afford to not play a role and sing about themselves, but this is definitely not the case when it comes to Alizée. Serge Gainsbourg could afford it, but Alizée couldn't. Moreover, I don't think she was unhappy when she was playing a role written for her by Mylène. At least, she didn't look unhappy at her 2003 TV interviews. She was tired in that very stressful year, but it is completely different thing.

So after the break she took, why didn't she continue to play a role written by Mylène, herself, Jérémy or someone else? Imagine Leonardo DiCaprio announcing that he is so tired that studios should only propose him to star in films about himself. Who'd be working with such an actor?

In contrast, if I understood correctly from the last Alizée/Greg interview, they are thinking about a musical based on their own lives. That's nonsense! I don't mean their lives are nonsense, I mean such a musical would be meaningless and insipid.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Because it looks like this. If dancing was the passion of her life, why didn't she switched to dancing immediately after the break-up with Mylène? Did Jérémy prohibit her from doing this? It looks like somebody had to give her that pill precisely at the moment she felt depressed.
Because people change over time. She was only 22-23 when she left Mylene... She was too young. Moreover she rushed into a marriage, had a child... Everything happened so fast. And let's be honest, I don't know if she has a high-school diploma (we know she studied in a correspondence school but I don't know if she got a certificate) but when she was a teenager she "only" learned to be a singer. So I presume that continuing on that road was the most natural and obvious choice. And as I said, she was too young: when you are 23 you can't say "now that I'm rich I will never work another day of my life". And I think that, after leaving Mylene, her main goal was to prove that she could be successful even without her mentor.

Quote:
How do you know that?

My speculation counts as much as yours. But it should be normal for a person to be happy after a marriage and a child. Of course we know nothing about her life and how long everything will last, but I have rarely seen someone who is at peace with herself as Alizée is.

Quote:
Moreover, I don't think she was unhappy when she was playing a role written for her by Mylène. At least, she didn't look unhappy at her 2003 TV interviews. She was tired in that very stressful year, but it is completely different thing.
I think the same. But would that life suit her now?

Quote:
Imagine Leonardo DiCaprio announcing that he is so tired that studios should only propose him to star in films about himself. Who'd be working with such an actor?
Yep... Indeed, who is working Alizée with?

(Anyway these kind of famous actors actually choose their roles among the ones they are proposed. Alizée proposed herself the main role of her new movie)

Quote:
I mean such a musical would be meaningless and insipid
Really? I didn't know about the musical. I don't know if It would be meaningless. Their love story is full of coincidences, it would be nice to "hear" it from their own "words". But I don't know, I detest musicals