Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 10-27-2008, 02:34 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

People have 4 vocabularies for a language.
Reading is typically the largest.
I forget whether listening or writing is next (I believe writing).
The least is typically speaking.

She understands written English very well. However, she is reluctant to speak it.

Very natural.

Last edited by Rev; 10-27-2008 at 02:44 AM..
Old 10-27-2008, 11:57 AM

Quantum is on a distinguished road

There seems to be a diversity of opinion as to the extent of Alizée's English skills, let alone whether she does in fact ever visit this site or follow any particular thread. Were it me I would want to know what fans are thinking and saying - but that's just my interest. I do agree though that reading any new language is much easier than speaking it, or comprehending it when spoken to.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I *am* okey dokey

YesterdaysAirRace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I do agree though that reading any new language is much easier than speaking it, or comprehending it when spoken to.
Sure, since, when reading, one can take all the time needed, look things up, re-read it--not to mention there's no accent, slurring, etc, and most printed material is gramattically correct and not as colloquial.

Then again, these message boards aren't edited printed matter. They're also full of a lot of snarky humor. I'm pretty sure that humor is the last thing a person gets in a foreign language, written or otherwise; except for really crass jokes, humor is a pretty sophisticated concept that requires a lot of unspoken context. Given that, you'd probably all be better off if she never came within a mile of this place.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesterdaysAirRace View Post
Then again, these message boards aren't edited printed matter. They're also full of a lot of snarky humor.
Snarky humor? Here? I'm sure I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that humor is the last thing a person gets in a foreign language, written or otherwise; except for really crass jokes, humor is a pretty sophisticated concept that requires a lot of unspoken context. Given that, you'd probably all be better off if she never came within a mile of this place.
Yeah. I'm fairly certain she'd read my posts and think "I do believe that poor Canadian boy is retarded...nothing he types makes sense!"

Oh well...maybe she'll like the Star Wars sigs and believe me to be an artistically talented retard...
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

It has been brought up before about Alizée spending time reading her fan sites. She confirmed it in an interview shortly after we were discussing her right before her come back. I remember the translation of the interview where it was like she was reading verbatim from one of our members post.

Why would she spend time learning English unless she plans on expanding her market in to the English speaking world? Face it you have a market of 30 million French speaking fans or over two billion potential English speaking fans. If you don't know it, China has the largest English speaking population in the world.

She would be a fool if she wasn't paying attention to the English boards.
From what we can tell her biggest market is outside of France.

I shocked a journalist who writes on French life for a London newspaper.
I sent him the link on Chickapedia where out of the top 100, Alizée was ranked 25th. He is based in Paris and he was floored that Alizée was this popular. He told me he has to get out more in Paris. He absolutely had no clue she was this popular around the world. Seems France's media has no idea how famous she is outside their borders.
Also didn't she say she also knows some Spanish. And how many concerts did she have in Mexico?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:33 PM

Quantum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
It has been brought up before about Alizée spending time reading her fan sites. She confirmed it in an interview shortly after we were discussing her right before her come back. I remember the translation of the interview where it was like she was reading verbatim from one of our members post.

Why would she spend time learning English unless she plans on expanding her market in to the English speaking world? Face it you have a market of 30 million French speaking fans or over two billion potential English speaking fans. If you don't know it, China has the largest English speaking population in the world.

She would be a fool if she wasn't paying attention to the English boards.
From what we can tell her biggest market is outside of France.

I shocked a journalist who writes on French life for a London newspaper.
I sent him the link on Chickapedia where out of the top 100, Alizée was ranked 25th. He is based in Paris and he was floored that Alizée was this popular. He told me he has to get out more in Paris. He absolutely had no clue she was this popular around the world. Seems France's media has no idea how famous she is outside their borders.
Also didn't she say she also knows some Spanish. And how many concerts did she have in Mexico?

That is encouraging because I do have some ideas to relate to her or her organization. Let's hope she reads this thread, and not before too long.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 PM
A-Team

edgar93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sure, since, when reading, one can take all the time needed, look things up, re-read it--not to mention there's no accent, slurring, etc, and most printed material is gramattically correct and not as colloquial.
Be sure of that . Its SUPER hard to understand people speaking other language when you dont have experience. And when people speaks you with colloquial language or slang... just like happens with me in highschool, what a hard time .

Just imagine:

Hey Yo, Alizee, ´sup!
Alizee:

Last edited by edgar93; 10-27-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Old 10-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Then again, these message boards aren't edited printed matter. They're also full of a lot of snarky humor. I'm pretty sure that humor is the last thing a person gets in a foreign language, written or otherwise; except for really crass jokes, humor is a pretty sophisticated concept that requires a lot of unspoken context. Given that, you'd probably all be better off if she never came within a mile of this place.
Offtopic but your location is hauntingly similar to the Fibonacci number sequence.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 PM
In pursuit...

mavsluver41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
Offtopic but your location is hauntingly similar to the Fibonacci number sequence.
From the man who damns school and all its scribbling, shuffling tedium . You can no longer claim education is useless; without it, you would still be scratching your head and wondering what those funny numbers were .
Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 PM

Lerxst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
Tool would be proud.
Lateralus