Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News > UEdS Media

Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Well I just ordered six copies. First five people who contact me can get one for $10, which is about $5 cheaper than ordering from Journaux. Of course you'll have to wait until the issues arrive. If there's more demand I may order a second batch. Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention this is for USA members only. International shipping would cost me more, so you're better off just ordering from journaux.fr anyway.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:03 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
I think I might disagree here. I think she's doing more than copying Madonna. I think this might convey a number of subtle messages.

First, as I said, the title. Madonna wrote a song called "Who's That Girl?" in 1986. It appeared on the soundtrack of the movie with the same name. BUT -- this picture was not for that song. It was for a different Madonna song, "Like A Virgin." Why the mix and match of photo and title? I think Alizée is saying: don't assume you know me, just because you know my past. Who's that girl? Wait and see.

Second, the general tone of the picture, complete with "Boy Toy" belt -- very sexy, even a bit sluttish. If there is one thing about her image in the Psychédélices era that lagged, it was the (apparently deliberate) dampening of sex appeal. But then, the Mylène years saw Alizée perhaps overplaying that aspect (under Mylène's tutelage), complete with hints of pederasty. (In both Moi . . . Lolita and Gourmandises. Less so with the second album, but still pronounced sexuality.)

So with Psych she went full-throttle the other direction. Now this teaser, which seems to suggest that she is well aware of what a hot little number she is, and is not ashamed of it. But this is a Madonna mock-up, not an original Alizée. And Madonna, of course, is famous for scorching sexuality in performance and photos. So here she's saying, "Yes, I can do this, too. But in the end, I will have my own style. So don't necessarily expect this kind of thing, which is not that different from what I did for JEAM in its suggestiveness. This shows you that I won't hide my sexiness or run from it. But who's that girl? Again, don't assume you already know!" This because it IS a Madonna mock-up, not an original Alizée. Not real -- yet suggesting what the reality might be.

I realize that's a lot to take away from one photo, but I do see all of that suggested in it. I imagine the interview will clarify a lot of things.
Well, you know all of this only because you have observed Alizée closely for years. So yes, she said that again her album will be different and so I can buy your interpretation of that as a way to let the public know it. It's pretty simple. It's a provocative cover to get attention and once again Alizée will explain who she is in the interview; so, the text makes sense. I can't guess who had the idea to have her pose that way. Even in all this time, I can't say I know Alizée well enough to judge that.

It's a promo photo. If Alizée wears something that is not especially sexy, it doesn't necessarily mean that she's rebelling even though she was ultra-sexy in the past. It could be that she just felt like wearing that. I could understand that if she is married with child she doesn't have that natural desire to flirt as much anymore. But, it's not like Alizée only ever wore flannel shirts and slacks during her last promotion. She certainly had some fun and sexy outfits when she was on tv and in her video. But yes, she did make a point of saying she was not going to intentionally use her sexuality to drive interest (unfortunately ) and maybe that was a bit of rebellion of the sort that says 'I want to be taken seriously as an artist, not just a sex symbol'. Whatever.

This is a rather overt photo, which coming from Madonna is right on par, though it was from the time when she was just sexy and appealing without having to turn to obvious shock treatment. Maybe it's the kind of thing that Alizée likes about Madonna. This is an image from when Alizée was young (when I was a kid actually). I don't think I ever noticed that "boy toy" before though. She said she doesn't like everything about Madonna, but as she said in ALS's video, she admires Madonna's ability to create her own universe and stay relevant. As she said, not everyone can do that. Mylène is another who has done a lot of that. Alizée would be lucky to be able to do that and make it through the work necessary to maintain popularity too. So, Alizée has good reason to find a high degree of energy and ability to manage one's career as impressive as any of us would find it, but she is in the position of having been challenged by the same thing; so, for her it's not even just a simple matter of whether or not she likes Madonna's style, but that she has some understanding of what Madonna's achievements mean. Alizée not quite giving up on that dream of working with Madonna yet? I don't know.

@Pizza, Ben was saying that the tag line wouldn't make sense, but that's the song this photo is associated with.

@ALS, not so sure about your conclusions, but thanks for posting the video. I had forgotten some of that or maybe never saw the translation. (watch, AC Mix probably sent me that edit as soon as he was done It was a long time ago!) Alizée's grandma had her mother when she was 17? Yikes. In these times, here, that would be pretty extreme. Though, I had a teacher once who's mother was like 13 when she had him. Oops.

@Ben, I think I know what you are saying. If it had been something akin to that which Alizée chose out of her own sense of wanting to be appealing and she liked it, that would be a different story.

So, I'd point out a difference. Madonna had/has the ability to appeal creatively, but she also eventually chose to do just anything that would get her attention, including plenty of vulgar "shock sensation". I remember when she came out with the big cone bra and we were like, what the heck is that about!? So, one could take that as a rather cheap trick that's more about being gutsy than appealing (though still creative I guess). Alizée on the other hand seems to do more of just whatever she feels like doing, often without any apparent purpose (apparent to me anyway). Which is better? That can only be answered from her point of view.

I still don't think Alizée is going to become Madonna. It's one photo! Though I'd agree with Ben that I'd like to see a persona/image just as appealing, but unique to Alizée and coming from her. For the image or persona to really "work", we have to believe that it defines something about her. That is what we believed about her persona when she was an adolescent and I think she believed it too, within her understanding of who was making what decisions and suggestions and I still believe that she simply was the girl we saw. Alizée and the demands of her image are more complicated now. Ah! Women!

Merci Fanny
Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Century Child

First summary:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst-R @ Lilly Town
Je l'ai ! Eh ben il se sera fait désiré hein ! Chez moi, à Avignon, ils l'ont reçu ce matin.
Au niveau des photos, c'est excellent. Au niveau des compliments qu'elle reçoit, du magazine, des CM et de ROB, c'est aussi excellent. Par contre, petite déception, le contenu de l'article. Elle n'y parle pas vraiment de l'album.
Tout ce qu'on apprend c'est :
- sortie en mars
- il s'agit bien d'un album concept sur Edie et la Factory
- deux titres : Coeur fendre et La candida (la chanson en espagnol donc)
- La maison de disque n'a donné aucune directive et n'a rien contrôler, l'album a beaucoup plu quand Alizée leur à présenter
- 4 titres de Chateau-Marmont
Après elle repend des infos sur sa carrière. Rien de plus. Dommage. Mais ça fait quand même plaisir !
Nice photos, good interviews with Chateau-Marmont and Rob. Alizée's interview by contrast is a little thin on information. All we learn about the new album is that it will be released in March, and is indeed about Edie Sedgwick and the Factory. Two songs are "Coeur fendre" (cracked heart) and "La Candida" (the Spanish song). Alizée had complete creative control, the record label was not involved. Four songs by Chateau-Marmont.

And scans!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Cool

Well I just woke up minutes ago, went to the forum and saw the picture on the magazine cover. What an eye opener! After believing for so long that she wanted to get away from that sexy image that MF had built for her, this was totally unexpected. I'm not crazy about it. I think she still has a lot of natural beauty which could have been shown in other ways, but I'm not condemming it either. It shows one thing that she now realizes appearence will play a role in her career. That's something she didn't seem to put that much effort into with psych. It shows she's trying hard, she wants to succeed.

This just throws another equation into the complex formula we all know as Alizée.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Don't forget perhaps the best photo:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7396/21719496.jpg

Maybe this is the album cover?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default 2010-01-05 Technikart magazine

SUMMER 2000 SHE TOOK OVER OUR VILLAGES. WINTER 2010, SHE TAKES OVER US.

Ten years ago, Alizée was a whirlwind : more than two million of “Moi… Lolita” snapped up in the megastores of France. The irresistable popstar returns with an album that lanches the trend of the “10” years (2010-2020) : back in the mainstream, creative and charming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Toc de Mac, yes, we can't overlook that page. I don't know about album cover, but with her bare neck like that it reminds me of Edie Sedgwick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An answer to the question of what La Candida might mean: " Is it Tony Orlando's or El Lebrijano's song? Anyway.... in the first it means a woman's name. Candida is a Spanish name for women meaning "Candid" or innocent. In the second it works as an adjective for Erendida, another woman's name. Hope it helps. " So, I guess that it's about an innocent type of woman. Where are our Mexicans?

Merci Fanny

Last edited by Roman; 01-05-2010 at 08:37 AM..
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Roman
I'm thinking she is letting us know that she is has no plans of putting out two albums with a similar sound. Like Madonna she intends to be innovative and constantly changing her style and sound, evolving and growing as a performer.

Based of the body language she is confident that the path she has chosen is the right one for her career.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Century Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toc De Mac View Post

Indeed! Pure class. That got me way more psyched (pardon the pun) than the cover!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road
Talking oh yah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Indeed! Pure class. That got me way more psyched (pardon the pun) than the cover!
that emblem would be the sickest cover man....haha nice pun
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Sitting by the bay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toc De Mac View Post

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7396/21719496.jpg

Maybe this is the album cover?

Did anyone else notice the new "A" in the upper right hand corner?