Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 12-12-2008, 11:06 PM

CWatkins is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
Gourmandises: Wow!
Mes Courants Électriques: "Hold me".
Psychédélices: "Got a light"?
If I had never heard of Alizée before and someone gave me a CD of Psychédélices, I would've been uninterested and moved on to the next singer. On the other hand, if someone showed me a copy of either Gourmandises or Mes Courants Électriques, I would've bought them and played them repeatedly. I'm not saying that Psychédélices is bad, but in my opinion, it's a mix of songs that don't quite know how to get along and I think it's a result of having too many different songwriters each writing a song or two. With her other CDs, you had a single voice. I think it's a necessary evil as she figures out what works for her and her fans now because she's not going back to the Lolita we all know. Also, believe it or not, it's not that she looks pretty in a skirt that attracted me to her, although it helps, it was her voice that got my attention. For better or for worse, she has outgrown that voice but I'm already a fan so I listen to the songs on Psychédélices from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchaikovsky View Post
What are you saying?
The "Got a light" reference is probably in reference to Psychédélices giving people a sense of someone being high on mushrooms or marijuana when writing that song and when I finally found a translated version of it, I took that song off my playlist. I wish for the best of luck for Alizée, but if she continues making songs that make me wonder if it's supposed to be listened to while high on LSD, then I'll stop buying her albums because I don't care for that kind of music.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 PM

whitey® is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chommpers View Post
Another reason could be that her fans grew up too. Some of the fans from Gour and MCE had 3 years of growing up and maybe they just don't care for that type of music anymore. I think a lot of her previous fan base was teenage girls and and they grew up. So Alizée came 3 years later with a lower fan base and the music wasn't the same so then more moved on. Maybe not the entire reason but another reason maybe.
I guess most of he fan base kinda forgot about her , 3 years can be a long time and her comeback wasn't as publicized as much as it should have been. Still plenty of time for her to regain popularity, I wouldn't worry about it.

The second angel poured his bowl into the sea,and it became like the blood of a dead man.
-APOCALYPSE
Old 12-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkins
The "Got a light" reference is probably in reference to Psychédélices giving people a sense of someone being high on mushrooms or marijuana when writing that song and when I finally found a translated version of it, I took that song off my playlist. I wish for the best of luck for Alizée, but if she continues making songs that make me wonder if it's supposed to be listened to while high on LSD, then I'll stop buying her albums because I don't care for that kind of music.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPQJQbef8e8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DPQJQbef8e8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkins View Post
Psychédélices is primarily about spiritual enlightenment. Any cryptic drug references are mainly a code for that. It's definitely not just about drugs. I have a long post on that song here:

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...?t=2875&page=2

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 12-13-2008, 04:46 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

1. gone too long
2. "continuity" problems (style, looks, voice, music all different)
3. didn't come back and really wow people with slick performances (though she had some good ones, some looked unpolished and/or unpracticed and/or lip syncing has it's limits)
4. had music and lyrics that were over people's heads (some French people don't even understand Lilly Town for example and don't try)(but how is Mon Taxi Driver not appealing? She has some hotness in her songs you can see if you understand the lyrics. Maybe people hear it, but just don't feel it from her. ?? (or don't hear it because they didn't get the opportunity to hear the song)
5. not a great year for it (particularly '08)
6. music simply did not catch the souls of enough people right away
7. buzz/interest amongst fans either squandered or production lags missed their timing mark
8. didn't make use of the fact that fans were at least as much a fan of Alizée as her music and didn't cultivate them well enough (or eventually at all)
9. promotion was not at gigantic star levels from the beginning and as sales did not take off, some things eventually just dwindled and it was an uphill battle that died quietly

If Alizée is going to be able to keep making music, she'll have to find within herself the ability to "make it happen" somehow or team up with someone who can. Maybe her next album will be even better and we can at least enjoy that aspect. The fact that people are still around is interesting though. I have looked for sites for bigger stars and not found places like this. I wish she would have at least been able to maintain a better continuity with her Mexican market. She appeared for the award, but I wonder what 6 months of cricket chirping silence except for that one moment is doing to her popularity there. They were so excited there, like nothing I've experienced before. I am afraid that she has left them with nothing to direct all that energy toward. Well, they are the people who got all excited and created a huge following in her total absence before. Maybe they do have some staying power over there. Of course it's different. I can say "we'll see" except that the only thing to see is how her sales and fan excitement are whenever she decides to again present something to the public and it's anyone's guess as to when that is. That's the thing. It's hard to maintain high levels of excitement when one has no idea if or when something is going to happen. Maybe things are cooling down, but will pick up again when she actually appears. If I was not certifiably mentally ill I'd find it a wonder that I'm still here talking about the same stuff.

I wish I was French and she had the same level of popular there because talking about the lyrics to her songs and such is the more interesting thing we can do.

I also think she needed and still needs a hook completely outside of the music. Other singers do acting and other stuff. I think if she could actually squeeze more out of her life into her career that she could create interest by doing other stuff. Also, I think she still can get into various shows like Les Enfoirés and that Monaco concert if she wants to. I hope it's because she's busy creating for us another kick ass album that she's not doing that kind of stuff. Of course, what do I know? I'm not in the business.

Merci Fanny
Old 12-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I am truly disappointed that we have reached a point in time when producing a good album isn’t good enough. Many people are of the mind that if a song doesn’t take the world by storm then it’s not worth buying. And what’s really sad is that many of the songs nowadays that are big hits are junk anyway, relying on slick marketing rather than substance and quality.

Often artists are rewarded with huge sales numbers when they keep their names and faces in the media by doing things that I hope to never see Alizée do. It’s a tough environment for people like Alizée. Many of her problems are due to the mindset of the music buying public and the industry itself, and I’m glad she has chosen to take the high road. 200,000 CDs sold is not bad considering all that she has been up against. If she can continue to have at least enough success to maintain her career and financial well being, then I would say that’s success enough. If she manages to have a bit hit again in the future, then that is just icing on the cake.

The only thing I would say to Alizée is don't forget about your core fans. Don't leave them hanging so long.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I am truly disappointed that we have reached a point in time when producing a good album isn’t good enough. Many people are of the mind that if a song doesn’t take the world by storm then it’s not worth buying. And what’s really sad is that many of the songs nowadays that are big hits are junk anyway, relying on slick marketing rather than substance and quality.

Often artists are rewarded with huge sales numbers when they keep their names and faces in the media by doing things that I hope to never see Alizée do. It’s a tough environment for people like Alizée. Many of her problems are due to the mindset of the music buying public and the industry itself, and I’m glad she has chosen to take the high road. 200,000 CDs sold is not bad considering all that she has been up against. If she can continue to have at least enough success to maintain her career and financial well being, then I would say that’s success enough. If she manages to have a bit hit again in the future, then that is just icing on the cake.

The only thing I would say to Alizée is don't forget about your core fans. Don't leave them hanging so long.
Yeah but I must say there are always these two sides to the story. Some people say Alizée is manufactured and on her own she would not even have been a singer probably. There was definitely slick marketing involved with Alizée. However, whatever one can say about Alizée, the first two albums were great musically speaking and then she went on her own and produced a good album too. I have definitely heard some crappy musically shallow songs on the radio and that Alizée songs are not.

Edit: there is some really great music in some Alizée remixes. So much of the music I hear on the radio is just boring. I'm tired of it. I'm glad Alizée had a variety on Psychédélices, just wish it had a bit more oomph to get people's attention.

Merci Fanny

Last edited by Roman; 12-13-2008 at 06:02 PM..
Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 PM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
1. gone too long
2. "continuity" problems (style, looks, voice, music all different)
3. didn't come back and really wow people with slick performances (though she had some good ones, some looked unpolished and/or unpracticed and/or lip syncing has it's limits)
4. had music and lyrics that were over people's heads (some French people don't even understand Lilly Town for example and don't try)(but how is Mon Taxi Driver not appealing? She has some hotness in her songs you can see if you understand the lyrics. Maybe people hear it, but just don't feel it from her. ?? (or don't hear it because they didn't get the opportunity to hear the song)
5. not a great year for it (particularly '08)
6. music simply did not catch the souls of enough people right away
7. buzz/interest amongst fans either squandered or production lags missed their timing mark
8. didn't make use of the fact that fans were at least as much a fan of Alizée as her music and didn't cultivate them well enough (or eventually at all)
9. promotion was not at gigantic star levels from the beginning and as sales did not take off, some things eventually just dwindled and it was an uphill battle that died quietly
So, what's the latest on this since I was last around ? When we last spoke we pretty much agreed that they (the "new" team) needed to get this swinging right away especially after the Oct. postponement.

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...
Old 12-17-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Wood View Post
So, what's the latest on this since I was last around ? When we last spoke we pretty much agreed that they (the "new" team) needed to get this swinging right away especially after the Oct. postponement.
Well, though it seems to defy simple logic the only thing I have heard are rumors that Sony will try to resurrect (as one person put it) Psychédélices later, someday. Of course, we have little idea about what anyone working on this is doing so maybe they have reasons that could be somewhat sensible for waiting.
In other words, there is no latest, but some people still believe Alizée and her album will be back.

Merci Fanny
Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
its hard to say, im sure there are a lot of reasons, but honestly the main reason has to be the music.
I agree. I'm one of those fans that didn't buy the third album - the songs I heard just didn't do anything for me. I'm sure part of that has more to do with ME than it does with the album, so I'm hesitant to say much more than that. Still, it felt a little...uninspired, I guess. Maybe that's due to too many songwriters/producers, and thus a lack of unified creative vision (as another poster already commented).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
So much of the music I hear on the radio is just boring. I'm tired of it.
My advice would be to look for music in places other than the (mainstream?) radio.

Last edited by Ben; 12-30-2008 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Merged