Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Old Geezer & Music Critic

AmericanFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
We'll see. She's really a very good performer. I doubt anyone will ever laugh at her except when that's what she wants. I laughed at her guitar-playing schtick in En Concert, when she looked so cute-but-absurd wearing that guitar that seemed bigger than she was and strumming ineptly with that grim expression on her face, or when she caught on to what the other guitarist was having her do with her hand, and pushed him away with that "you rascal" smile.

I think she could do something along those lines for Decollage. If people laugh, they'll laugh with her not at her.
En Concert was awesome! The guitar thing was one of my favorite parts! I was too busy thinking how great she is to waste time laughing.
Rap just sucks. I don't think even Alizee can make it tolerable.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFan View Post
Rap just sucks. I don't think even Alizee can make it tolerable.
To be precise, this is really hip-hop, not rap, because it has singing in important parts of it, not just rapping.

Most rap does suck, I agree. But that's because most rap is violent, sexist, and generally awful. In other words, it's not the musical form, it's the lyrics. These lyrics are different. They're good.

I think she and Oxmo both sound good here, have to differ with Espire on that. I love this song.

Hey, you don't have to agree, though. I know better than to argue with an old Boomer.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 12-03-2007, 01:04 AM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's misguided to want to continue seeing your favourite artist perform and create music. People seem to forget that the music industry is also a business. If you want to attract talented people to work with you, you must have the record sales backing you up.

Certainly Alizee has earned my support for the reasons with which we are all familiar and I will continue buying her music because I don't want her to disappear (and I'm not even a big fan of her current release).

I will be (pleasantly) surprised if she ever matches her previous success and I'm not really expecting it. Afterall, she set the bar pretty high even for herself, not to mention she's a different person now.

Nonetheless I'm eager to find out what she has to offer, and even if this release isn't a huge success, I don't want her to quit!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:51 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Alizée America, Oscar!

(and a fellow Torontonian as well, such a treat!)
Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
OK, DJ_Greg, I understand where you are coming from and it's cool. Apparently my previous post should not have been directed at someone who feels the way you do. You've already done something for her anyways, you played her music.
Thanks, but I played a card I shouldn't have.

Quote:
Personally, I love the new album. I've enjoyed her so much in the past year that I think she should get something from me in return. It's not a "misguided sense of obligation" in my case. Maybe I would characterize it more as a sense of devotion for all the enjoyment and entertainment I've received so far at no signifcant cost to me.
The "misguided sense of obligation" was directed at me (as in, if I bought the CD, it'd be out of a misguided sense of obligation), although that probably wasn't clear from the way I posted it.

Anyway...just apologizing if there was any excessively harsh "tone" to my post. I think I was in a bad mood that day.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurvonic View Post
if i may be so bold, DJ_Greg, i think your new girlfriend got to your head.

and i suggest you listen to Lily Town again!
Quite possibly! She's got me listening to Iron & Wine (whose music I'm really growing to love).

Honestly, I think I'm just reverting to my former tastes. Or, they never went away, and I just had a passing phase of liking a particular slice of French pop music. But the interest just isn't there for me anymore. I don't know why...
Old 12-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Member

WindReaver is on a distinguished road

This album will be criticized a lot because people won't like all of the music styles on it. So it is not a love it or hate it type of thing. While the less-liked songs do grow on you after a couple listens, the general public is not going to give them the chance that we do. I didn't really like L'effet much on the first listen but found myself waking up this morning with the song in my head... I had to go listen to it, and I still don't like it nearly as much as a few of the others. lol
Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 PM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
Thanks, but I played a card I shouldn't have.

The "misguided sense of obligation" was directed at me (as in, if I bought the CD, it'd be out of a misguided sense of obligation), although that probably wasn't clear from the way I posted it.

Anyway...just apologizing if there was any excessively harsh "tone" to my post. I think I was in a bad mood that day.
Well, you could send me the CD when your through with it. Let me know when to PM you my address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
Quite possibly! She's got me listening to Iron & Wine (whose music I'm really growing to love).

Honestly, I think I'm just reverting to my former tastes. Or, they never went away, and I just had a passing phase of liking a particular slice of French pop music. But the interest just isn't there for me anymore. I don't know why...
You've been walking in the desert for a long time, come sit in the shade and have a drink of water to revive your spirits and quench your thirst.

To be honest, I love the 2 initial songs (Fifty Sixty and Mademoiselle Juliette) and was indifferent with the others (when they were made available on her MySpace). Well, maybe not Par Les Paupières (I'm really loving it). When I first heard Décollage, I didn't know what to think but "oh my words, what was that." But, I've been listening to the whole album ever since and I'm enjoying and appreciating all of them in their own rights.

Also, have you gone back to read her latest Biography? It may help you understand where the album is coming from.

BTW, glad to see (or read) from you again.

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...
Old 12-04-2007, 02:44 AM
J.B.G. (James Bond Guy)

Stumpy298 is on a distinguished road

You know, i don't think the new album is bad, but in my opinion her two previous albums were better. its just a matter of opinion, but i think if she was to sort of mix and match her styles together on her next (if there will be one) album. Such as one or two songs made with her former producers, as well as this new style shes taken up. That way she gets to make music that she finds more "her" that people will listen to because its on an album with a song as popular as moi... Lolita.

Don't get me wrong, im not saying that i don't like the new album, because its great. I'm just saying that (particularly her 2nd album) was much better than what she's recently put out.

I recently found out about Alizee while i was just minding my own buisness on youtube (about 2-3 months ago) then was delighted and pleased when i found out in just a few short months she'd be releasing a new album. I don't want to say i was disapointed, because i wasn't. I guess i was just expecting the same style of music.

But anyway, the point of this post was to just express i thought it would have been good if she had a few songs similar to her old pop style on her album in addition to what she did. i know she didn't think she was given enough artistic freedom, and that she was essentially a puppet, but maybe a mix with both styles could fix that feeling while still keeping her old fans hooked with the same good songs they were used to (as well as some great new good ones in a differant style of music)

Lastly, i just wanted to quickly make a comparison. Brittney Spears is currently 25 years of age, while Alizee is 23. You notice that American celebreties are freaking retarded, while europian stars are still shining. just another reason why i hate America, thought i'd add it to my first post so you guys get an idea about where i am coming from here. Alizee is truly an amazing singer/artist/person, and should be treated as such.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 AM

Matt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy298 View Post
You know, i don't think the new album is bad, but in my opinion her two previous albums were better. its just a matter of opinion, but i think if she was to sort of mix and match her styles together on her next (if there will be one) album. Such as one or two songs made with her former producers, as well as this new style shes taken up. That way she gets to make music that she finds more "her" that people will listen to because its on an album with a song as popular as moi... Lolita.

Don't get me wrong, im not saying that i don't like the new album, because its great. I'm just saying that (particularly her 2nd album) was much better than what she's recently put out.

I recently found out about Alizee while i was just minding my own buisness on youtube (about 2-3 months ago) then was delighted and pleased when i found out in just a few short months she'd be releasing a new album. I don't want to say i was disapointed, because i wasn't. I guess i was just expecting the same style of music.

But anyway, the point of this post was to just express i thought it would have been good if she had a few songs similar to her old pop style on her album in addition to what she did. i know she didn't think she was given enough artistic freedom, and that she was essentially a puppet, but maybe a mix with both styles could fix that feeling while still keeping her old fans hooked with the same good songs they were used to (as well as some great new good ones in a differant style of music)

Lastly, i just wanted to quickly make a comparison. Brittney Spears is currently 25 years of age, while Alizee is 23. You notice that American celebreties are freaking retarded, while europian stars are still shining. just another reason why i hate America, thought i'd add it to my first post so you guys get an idea about where i am coming from here. Alizee is truly an amazing singer/artist/person, and should be treated as such.
tottally agree!