Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Old Geezer & Music Critic

AmericanFan is on a distinguished road
Default I Could Be Shot For This But...

I doubt this will go over well here but it is the way I see... or hear it. I'm curious as to what others think.
After listening to the samples of each song on the new album, I can't say I'm very impressed. Oh they aren't bad, but they didn't meet my expectations of what Alizee is capable of.
Her voice is one of the greatest of all time. It should not be degraded with "techno-crap".
The reason this style is somewhat popular now is that artists who can't sing use it to mask their inferior voices. Britney is a prime example of someone who got a free ride on looks and masking a lousy voice.
I know she is capable of much better and hope she refines her new style to match her talent.
Don't shoot the messenger!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:03 AM
485 Internet points!

Solaris is on a distinguished road

I like it Just makes me melt the new CD does.

[9:59] [Solaris] here comes marik!
[Alizée Bar and Grill]: marik has entered at 9:59
[9:59] [Bill Seals] OH shite
[9:59] [Solaris] I TOLD YOU
[9:59] [Chommpers] mind powers
Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFan View Post
After listening to the samples of each song on the new album
Just samples?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:05 AM
485 Internet points!

Solaris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
Just samples?
Snatcher is right! listen to it on myspace!

[9:59] [Solaris] here comes marik!
[Alizée Bar and Grill]: marik has entered at 9:59
[9:59] [Bill Seals] OH shite
[9:59] [Solaris] I TOLD YOU
[9:59] [Chommpers] mind powers
Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 AM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

While the background music might be very techno-y, if you ask me her voice is most certainly not overly-tampered with.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

If you're only basing your opinions on those 30 seconds samples, by all means, go listen to the real stuff. The samples are not the same as the final versions, and even at a single listen, the improved quality, clarity, and voice in the full versions is immediatley obvious.

Also, be careful about making sweeping statements, such as the idea that the electronic style is "only popular" because no-talent artists use it in the mass market. Look instead to the influence of "French Touch," a musical style so prevalent in current French house music, among very talented artists indeed, that the French embassy even dedicates a couple pages of its website to talking about it and its electronic sounds. She uses it because she likes it - it's what she listen to.

I've no interest in shooting you for having an opinion. It just doesn't sound like the opinion is based off a complete knowledge of the work, yet.

Last edited by Cooney; 11-29-2007 at 12:21 AM..
Old 11-29-2007, 12:36 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Yes, they're at myspace.com/alizeeofficiel. After a couple of days, my opinions have swung back and forth. The samples did not do the full songs justice by any stretch. Several of the full songs that I thought I would really like (e.g. Jamais Plus) wore thin quickly. Several of the songs that I didn't really like at first (e.g. Psychédélices, Decollage) grew on me. Overall, I'm not quite as drawn in, not the way the first two albums drew me in, but I believe that it's that the electro-tinged pop-rock genre just doesn't do it for me the way the stuff closer to synth-pop (or maybe uplifting vocal trance) does.
But I agree with Cooney, basically. It's pretty clear based on her stewardship of the album that she sounds that way because she wants to sound that way.

Cooney, do you have a link to the relevant article on the French embassy?
The relevant wikipedia article lists Daft Punk as one of the pioneers of the French Touch genre, but gives the impression that the people who used to make it have moved on to other genres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_house
Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Old Geezer & Music Critic

AmericanFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
If you're only basing your opinions on those 30 seconds samples, by all means, go listen to the real stuff. The samples are not the same as the final versions, and even at a single listen, the improved quality, clarity, and voice in the full versions is immediatley obvious.

Also, be careful about making sweeping statements, such as the idea that the electronic style is "only popular" because no-talent artists use it in the mass market. Look instead to the influence of "French Touch," a musical style so prevalent in current French house music, among very talented artists indeed, that the French embassy even dedicates a couple pages of its website to talking about it and its electronic sounds. She uses it because she likes it - it's what she listen to.

I've no interest in shooting you for having an opinion. It just doesn't sound like the opinion is based off a complete knowledge of the work, yet.
You made sense. It may be premature to judge several years of work on low quality samples. Since I plan on buying the CD I'll have plenty of opportunity to get the full effect. I'll keep my fingers crossed with hope that I'm wrong.
Rest assured that if I find that I am wrong, I'll stand up and admit it.
My comment about "electronic style" was based on some American artists (that don't impress me much). I am not familiar enough with other French artists to express opinions of their work.
Alizee has a great deal of experience behind her and loads of talent. She selected those who work with her now so my expectations were rather high.
How she looks is a bit off topic but I feel the need to comment on that too. I thought she looked good before but now she looks even better!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 AM
Est. 11-10-2007

DirtyACE is on a distinguished road

Go listen to the full versions and if you still don't like it then it's off to the gallows with you

Naah j/k. Give it some time, let it absorb a bit, you may very well change your mind on some of the songs. And maybe comparing her to certain American artists is not the best idea. She has so much more to offer than any of them can ever dream off. Perhaps we will hear something a bit different in the 4th album (please let there be one).

PS - fsquared, congratulations on 1000 posts! Just noticed it.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Mon Truck Driver

JCC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFan View Post
I doubt this will go over well here but it is the way I see... or hear it. I'm curious as to what others think.
After listening to the samples of each song on the new album, I can't say I'm very impressed. Oh they aren't bad, but they didn't meet my expectations of what Alizee is capable of.
Her voice is one of the greatest of all time. It should not be degraded with "techno-crap".
The reason this style is somewhat popular now is that artists who can't sing use it to mask their inferior voices. Britney is a prime example of someone who got a free ride on looks and masking a lousy voice.
I know she is capable of much better and hope she refines her new style to match her talent.
Don't shoot the messenger!
Can't really judge a CD by listenin to just 3:60 worth of music samples..listen again
Alizee's MYSPACE