Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 02:29 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road
Default Alizee's physical coordination: a major part of her x-factor

Alizee's physical coordination is remarkable.

You can see it in the way Alizee walks. Here she is walking across the stage at the end of Ella Ella L'a:

https://youtu.be/8jlYB5ielJ8?t=208

(To see how graceful and well-coordinated she is, I recommend watching it at 1/2 speed.)

You can see how gracefully she puts one foot in front of the other. Alizee's head doesn't bob as she walks-- its like she's on rails. Also notice the steps at the edge of stage--- she looks down at them prior to reaching the steps-- but when she is going down the steps she is looking straight ahead, not looking down at her feet. Also, just prior to going down the steps she turns her head and looks to the left for a few seconds and then looks straight ahead again--- without interrupting her walking. I can't imagine a woman walking more gracefully than this.

I think Alizee's physical coordination is a significant part of her x-factor, and its not just the dancing, its evident in everything she does-- walking, gesturing, etc. I think its evident in Scruffy's autograph video and its evident in that video of her BBQ'ing in her backyard. There is a graceful precision to all of Alizee's physical actions--- it gives her a "presence", for lack of a better term.

This "presence" thing is elusive--- it took me awhile to figure out what it is. I was thinking at first that it was some kind of personality trait--- but that's not it. Although Alizee's personality is delightful and very feminine, it is her motor reflexes-- rather than her personality-- which give Alizee her "presence". Once again, a good example of "presence" is the way she walks across the stage at the end of Ella Ella L'a--- what we are seeing is motor reflexes, not personality.

(Well, that's the "theory". Let me know what you think.)

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 02-18-2019 at 03:24 AM..
Old 02-18-2019, 03:36 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post

You can see it in the way Alizee walks. Here she is walking across the stage at the end of Ella Ella L'a:

https://youtu.be/8jlYB5ielJ8?t=208

(To see how graceful and well-coordinated she is, I recommend watching it at 1/2 speed.)

You can see how gracefully she puts one foot in front of the other. Alizee's head doesn't bob as walks-- its like she's on rails. Also notice the steps at the edge of stage--- she looks down at them prior to reaching the steps-- but when she is going down the steps she is looking straight ahead, not looking down. Also, just prior to going down the steps she turns her head and looks to the left for a few seconds and then looks straight ahead again--- without interrupting her walking. I can't imagine a woman walking more gracefully than this.

I think Alizee's physical coordination is a significant part of her x-factor, and its not just the dancing, its evident in everything she does-- walking, gesturing, etc. I think its evident in Scruffy's autograph video and its evident in that video of her BBQ'ing in her backyard. There is a graceful precision to all of Alizee's physical actions--- it gives her a "presence", for lack of a better term.

This "presence" thing is elusive--- it took me awhile to figure out what it is. The natural tendency is to assume that it must be some kind of personality trait--- but that's not it. Although Alizee's personality is delightful and very feminine, it is her motor reflexes rather than her personality which give her "presence". Once again, a good example of "presence" is the way she walks across the stage at the end of Ella Ella L'a--- what you are seeing is motor reflexes, not personality.

(Well, that's the "theory". Let me know what you think.)
" its like she's on rails."...I thought it was funny you should mention that. When I went to the autograph session in Ajaccio and everyone was waiting in the small square for her to show up, she suddenly appeared moving from left to right. I couldn't see the lower part of her body, but it looked like you said, that she was moving on rails. At the time, it seemed surreal.

You look at this video where's she's passing the time by bouncing the ball off the wall during the filming of J'en ai marre. She looks well coordinated. Someone not well coordinated would have used 2 hands, but she used one. You add to that she was into kick boxing. I'll bet she was into other sports too and I kind of wonder if she might have been a tomboy?

So maybe it's her sports type of coordination, combined with the grace of her dancing that made her dancing when she became a star so special and unique?

I look at this moment here and wonder if this guy's life was in great peril? Alizée was the star, trying to relieve long moments of boredom and somehow he got the ball and started playing with it. Someone needed to have a long talk with this guy.

https://youtu.be/UfaQJsQXG-0?t=20

peril.jpg

peril 2.jpg
Old 02-18-2019, 04:11 AM
Miam Miam!

eru777 is on a distinguished road

Hahah, she looks so cute on the second picture. A bit like Arale.
Looking at all the comments from 8 years ago, feels like it was a century ago. I wonder where all these people went, it's kinda sad.

Last edited by eru777; 02-18-2019 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
" its like she's on rails."...I thought it was funny you should mention that. When I went to the autograph session in Ajaccio and everyone was waiting in the small square for her to show up, she suddenly appeared moving from left to right. I couldn't see the lower part of her body, but it looked like you said, that she was moving on rails. At the time, it seemed surreal.
Wow, that's a cool story! Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about! I wouldn't say that Alizee's level of physical coordination is totally rare, but its somewhat unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
So maybe it's her sports type of coordination, combined with the grace of her dancing that made her dancing when she became a star so special and unique?
Yes! I've concluded that Alizee's "je ne sais quoi" is simply a high degree of physical coordination.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:52 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post

You can see how gracefully she puts one foot in front of the other. Alizee's head doesn't bob as she walks-- its like she's on rails. Also notice the steps at the edge of stage--- she looks down at them prior to reaching the steps-- but when she is going down the steps she is looking straight ahead, not looking down at her feet. Also, just prior to going down the steps she turns her head and looks to the left for a few seconds and then looks straight ahead again--- without interrupting her walking. I can't imagine a woman walking more gracefully than this.
This is very observant of you and your theory holds some water.

In the Ella Elle L'a video, right at 3:29, Alizee has a slight down gaze and seems to be judging the stair 3-4 feet beforehand, then she lifts up and looks to the left and does not have to look down again while stepping down. That is confidence.

After reading viewing it, I had to go to La Isla Bonita, where Alizee makes her entrance. Everybody has watched it (most of us over and over and over again). Here she is bumping her hips out as she walks out singing, down two stairs, and finally to the mic stand.

Granted, she had to look down twice to navigate those stairs, but it looks more like a natural blinking of the eyelids. If you look at the top of her head, it is at a very steady height, even though she is glancing around along with moving forward. Very graceful.

Best effect is with sound off.

https://youtu.be/xq-aTe77bkA?t=20

I wonder if she had practiced walking around with a book on her head to help her with posture and graceful walking?
Old 02-19-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
In the Ella Elle L'a video, right at 3:29, Alizee has a slight down gaze and seems to be judging the stair 3-4 feet beforehand, then she lifts up and looks to the left and does not have to look down again while stepping down. That is confidence.
She is able to see the steps in her mind, I believe. Its some kind of visualization ability.

Quote:
After reading viewing it, I had to go to La Isla Bonita, where Alizee makes her entrance. Everybody has watched it (most of us over and over and over again). Here she is bumping her hips out as she walks out singing, down two stairs, and finally to the mic stand.

Granted, she had to look down twice to navigate those stairs, but it looks more like a natural blinking of the eyelids. If you look at the top of her head, it is at a very steady height, even though she is glancing around along with moving forward. Very graceful.
What she's doing in Isla Bonita is very graceful, but I'm not sure what to make of it beyond that. What she does in Ella Elle L'a is amazing.

Quote:
I wonder if she had practiced walking around with a book on her head to help her with posture and graceful walking?
She might have done some practice--- but its largely an inborn ability, I believe. I don't think a girl could simply learn to walk the way Alizee does.

And the way she's able to "see" the steps in front of her without actually looking at them--- I don't think something like that can be learned.

I would suspect that Alizee's physical coordination and her visualization ability are interconnected, like two sides of the same coin.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:18 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Oh dear, I "love you guys to bits", have infinite respect for you, but maaaaaan, sometimes you waaayyy "overthink" things.

What has Alizée wanted to be, and indeed has been, from a very early age??

A "dancer"...

That kind of thing really does NOT just "happen".

It requires "intense" and "prolonged" "practice" and "repetition".

How do I know, well I dated a hugely successful dancer for about 2 years, and this idea was her "mantra".

And if you look at the things that I was involved with throughout my career, similar concepts applied.

Call it "Advanced Tactical Movement", in my case.

Imagine "practicing" and "rehearsing" dancing, and dance steps for around of maybe at least 4 or 5 hours a day, maybe as much as eight or 9 hours, maybe every day, or every other day.

You practice your steps in "slow motion", "normal speed", and if necessary in "double time".

They become "second nature" to you. You know instinctively how far a certain "dance step" is going to take you, you know "how many" of a certain step are going to take "you how" far, and if you need to "ad lib" and vary your "step" to "fit" a certain distance.

When you go to a new "venue" you just don't get out there and perform, you have to "rehearse" and "plan" intensively, both before, and after, you get there.

That stage is "mapped out", and trust me, she has it "down pat" where she has to be, and when she has to be there. Distances are "known", "steps" and "moves" required are "known quantities"

Grace, becomes "second nature.

Being a good "dancer" is kind of like being a "Swan", for, "above" the "surface", everything is "beautiful", "breathtaking" and "serene", but "under the surface", well, its pretty damn "frenetic" down there, a lot of things happening at the same time, and none of them by accident.

Her "motor reflexes" are excellent, her "spacial awareness" is excellent, as is her "innate" ability to think and act "on the fly".

Add the things above to "training" and "rehearsal" and you have got the absolutely "spellbinding" "artiste" that is Alizée.

Wonders like that DO NOT just happen by native "skills" and/or "hardwired" ability.

Her "X-Factor"...

You may, or may not, "understand" this one...

"Innate Spirituality"...

She's actually a very "spiritual" young lady...

If you have the "eyes to see it", then she is a "wonderful", "complex", "rather compelling", "healing light" in the "darkness", and you "understand"...

If you don't have the "eyes to see it", then she is just "hella" compelling for some reason, and you are probably thinking "What you talkin' 'bout Willis"...

But it is there, and does exist...

A very "complex", very "special", pretty damn wonderful person, is Alizée...

Last edited by RedRafe; 02-21-2019 at 02:29 AM..
Old 02-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRafe View Post
Oh dear, I "love you guys to bits", have infinite respect for you, but maaaaaan, sometimes you waaayyy "overthink" things.
My job title includes the word "Analyst". I get paid to overthink. It spills into my personal time as well, which can work against me. However, my favorite subject to "overthink" is Alizee.

Quote:
What has Alizée wanted to be, and indeed has been, from a very early age??

A "dancer"...

That kind of thing really does NOT just "happen".

It requires "intense" and "prolonged" "practice" and "repetition".
The whole x-factor discussion has been all over the place - what makes this girl so compelling? I think she might have multiple x-factors, and different ones might draw in different people.

Alizee's early dancing while performing had her feet kicking out like she did in live versions of Moi Lolita but also saw her doing it in some other songs. When she was 17, she reached a different level. Alizee performed Gourmandises on Graines de Star a few months after her 17th birthday. She has always looked confident on stage, but here she OD's on confidence. Plus, it contains many of her signature face scrunches, and that head and eye move at 1:36 is simply amazing. I only remember her doing it one other time in a video, and that was when she was performing a song off her album "5".

There are about three or four versions of this video and all are not good quality, but AIFC put out a version several years ago that seems less fuzzy than the others.

Her personality while performing... is it even possible to practice this?

Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My job title includes the word "Analyst". I get paid to overthink. It spills into my personal time as well, which can work against me. However, my favorite subject to "overthink" is Alizee.

Oh dear...

Is it possible to practice the personality thing?

Well, you kind of know my background...

From the perspective of my "disciplines", yeps, it is, unfortunately, but "conditionally".

The "Alizée" "personna/role" was a "concept" that was "mastercrafted" by a pair of "consummate experts" in their field, to fulfill a specific "function", and "address" a specific "niche" in the "Pop world".

To start off with, she was probably totally "prompted" and "coached", in "all" and "every" aspect of this "role", but then after quite a while, she made the whole "thing" more 'hers", and then we see more of something approaching the "real" Alizée.

So, initially, this was a wonderfully 'conceived", wonderfully "packaged", wonderfully "executed", "concept" product, "animated" and given "life" by a French teenager called Alizée.

Only later, when she was "established" was she allowed to develop it to where it was actually anything nearing her own personality.

Then we get to see the real Alizée...

I know it sounds a bit "weird" and "draconian", but that is "showbiz" for you.

Nothing about it is "real"...

Edit:

The "manufactured role" thing can be actually quite "scary"...

I had a colleague, who was a very "specialized" psychologist, and, after "profiling" you, she could be "anyone" female, that she "had" to be.

Now, I will admit, she WAS a "Spook"...

After that profile, this "girl" knew "exactly", "exquisitely", "where you lived", and you were left "utterly defenseless", for she knew EXACTLY what you wanted, needed and required.

To a "T".

We were very good "friends", and "dated" for a while, and we had this "game" going...

It was called "Seduce me", and "maaaannn, that were fun", it really was.

It was a case of "grab a Beer and some Chips", and wait and see what was going to "happen next".

Now, it never worked on me, for I was looking for it, (yeah, right, we'll say that), but she could be any one of say a hundred different personas, every one of them "appealing" in some aspect, some of them downright damn "Kryptonite", that would leave you "in a sweat" and with a "very dry mouth".

She was a consummate artiste, "of the first water".

The best.

A great friend, and a "stunningly good" tutor.

Hard to date someone when you don't really know who the hell they really are, or are not...

That sort of knocked the "shiny" off of the whole thing, and was effectively the "kiss of death" for that relationship.

Last edited by RedRafe; 02-19-2019 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 02-20-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Her "X-Factor"...

You may, or may not, "understand" this one...

"Innate Spirituality"...

She's actually a very "spiritual" young lady...

If you have the "eyes to see it", then she is a "wonderful", "complex", "rather compelling", "healing light" in the "darkness", and you "understand"...

If you don't have the "eyes to see it", then she is just "hella" compelling for some reason, and you are probably thinking "What you talkin' 'bout Willis"...
I don't think that Alizee is necessarily more "spiritual" than other women. Alizee is indeed very feminine--- but then so are alot of women. I don't think its a matter of Alizee being more feminine, but rather Alizee having some kind of enhanced ability to "project" femininity.

Edit:

Quote:
How difficult it would be for an actor to study Alizee's videos and "mimic" Alizee's body language and facial expressions?

Would it be fairly simple, as in the case of many celebrities? Or would it prove to be extraordinarily difficult?

Its an interesting question.

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 02-20-2019 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts