Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

I have never liked canned synthesized music and especially synthesized voices. Although it seems to work in this instance. As others have said I would have liked it better if they would have left her voice natural. If they add pure guitar riffs, acoustic drums in most of the other remaining songs even with the soulless electronica sounds I may just like it. I hope that I like it and it is wildly successful. I would be happy if I hate it and it is wildlly successful. Her success is the most important however Alizee defines it. I just want her to be able to continue creating music for ever. By the way if it is all electronica and they leave her pure voice alone I am sure I will grow to like it regardless.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 AM

Van is on a distinguished road

I like it. Alizée's gone from one style I loved into another one I love.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:04 AM
Lili Loyal

paintballpdh19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Wood View Post
LMAO! Ppl saying they either don't like the song or are on the fence. These are similar comments to when Psychédélices & initial teasers first came out. And now those nay-sayers can't get enough of Psychédélices. The artist can't go pleasing everyone -- damn if you do, damn if you don't. Hold onto your judgments until you hear the entire album.

IMO, Gourmandises & MCE belong to the Mylene Era (her & Laurent's master piece & Lili the voice fronting their work -- yes, she gave her input but we all know who pieced those ideas into what we all love today). Psychédélices is Lili trying to spread her wings and find her sound (I say this because my initial impression was that it was so scattered & hitting various genres). UEDS is what I believe to be Lili narrowing her focus down a bit to form a consistent sounding album but only until we hear the whole album will we know for sure. Stay tune folks... next up, Les Collines (Never Leave You)!
exactly... its different than what everyone is used to.. a change.. so everyone says they dont like it because it is different... give it awhile... my first reaction was that i hated it but i listened to it a couple more times and it grew on me very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
OK, now I've heard the whole song, and I have several thoughts.

First, I'm thinking this song has meaning on at least two levels. Here are the lyrics, as best I can make out:

Dream always and always
I don’t know where I’m going, looking for the limelight
Bright
I can’t recall where I’ve been in this long, long flight
Light
I always and always
I don’t know if I should learn the ways of ecstasy
We
Stairs – Lights – Music -- Sweat
Scares – Fright – Panic -- Threat

The straightforward interpretation is that it's about Edie Sedgwick, and the difficulties, confusion, and fear involved in being famous, the confusion about identity and the insecurity that eventually led to her death.

On another level, I think this song is saying something about Alizée herself. Superficially, Alizée is very different from Sedgwick -- no drugs or booze, no self-destructive behavior. So it's not quite the same thing being said about Alizée as about Sedgwick. Her Grace simply isn't messed up in the same ways. But I think that she does confront identity questions -- who am I, where am I going -- and a tension between her public and private lives, the difficulty of finding a balance between them. I love that poetic device of the rhyming words at the end. The first four seem to be presenting the picture of glamour, while the second four seem to be going inside, to what she feels.

There is I think a particular way in which her public life is a threat to her inner peace, yet she is pulled to both.

I'm wondering if all of the songs, in addition to telling the story of Sedgwick, will express Alizée's being in the same way. It seems clear to me that this one does.

About the song being in English, it could be that there is no meaning to that other than Alizée wanting to sing songs in multiple languages, knowing that she has fans all over the world. Or it could be as Jung said, Edie Sedgwick was an American, so at least some songs in English makes sense. If there's another meaning, it's probably a personal one that the general public isn't meant to get.

I like this song a lot. I like the music of it, and the poetry of the lyrics, especially impressive since I think none of the songwriters is a native English speaker. The only thing I had to get used to, and this isn't really a criticism, is the distortion of Alizée's voice. I think that's right for this song and works, but I hope that on some of the other cuts we will hear her voice without so much distortion in all its loveliness.
wow... pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one

Last edited by paintballpdh19; 02-13-2010 at 01:22 AM..
Old 02-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road
Talking hahaha

Remember guys, Mes Courants Electriques was back in 2003. Lilly does not want to make a Mes Courants Electriques 2 anytime soon, and thats why she is coming out with UEDS. She has to change her style in order for people to keep listening to her.And her giving us a wide variety of genres and styles can wrap up a diverse group of people that like certain styles into her works and therefore get more fans.She has to change and thats what she is doing. And I really like listening to limelight. O and try listening to it with headphones on, preferably noise cancelling ones so you can reach Lil-vana, you will then change your mind about not liking it haha. And if you like it already then listen on people!!!
Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Lili Loyal

paintballpdh19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroniu31 View Post
Remember guys, Mes Courants Electriques was back in 2003. Lilly does not want to make a Mes Courants Electriques 2 anytime soon, and thats why she is coming out with UEDS. She has to change her style in order for people to keep listening to her.And her giving us a wide variety of genres and styles can wrap up a diverse group of people that like certain styles into her works and therefore get more fans.She has to change and thats what she is doing. And I really like listening to limelight. O and try listening to it with headphones on, preferably noise cancelling ones so you can reach Lil-vana, you will then change your mind about not liking it haha. And if you like it already then listen on people!!!
thank you.. someone who also sees the up side of the change... i felt like the only one who actually liked Limelight.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

I wonder how different the rest of the album will be? I mean, this is just a small small sample.

Just take the other albums for example, and how different the songs were within the same album.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

just an odd penny with no place here at all...

but I just finished watching Dead Ringers (already an obscure Alizée reference)

Listened to Limelight again... totally different mood
Old 02-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
just an odd penny with no place here at all...

but I just finished watching Dead Ringers (already an obscure Alizée reference)

Listened to Limelight again... totally different mood
Um.. how does Dead Ringers connect to Alizée?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
Um.. how does Dead Ringers connect to Alizée?
Dead Ringers

Jeremy Irons -- Jérémy

Lolita

Moi Lolita

Alizée

-------
I don't know, I haven't felt mentally right for a good week now
Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 AM

Was I the only one hoping to hear that adorable accented English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Dead Ringers

Jeremy Irons -- Jérémy

Lolita

Moi Lolita

Alizée

-------
I don't know, I haven't felt mentally right for a good week now
Are you familiar with Da Colbert Code? You should check it out.