Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 02-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

AlizéeSuperFanFIN is on a distinguished road
Talking Beijing 2022!

Well... What better entertainment than the Winter Olympics?!

Okay, maybe the Summer Olympics, but the Summer Olympics have, so to speak, "too many sports" to watch them all properly without you going crazy..... -

Okay, we have Alizée, oc, but she's almost "retired" right now...

In fact, the games started today with curling and there is an opening ceremony on Friday!

So! Let's see if I have time to comment on the Olympics here in the thread...

In the case of Finland, the recession in top sports is great, we are the most successful Olympic country in the world in relation to the population, but thanks to Paavo Nurmi and other flying Finns...

In these winter games, mainly only cross-country skiing superstar Iivo Niskanen and maybe ice hockey teams are "sure medalists"...

Alizée 💜
Old 02-03-2022, 09:31 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

At the beginning of the pandemic in 2020, sporting events were allowed to continue in limited fashion, but no spectators were allowed. In many venues, there were cardboard cutouts of people that were put into the stands by the hundreds or thousands in some cases, depending on the event. Cheering and applause and general "stadium noise" were played from sound tracks to give it a live feeling. Nevertheless it was surreal and there was something lost without the energy of a live audience.

That will be the case for these Olympics. No foreign spectators and just a select group of Chinese nationals will be allowed to attend. It will be that weirdness all over again in my opinion.

Over time I had slowly lost interest in the Olympics and I doubt I'll be paying much attention to it this year, but there was a time when I wouldn't miss them and watched as much as I could.

I enjoy the ice hockey, speed skating and ski jumping events the most for the winter Olympics.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:55 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I'm kind of a creature of habit with the Olympics. Just about every time it rolls around, at first I don't watch it, then I hear about some of the competitions, some of the different stories and start watching it at a late point, a point near the end and at which I regret not watching it more. As CleverCowboy mentioned, not having a crowd also takes away from the event.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:14 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Exclamation

I almost agree that the Games should have been postponed by a year like Tokyo 2020!

In addition, China's covid restrictions are still the strictest in the world.

The IOC should have demanded a little relief from the restrictions if the Games are being held right now!

Of course, I’ve been waiting for these games a lot, so in itself it’s good that they started now!

---

Ski jumping! Great and good memories! Unfortunately, only Finland has now collapsed in that sport!

After all, we were the best, led by Matti Nykänen, then the veterans of that time retired and on top of all that, all TV broadcasts went on pay-TV...

Juniors gradually disappeared from the sport or at least those masses decreased...

And now we're even fighting to get to the second round!

Ice Hockey: It is a pity for hockey that the covid caused the NHL to withdraw ...

In women, the level differences are still quite large...

In speed skating I have mainly been a supporter of the Dutchman Sven Kramer, Finland has not become a big name since Clas Thunberg.

The level of speed skating and the ruling countries have varied considerably over the years, as the USA, for example, has experienced - except that the Netherlands always dominates...

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
I enjoy the ice hockey, speed skating and ski jumping events the most for the winter Olympics.

Alizée 💜
Old 02-04-2022, 11:07 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

The Europeans have always done extremely well in the winter games no doubt about that, but the medal count is by country. Finland has only a fraction of the population of USA, Russia and China so the pool of athletes are smaller, so you really have to get behind those that you have. I think if the EU countries had their medals rolled up into a single total for the EU, they would take 1st in the medal count.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:14 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
The Europeans have always done extremely well in the winter games no doubt about that, but the medal count is by country. Finland has only a fraction of the population of USA, Russia and China so the pool of athletes are smaller, so you really have to get behind those that you have. I think if the EU countries had their medals rolled up into a single total for the EU, they would take 1st in the medal count.
Sometimes someone has suggested that the European Union should be one state (EU federalists), and that would certainly elevate “us” to number one, but I don’t support that, and that’s hardly happening.

When, for example, Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales even refuse to play football together, that is, under the British flag and so on.

National feeling most important!

The opening ceremony was spectacular. By the way, the United States has the most athletes in these games, 222.

Alizée 💜
Old 02-05-2022, 03:59 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Exclamation

^Correction: The number of athletes was 224

Today was the first official day, six golds have already been settled, and luckily the medals went to many different countries!

The variegated medal table is the best!!

Alizée 💜
Old 02-06-2022, 04:34 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Wink

Finland🇫🇮🥉 also opened a medal account when Iivo Niskanen won bronze in the 30km skiathlon. Alexander Bolshunov's superiority was miraculous.

This is how 18 different countries have already received medals, great!

This was not even the most important competition for Iivo, so the medal was actually a small surprise.

Mention should also be made of the Swedish long-distance speed skater Nils Van der Poel, who has suddenly come to dominate the sport (his grandfather is said to be Dutch, again a surprise ...)

Alizée 💜
Old 02-06-2022, 10:13 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
When, for example, Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales even refuse to play football together, that is, under the British flag and so on.

National feeling most important!
That's not always true though. In Formula 1 for example there are only "British" drivers, despite the fact that Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart (two of the greatest ever, from anywhere) were born in Scotland. That's five F1 championships between them arguably belonging to Scotland instead of all Britain. It's a weird thing. I'm not from that part of the world, so I have no stake in who competes for what flag.

It sort of reminds me of an old NatGeo article on the 2002 World Cup co-hosted by South Korea and Japan; it commented on how the Koreans had "gone from not allowing the Japanese to enter their borders for a game, to co-hosting the tournament with their old enemies" (paraphrasing). The article suggested that in another 50 years we may see Israel and Palestine co-host the Cup, all we need to do is give it time ✌🏽
Old 02-07-2022, 03:59 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Cool

:̂^True. and it came to mind that even British curling teams at the Winter Olympics are always called Scottish teams at other times...?

And it's true that the British have sometimes played football at the Summer Games...

But if someone went to FIFA to propose the unification of these countries, it could lead to a riot!

---

Pah, as I guessed, I don’t have much time to update on what’s going on in the games, as watching these games myself is already a “job” for me!

But... Ski jumping mixed team competition shocked the whole sports world today with its Olympic debut, when the jump suits of 4 big countries were disqualifed... Slovenia certainly won as a favorite, but then Russia won the silver and the bronze went to Canada!

Anyone with that trio on betting paper is rich after that, because that shouldn’t happen, RUS and CAN have never been able to medal in a ski jumping!

The most annoying thing is that Finland would have fought now without DQ, at least for bronze, but the positive covid test prevented our the other man from jumping - but why was the substitute not taken from the Nordic combined team? The leaders of the Finnish team have made a big mistake!

In fact, the retired ski jumping legend Janne Ahonen, who just won the Finnish Championship bronze without training, is a commentator and expert on the Finnish TV / YLE in Beijing... And someone suggested him and it would have been a great history, but he wouldn't even have been technically qualified for the race because participants must have a certain number of valid FIS points...

Alizée 💜

Tags
2022, beijing, ioc, olympics