Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Оле Оле

alizeefan is on a distinguished road
Default Alizée popularity - Less is more . .

With many of my favorite artists they aren't of the world wide well know or say to use the term household name in popularity . Many here seem to share the notion with Alizée wishing or wondering why everyone in the world does not share an enthusiasm in such thoughts to have her be one of the most famous singer in the world .

Over the year I've come to realize to use another saying sometimes less is more . While the opposite could be just as possible to say if there were hundreds of thousands of fans using this forum for instance or hundreds of millions of fans worldwide . Consider the close knit family which has been formed here , add 1000's of fans posting here and perhaps the closer relations between some of you would never happen as posts then would be lost in the mix . Take scruffys latest cd autograph project in this notion , say there were 1000's who wanted an autographed cd . Perhaps then it would have never happened the way it did . . . Sure it may have worked the same way for a few but perhaps then not for as many to be involved as it may have then become a more privately messaged project with less public discussion amongst fewer involved as well end . While yes you can think now but the same amount of cds would have been autographed . . Would they then have gone to the devoted fans or moreso auctioned off to highest bidders . Maybe even she would not do such
personal fan meetings because simply it would not be possible due to having more commitments elsewhere . Now for those who are thinking well if she was one of the most famous there would be more material - pictures - albums - interviews - videos . . . Would there ? You see there is only so much time any artist has to do work . . I'd also add there that quality over quantity , while indeed there maybe a few more of each and every possible works they maybe inferior to what we've become to know and love as is . .

Anyway everything happens for a reason and while Alizée had her worldwide success at one point to be this superstar she is and indeed more was . . I LOVE how it is and has been to have this relatively unknown artist all to ourselves without the mess and less personal closeness those overly popular stars with too many fans become . Now again while the opposite can be thought that if there were more fans , more information being shared and so on . . Perhaps not because with less comes higher devotion one must research any topic and then have well thought out ideas to share instead of just being lazy and rely on others . Adding the more personal relations formed within by such leading to again less is more .

Last edited by alizeefan; 05-15-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Scruffy mentioned that there is a certain kind of comradery in this forum but not like it was at the beginning. I totally agree with him. When Alizée had her first public signing with Psychédélices a bunch of the members were there. Some of them were interviewed on tv. One of the guys was Roman, who had a custom made tattoo of Lili on his back shoulder. When he showed it to her, Lili's jaw dropped. There's even a picture of it and you can see the gum in her mouth. lol She yelled, "PAPA!" so he could get a picture of it, It was so cool. Many relationships grew strong back then. Sometimes it became a regular soap opera. Even me and FRA bumped heads now and then.

I look at the members list today and see all the members who were practically a foundation to the forum. Many of them either left because of problems in the forum. One for sure got banned. Some gave notice that they decided to move on. And still others just faded away for whatever reason. I guess some felt her Lolita days were behind her, or the fact that she got married and had a beautiful girl, or they moved on to other music. We can only speculate what happened.

But I still see hope in this forum. I see more and more new members like lapinschous being active. I feel certain that, as long as there is Alizée, this forum will stay strong.

As for the popularity, she made the decision and we have to abide by it. I always felt she would never make it 'big' in the U.S. but it would've grown more. I was taken aback that she never played in Canada. Oh well, C'est la vie!

St. Louis, MO claims roots with France and so it celebrates Bastille Day every July 14th. There are some authentic french restaurants in town and I've been thinking of having one of them host a Bastille Day Party by showing Alizée En Concert. If I think I can get the ball rolling, I'll start a new thread with more information.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:43 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

People tastes change and the same goes with Alizée. When you're the hot act everyone wants to be counted as a fan and when you're going through tough times you learn quickly who your real fans are. Look how many members vanished after her last album UEDS. That tells you a lot about those members devotion to Alizée and how their musical tastes have changed. Same applies to those who took a walk after she married Jeremy and the birth of Annili, back in 2004 and 2005.

At least Alizée realizes at this point in her career that her fans today are her real fans and not what we call FAKE fans who are only around when you're the hot on top of your game musical act at the time.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:43 PM
For me... formidable

SpanishFan is on a distinguished road

Less is more? I don't know... It looks to me that she is not able to fill an arena and sing in front of a live audience, let alone going on tour.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishFan View Post
Less is more? I don't know... It looks to me that she is not able to fill an arena and sing in front of a live audience, let alone going on tour.
Good point SpanishFan. When Alizée was going to hold a concert at The Rex in Paris, me and three of my friends bought tickets and booked a hotel nearby for a three day stay. I was crushed to find out that the concert was canceled because of poor ticket sales and it wasn't that big of a theater.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizeefan View Post
I LOVE how it is and has been to have this relatively unknown artist all to ourselves without the mess and less personal closeness those overly popular stars with too many fans become.
Well yes but I agree with SpanishFan. While it may be good for us to have Alizée to ourselves, it's not as good for her. She needs a bit more than our current status of Less.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn

lapinschous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Good point SpanishFan. When Alizée was going to hold a concert at The Rex in Paris, me and three of my friends bought tickets and booked a hotel nearby for a three day stay. I was crushed to find out that the concert was canceled because of poor ticket sales and it wasn't that big of a theater.
When did that happen?

La Nostalgie des jours gourmands..
Old 05-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapinschous View Post
When did that happen?
I believe that was in the Psych era, she was supposed to have a concert in Paris
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Оле Оле

alizeefan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
This isn't surprising to me at all , take her peak of popularity even at her first concert tour shows were cancelled . While this perhaps wasn't the same due to lack of sales . .

from wiki -
"En Concert" tour was Alizée's first tour. It start at the famous Olympia music hall in Paris. The tour was generally well received although not all of the concerts sold out. The original plan had 43 dates but two of them got cancelled. Near the end of the tour, one extra concert date was added to bring the tour back to Paris, this time at the huge Le Zénith de Paris music hall. She also had one concert in both Switzerland and Belgium. With the two cancelled and one added date, the total number of concerts held was 42."

I'd only be guessing but I doubt she ever played to a venue with more than a few thousand seats - sold . Take Olympia for instance is 1722 seats and what is or was considered big for her as listed above Le Zénith de Paris music hall is 3000 seats . The only performance I can think looked to be a larger audience is Amsterdam which obviously wasn't her alone and multiple artists to draw the say 10-15k .

I think some may agree that the album sales and following tour perhaps wasn't due to her wishes or fans but perhaps moreso lack of promotion by the company .

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psych%C...3.A9lices_Tour

" Psychédélices Tour
Psychédélices World Tour

Tour by Alizée
Associated album Psychédélices
Start date 18 May 2008
End date 25 June 2008
Shows 1 in Europe
5 in North America
6 Total
Alizée tour chronology
En Concert
(2003–2004) Psychédélices World Tour
(2008)

On 2008, Alizée started a tour to promote her album, Psychédélices. The tour was highly focused in Mexico, that was because it's one of the countries where Alizée has experienced the most of her success. On 2008, she did one performance in Russia and five in Mexico. The performance in Paris, France on Le Grand Rex was cancelled, making this the only tour by Alizée that had no venues in France. She returned to Mexico in 2009 for one concert for San Marcos Fair, where she appeared as an international guest. The follow up concert was not part of the actual tour and had only partial song list performed. "

Concerts
Date City Country Venue
18 May 2008 Moscow Russia Opera Theatre
June 17, 2008 Mexico City Mexico Auditorio Nacional
June 18, 2008
June 20, 2008 Guadalajara Auditorio Telmex
June 21, 2008 Puebla Auditorio Siglo XXI
June 25, 2008 Monterrey Arena Monterrey

Cancelled Concerts

Date City Country Venue Extra Info
20 May 2008 Kiev Ukraine - Announced but never on sale.[56]
22 May 2008 Almaty Kazakhstan - Announced but never on sale.[57]
24 May 2008 Minsk Belarus - Announced but never on sale.[58]
28 May 2008 Tashkent Uzbekistan - Announced but never on sale.[59]
22 June 2008 Queretaro Mexico - Announced but never on sale.[60]
23 June 2008 Leon Mexico - Announced but never on sale.[61]
30 June - 23 July 2008 - Asia - Announced but never on sale.[62]
03 - 20 August 2008 - United States - Announced but never on sale.[63]
9 September 2008 Geneve Switzerland - Announced but never on sale.[64]
10 September 2008 Zurich Switzerland - Announced but never on sale.[65]
11 September 2008 Nantes France - Announced but never on sale.[66]
12 September 2008 Brussels Belgium Cirque Royal Announced but never on sale.[66]
13 September 2008 Liège Belgium Le Forum Announced but never on sale.[66]
28 March 2009 Paris France Le Grand Rex First re-scheduled two weeks before the concert (original date was 23 October 2008).[61]
Finally cancelled.[67]

As you see the single concert in France - her home country . . .
Was rescheduled and cancelled , again i'd chalk that up to poor promotion nothing really to do with less is more ^,.^~ After all given a choice she may have played to the less regardless of wanting more ? We may never know ?
Also was that show to be multiple artists as reading following links from wiki seems to suggest it wasn't her alone . If it was multiple artists - was it truly simply she alone couldn't sell enough seats in her home country or again lack of promotion by the company and venue as the later suggests ? That venue doesn't even have any wiki info making me think it's not the greatest promotion wise , not to say wiki is anything great to rely on . .

From http://www.alizee-forum.com/showthre...STRES-A-CANNES

If you scroll down to the post by Pit54 " For me who lives opposite the concert hall, they had already made advertising posters for all artists who spent the end of June (she was not above), it showed that it too was canceled .

I need to book for Paris (early December) for the concert and meet "

According to Pit64 the posters for the show " all artists " seems to suggest it featured more than just her performing .

I feel your disappointment in a cancelled show as i've been there . . . It sucks , I once slept out over night in the rain for tickets and it ended up being cancelled ! The following show ended up being a impromptu Led Zeppelin reunion making it highly disappointing . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishFan View Post
Seems to me she has been when wanted singing in front of live audiences . . Wasn't she just on some tv show ?
As for filling arena's even though it is suggested at wiki about her first tour mostly not selling out . . It's few and far between artists who can do such . More on that below . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
Well yes but I agree with SpanishFan. While it may be good for us to have Alizée to ourselves, it's not as good for her. She needs a bit more than our current status of Less.
But the question posed by Spanish and agreed upon by fall being her choice of less is more , we may never know this answer . Were all those shows cancelled in her mind good or bad ? I'd surely think a bit of a disappointment especially her home country but perhaps her time spent not doing those shows was better to her in hindsight ? After all the Mexico part of that tour seemed to be successful , wether or not some here agree on that doesn't matter . I'd guess once again if asked she wouldn't change a dang thang . . . Anyway a few fans dismay for a show cancelled is a bit off topic . Does anyone honestly think at that point or this point wether we want her to be on some world tour selling out every stadium she plays she would really want to do that again ? I'd say not , been there , done that , fun while it lasted , wouldn't change a thing , happy how it is now or wouldn't even be doing it .

Last edited by alizeefan; 05-15-2013 at 09:30 PM..
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

When I suddenly became a fan a year ago, I first became a fan of the person. Then the music, and now pretty much everything. In early July when ACDLA came out I was really frustrated that it wasn't available in the US for downloading. I thought "How can she be a big success again if they won't sell here?" But reading interviews and trying to pay attention got me to thinking that perhaps she doesn't want the big success that I wanted for her. Until she says how she feels I'm just guessing. She has been revealing more and more recently so maybe she'll discuss this sometime too. She certainly has been promoting the new album, getting out there and being seen and heard. I've said this in PMs before but I don't think in the forum yet, and I mean nothing against her at all, but to me it seems like she prefers to be a sort of 'hobbyist' artist. Making songs and albums, and performing is something she enjoys doing but she doesn't want to live it full time. I do think she really enjoys meeting the fans at the autograph sessions she has. If she were really big she may not be able to have the kind of sessions she has, where she will sign anything you hand her, even multiple items, and permit a photo with her. Maybe to her, less is more. It is what it is though. Just my thoughts....

Tags
alizee, lack of medicines, popularity, promotion