Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 05-01-2019, 10:46 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Well…

I have absolutely, utterly, no idea how I missed this post the other day.

But, somehow, I managed it.

Oops...

The “Happy birthday to the best sister” post on “jonsnow_lyonnet” IG page…

A really cool, (ok, maybe “decidedly cold looking”) “shot” of two of my favorite “little ones”…

What can I say, just a sweet, wonderful pic

Apart from that, nothing much “going on”, really…

Last edited by RedRafe; 05-13-2019 at 10:53 PM..
Old 05-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRafe View Post
The “Happy birthday to the best sister” post on “jonsnow_lyonnet” IG page…

http://www.instagram.com/p/Bwz9QYwFAtl/
I didn't realize until now that Jon Snow has over 26K followers. I have to admit he is very photogenic.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:44 AM
Neutral Good

Alrighty…

Lets see what is happening, with regard to Instagram posts, and such…

Not a lot really…

Jo Jacotey has been posting some cool shots of what I’m pretty sure is Ajaccio, and his local area...

If you want to “check them out”, go see ‘em now, hurry, hurry, for he always changes his stuff out pretty quickly…

As always, good stuff…

Annily, on her IG page posted a really pretty good “pic” of a street in Ajaccio, which really kind of aptly "showcases" the “building style” and “architecture” of the area...

Again, a good shot, this “little”, “little” lady may just have a “good eye” for a “subject”, and, some “skills”, don’t you know.

Never been to Ajaccio, and my only experience of Corsica was 3 days spent on a military base up by Calvi, where we ran a “combat diving” training course for the FFL, and then I spent most of all of my time there either “in” the water, or “on” it.

So, all I really saw was some pretty spectacular coastline, but that was it, and that was, ooooh, 30 years ago, maybe, so, I can’t really say I saw much of “anything”.

Who knows, maybe one day, you never know…

Now, speaking about Corsica, a pair of “Okie” friends of mine have just returned from a months vacation there, and they were so “disappointed”, for everything looked so “run down” and “old”, and “quaint”, and the food was just so “bland” and “tasteless”...

Well, I’m sorry, I laughed until I was nearly sick…

Y’see, they are from a little town, Collinsville, just maybe about 10 miles North-West of me, and there is a billboard on one of the walls of a building on the “main street” there, with the caption, “Historical Collinsville”.

Now, I love “historical stuff”, so, I just had to ask them, so where is it, where is “all the history at”???

I don’t know quite what I was expecting, but, maybe some ancient “Indian ruins”, or something…

Wellll, they turned around and pointed at a couple of buildings, and said there, look, these were built in the 40’s and 50’s…

I’m sorry, I couldn’t help it, I laughed, long and hard, and the incredulous expressions on their faces just made it worse…

Y’see, I’m used to being literally “surrounded” by “history”, for my “hometown/place of birth”, and the surrounding area is just covered in “Castles”, and “Roman ruins”, and “Iron age ruins” and “Iron-age standing stones”, and all sorts of “historical” stuff, so I kind of don’t regard stuff from the 1940’s and 1950’s as really being what I would regard as being “historical”, compared to what I am “used” to, if that makes any sense.

And there, “in a nutshell”, was my friends problem with Corsica…

They had no real concept of “time” and “history”, until I explained what they had seen and experienced…

But that’s another post, later, maybe…

Last edited by RedRafe; 05-13-2019 at 10:48 PM..
Old 05-12-2019, 05:04 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Alrighty…

Lets see what is happening, with regard to Instagram posts, and such…

Not a lot really…

Jo Jacotey has been posting some cool shots of what I’m pretty sure is Ajaccio, and his local area... ..............

.............Never been to Ajaccio, and my only experience of Corsica was 3 days spent on a military base up by Calvi, where we ran a “combat diving” training course for the FFL, and then I spent most of all of my time there either “in” the water, or “on” it. .................

From what Jo said, he just got back to Ajaccio. I wonder if he had been with Alizée and Gregoire, taking pictures of the students from their studio during the dance competition?

I hear off the coast of Calvi, there is a B17 that crash landed in the water. Did you happen to see it. The allies had an air base, I believe where the current Ajaccio airport is now. I heard the allies also practiced for the D day landings on the northern coast of Corsica.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post

I heard the allies also practiced for the D day landings on the northern coast of Corsica.
That is really interesting! It would be cool to see pictures of that area from that time. I wonder if there are any?
Old 05-12-2019, 01:55 PM

"........There were 17 airfields in Corsica that were part of USS Corsica.
Those built by the French before the war were:
Ajaccio Campu del Oru......."

https://www.forgottenairfields.com/a...sica-1226.html
Old 05-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Neutral Good

Quote:
"........There were 17 airfields in Corsica that were part of USS Corsica.
Those built by the French before the war were:
Ajaccio Campu del Oru......."

https://www.forgottenairfields.com/a...sica-1226.html
Scruffy, as always, thank you...

That map on that website is just “pure dead brilliant”....

Checking out old “historical military installations” and “stuff like that” is “my cup of tea”.

It just makes me regret the fact that I didn’t get to spend any real time there, even more...

So much to see, and no time to do it in…

<sigh.>

A group of friends, and myself, used to “visit” and “walk” old historical battlefields, and “stuff”, as a sort of “hobby”.

We’d get a detailed map of the area, a description of the battle, and “key” locations in it, and basically just follow the “flow” of the battle, as it happened, where it happened, visit the locations mentioned, analyze the tactics and visualize what happened where, and, when, etc.

Kind of brings history to life, and makes it far more interesting and relevant.

Jeez, talk about being “boring”, my idea of a “fun day” is visiting somewhere like the “Imperial War Museum” in London, or at RAF Duxford, or the “Tank Museum” at Bovington, or some old “broken down” Castle somewhere.

You know me, just kind of “strange”…

Quote:
I hear off the coast of Calvi, there is a B17 that crash landed in the water. Did you happen to see it. The allies had an air base, I believe where the current Ajaccio airport is now. I heard the allies also practiced for the D day landings on the northern coast of Corsica.
Nope. One of my great regrets about that trip was I never ever got to explore that one, at all, and, there are a lot more “undocumented” wrecks like that “littered about”, all over the place out there, that the locals know about, but just sort of “neglect” to tell anyone about.

In fact, I think in 2010 they officially documented finding the wreck of a P47 Thunderbolt just off the coast.

The B17 is about 150 or 160ft down, I believe, and for the “gear” we had “borrowed” at the time, this would have been “pushing it”. It would have been “doable”, but we would have had to have been very cautious, without our own, more “specialized” equipment, that we did not have with us

Nowadays, I believe that there is actually a company that regularly runs “charter dives” out to it, from Calvi harbour, and diving equipment has improved that much, that even comparatively “inexperienced” divers are pretty safe at these kind of depths...

Mind you, it has been about 15 years since I've done any diving whatsoever, sooo...

Well, who knows, maybe one day…
Old 05-13-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Jeez, talk about being “boring”, my idea of a “fun day” is visiting somewhere like the “Imperial War Museum” in London, or at RAF Duxford, or the “Tank Museum” at Bovington, or some old “broken down” Castle somewhere. ............................
The B17 is about 150 or 160ft down, ................:
I've been to those 3 museums, except the Imperial War Museum was going through renovations at the time, so I guess I'll have to revisit it.

I'm a WW1 and WW2 history buff myself. Another museum I've been to is the Saumur armour museum in France which a great collection. I've also been to places like Normandy of course, Dunkirk, Dieppe, Dresden, Verdun, the Somme, Eben-Emael, Lidice, the Wolf's lair, etc. Today I leave for Crete, another battleground in WW2.

I didn't realize the B17 was that deep. I've done some 'recreational' diving myself and that is definitely deeper than anything we did.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 PM
Neutral Good

Oookay…

Lets see “who” has been posting “what”…

Jo Jacotey has been posting some more utterly “class” stuff on his IG page, and the ones that personally “talk” to me are the “shots” below…

Talk about “art”… These are just “superb”, especially the first one…

"Enlightening", in many ways...

This gentleman really has talent, with a capital “T”…

If you want to see the rest of them, and they are all really cool, go checkout his IG page, quickly, for they are pretty likely to “vanish”, soon.

Also, Annily has posted another really good “shot” on her _annilychatelain IG page, taken “In Aiacciu” captioned “#ootd”.

A “sweet” shot of a sweet “little”, “little” lady, “showcasing” her “hometown” and some of her favorite new “gear”.

Utterly “cute” as always, and growing up “astonishingly” fast.”

Now, you remember that post I “dropped” earlier, about my friends “vacationing” in Corsica…

Quote:
Now, speaking about Corsica, a pair of “Okie” friends of mine have just returned from a months vacation there, and they were so “disappointed”, for everything looked so “run down” and “old”, and “quaint”, and the food was just so “bland” and “tasteless”...
Well, if you look at this “shot” above, my friends would probably “moan” about this really cute young lady wasting her time, “posing” in front of a “rotten”, “cracked” old wall covered in graffiti, just like a lot of the “old” stuff there…

And… They would be only partially right…

When I look at this shot I see several things, apart from Annily being “cute”..…

The “Engineer” in me sees a very VERY old wall, that probably has a lot of “history” attached to it, and tries to analyze its “construction”, and the “materials” used, and how he would “duplicate” that “construction” method that built it in the first place, if he had to “repair” it…

The “CMT” in me sees the “materials” that constitute the wall, and wonders where he could either “buy”, “source” or “quarry” and “duplicate” them from, “authentically”, if he had to repair it, and then wonders if he could “restore” the wall to its “original” condition, and “how”, and with “what”…

And, the “Surveyor” in me is checking out the “dimensions” and “level” of “it”, and probably the surrounding locale…

Overall, I see “history”, “age”, and “wear”, through “repeated” use, and “prolonged” and “extended” habitation, that someone that comes from an “new” nation, “comparatively” and “relatively” speaking, might not be able to fully “grasp”, so to speak.

Oh, and the “food was just so “bland” and “tasteless”” issue, that my friends had well, I’m going to be honest, to my “palate” food in the USA is hugely “oversweetened”, “oversalted”, and just generally waay tooo “overseasoned” for me, but, at the end of the day, it “boils down to” what you are used to, I dare say.

I "love them to bits", they are truly "great guys", and they can't help it if their tastebuds are just totally "banjaxed"...

Apart from the above, nothing much else happening, really…

Y’all be safe, take care, and just generally be “excellent” to each other, ‘k…

Last edited by RedRafe; 05-13-2019 at 10:56 PM..
Old 05-24-2019, 06:21 AM

imverynuts is on a distinguished road

I don't know how to post Instagram photos on here but Alizee just announced she's pregnant!!