Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre le français

Old 06-22-2021, 01:33 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
Oh, perhaps we are talking about different things here. I took the first comment that advised learning Corsican to mean the Corsican language, which is a separate language in itself. It is not mutually intelligible with French and is much closer to Italian (native Italian speakers would understand it). As for the version of French spoken in Corsica, I thought it is just an accent. Like if you think about differences between the English spoken by a Londoner or a Scot, the words are the same but pronounced with different accents. So if words are different in Corsican French that is news to me.
You are absolutely correct and my mistake and I should have known better. Corsu goes way back long before the French took Corsica as a territory. In fact, if I was visiting Corsica and implied to the native that their language was Corsican French, I probably would have to run for my life.

Just FYI - I remember reading an article on trip planning to Corsica as a foreigner some time ago. They did not recommend trying to communicate with them in Corsican... unless you are Corsican. French is the best choice, but Italian and Spanish are passable.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:46 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
You are absolutely correct and my mistake and I should have known better. Corsu goes way back long before the French took Corsica as a territory. In fact, if I was visiting Corsica and implied to the native that their language was Corsican French, I probably would have to run for my life.

Just FYI - I remember reading an article on trip planning to Corsica as a foreigner some time ago. They did not recommend trying to communicate with them in Corsican... unless you are Corsican. French is the best choice, but Italian and Spanish are passable.
The French have had a reputation of being kind of difficult I'd guess you'd call it with foreigners at places like restaurants which I've found true not only in France, but also Quebec, but on my last trip to Ajaccio, I had dinner at the Chez Paulo restaurant. I met Blanche again. She doesn't know that much English, but they had a young man working there named Max who spoke English very well and he said on Corsica, they are making an attempt to be very cordial with tourists and that is what I found there. I can't remember having a bad experience there (except the guy on the train). Which is important when a visitor tries to speak the language and their pronunciation isn't quite right, they have the patience to figure out what you are trying to say.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:14 AM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

AlizéeSuperFanFIN is on a distinguished road
Cool

Yeah.... Yes, especially in language learning, there often has to be interest and enthusiasm.

And it is always good if you start studying at a young age, because the older you are, the harder it can be to study...

I need to try different methods and maybe get even more reasons to study...

Alizée 💜
Old 06-29-2021, 12:02 AM

Alex Rien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It is not mutually intelligible with French and is much closer to Italian
The Tuscan dialect.

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that but yes, why not. Although I thought there would not be as many resources out there for the regional languages such as Corsican. And I'm not sure how widely it's spoken, often these minority languages are only spoken by the older generation.
Corsican is used at all levels of education in Corsica. In most cases it is taught as a subject, but a few schools use it as a medium of instruction, along side French. Corsican courses for adults are widely available throughout Corsica, as well as in some cities on the French mainland.

More and more books are published in Corsican annually. There are also some Corsican language magazines, often sponsored or produced by political parties or cultural associations, and an increasing number of theatre productions.

Last edited by Alex Rien; 06-29-2021 at 12:05 AM..
Old 06-29-2021, 04:44 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Smile

It is good to protect small languages!

As I researched this matter further, I was surprised that the Corsican language is so small.

Alizée thus belongs to a rather small language population, although she may also speak a lot of French today.

I need to explore more when I have time!

Alizée 💜
Old 07-01-2021, 04:06 PM

Elise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post

Glad we resolved the misunderstanding! I think we are over-complicating the language question. I assume that if you meet a Corsican, they would speak French as a native just as much as someone from any other region of France. There are other regional languages in France but everyone knows French, it’s the language of France. Many countries have minority languages but still the national language would be spoken by all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
Yeah.... Yes, especially in language learning, there often has to be interest and enthusiasm.

And it is always good if you start studying at a young age, because the older you are, the harder it can be to study...

I need to try different methods and maybe get even more reasons to study...
I like everything related to France (I’m a Francophile) so I have all the reasons to learn. I did start young and I know what you mean, it can be a challenge to make the time to practise every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rien View Post
The Tuscan dialect.

Corsican is used at all levels of education in Corsica. In most cases it is taught as a subject, but a few schools use it as a medium of instruction, along side French. Corsican courses for adults are widely available throughout Corsica, as well as in some cities on the French mainland.

More and more books are published in Corsican annually. There are also some Corsican language magazines, often sponsored or produced by political parties or cultural associations, and an increasing number of theatre productions.
This is really interesting, thank you for the information. Corsican is in a better shape than I assumed.

Quote:
As I researched this matter further, I was surprised that the Corsican language is so small.

Alizée thus belongs to a rather small language population, although she may also speak a lot of French today.
It's a small island! Again I would say, even if they have a regional language, the national language is French so they're still native speakers.

I could be wrong on all this, just my reading and guesswork. Alex Rien, have I got it right? How do you know about this, do you know people from Corsica or something? I’m interested in minority languages and I don’t know much about this case.

Last edited by Elise; 07-01-2021 at 04:30 PM..
Old 07-01-2021, 06:44 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Talking

Quote:

It's a small island! Again I would say, even if they have a regional language, the national language is French so they're still native speakers.

I could be wrong on all this, just my reading and guesswork. Alex Rien, have I got it right? How do you know about this, do you know people from Corsica or something? I’m interested in minority languages and I don’t know much about this case.
Yeah... It's a small area, and it doesn't seem to spread much elsewhere, even though one Napoleon tried once...

In other words, if Napoleon's "journey" had gone a little differently, the Corsican language could have been much better known, for he apparently respected the language considerably more than the French language.

Came to mind - it would be great if Alizée sang something in this language too!

Alizée 💜
Old 07-01-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah... It's a small area, and it doesn't seem to spread much elsewhere, even though one Napoleon tried once...

In other words, if Napoleon's "journey" had gone a little differently, the Corsican language could have been much better known, for he apparently respected the language considerably more than the French language.
Most of the corsican speakers live in Corsica, though there are some in Paris and Marseilles and also in Bolivia, Canada, Cuba, Italy, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, the USA and Venezuela.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:55 PM

Would you like more corsican songs from her?

Old 07-02-2021, 09:54 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rien View Post
Would you like more corsican songs from her?

Wow, gorgeous, (I Also mean music) definitely more of this music! That's an order!

Alizée 💜