Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Articles and Blog

Old 04-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road
Default My thoughts on the autograph session 29 March 2013

Skip down to the second paragraph for the actual event description…

It’s going to be hard for me to match the other members’ descriptions of the event. They’ve covered the logistics of it well, so I’ll skip that. For me, being there was really special. It’s just been 11 months since I discovered Alizée. The way I feel about myself has dramatically changed since then, and I attribute that to her, somehow. I can only guess how that happened, but I’ve stopped analyzing it. I see a really good person inside her, and to try to pay her back I try to support her career. Watching videos, En Concert, all the interviews and reading about old interviews and translations has created that image of her that have. I was having a bit of trouble fully believing that image because I know that what viewers see is only what you are shown, and sometimes that can be misleading. I suppose it’s been important to me to find out that she is ‘real.’ I got a slight confirmation of reality a few weeks ago when I got the Talents France Blue CD and posted a picture of it on Instagram. The next morning I was happily surprised to see that she ‘liked’ the posting. It was as if for just a moment, she had let me know she was real. I know, it sounds corny, but Scruffy and Jake can confirm that I am. I had been thinking about going to an autograph session since she announced the album on the ‘live’ Q&A video that came out last summer. At first we thought it would be in October, then it kept being delayed. I never wanted to go to Paris, or Europe, or anywhere. I was fortunate that right now I was able to take time off from work and afford the trip. I felt that if I missed this opportunity to ‘meet’ her that I would regret not going. So off I went. During my connecting flight from London to Paris, I kept thinking that I could not believe I was actually going to France. Scruffy met me at the train station and on the ride into town, I kept saying the same thing. Even though I was able to see many of the famous and significant sights of Paris, I was there for one reason. That came the next day at the FNAC Saint Lazare . So I wouldn’t be disappointed, I never thought we would get a private session with Alizée. I hoped we would so I would be able to get a lot of great pictures of her. But I knew I’d be happy just waiting in the regular line. Scruffy has already described the ups and down of the lead-up to the session. So it was off to the regular line for me.

We were in the room already when she made her entrance and we caught a brief glimpse of her entrance, but were too far back to see her posing for the cameras. It was really exciting to know she was in the same room we were in. They had the ropes set up like a back and forth queue moving side to side through the room, so the front row was a 15 minute show just 10 feet from her. From the back though, we were all holding our cameras up to try to see her up front. Finally I gave up and just waited until we got closer to try for some camera shots. There was so much excitement among the fans. It was amazing once we got to the front row. Just watching her interacting with each fan as if they were the only two people in the world. Everything I had thought about her seemed to be true. I’m amazed that she did it for 3.5 hours. We started discussing who would take each others photos when the time came. Loose plans were made. Closer and closer to the front of the line. It almost seemed like my turn came too quickly. I wasn’t really ready. I had written my name on a slip of paper. I remember saying I had come from the USA to see her, and she pronounced my made perfectly. She may have said something else but I don’t remember. I had written a short note in a card, and I had found a Tinkerbell bookmark a few weeks ago that I included in an envelope which I gave her (It appeared in the photo she posted! Yay!) Then I handed my camera to the manager guy and went around right beside her for the photo. I hadn’t set the camera right and the photo didn’t come out too good. So for a moment in time, I was in the same place as she was. So she’s about as real to me now as this keyboard that I’m typing on. I threw her a ‘merci,’ grabbed my camera from the guy, and just sort of drifted away out the exit. When I got back into the store, I was in a daze. No one else came out for several minutes. I guess I could have stayed with the group but they had been forgotten. (Sorry guys!) Then it was back to waiting to see about getting the 80 CDs autographed. We thought there was a chance that would happen after the line was gone, but it did not. I got the impression that they would all be signed though later this week.

Now, she’s real, and I feel like the impression I had of her was accurate enough. I spent some of the 8 hours on the plane yesterday thinking about it all. I realize that I still really know so little about her, but I’m as certain as I can be that she is a nice, thoughtful, and caring person. And that’s all I need to know. Her depth, her tattoos, her fashion choices, how she spends her free time… None of that matters to me. I just want to support her and her career by helping other fans learn about her and keeping her in people’s minds and hearts. She knows more about her industry and career and what she wants to make of it than any of us, and she does what she wants to do, no matter what we want. Not that there is anything wrong with us discussing how we feel about those things. We just have to realize that we aren’t going to influence her in what she does. It’s like she is driving the fan bus, and we can get on and off whenever we want. It goes where she takes it, take it or leave it.

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 10-10-2014 at 11:19 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Mélodie de vie, c'est l'odyssée!

Marka is on a distinguished road

I actually acknowledged this blog only now... sorry Ray

What you have written about her not really being real for you for more than 10 months, about her "fan bus", which one can leave anytime he/she wants, ... you are correct! I think that your fandom matured...

And as a story, this is a beautiful addition to the thread about your (you, Scruffy and Jake) stay in Paris. I love reading these stories!

By the owner, the dog is respected. (Corsican Proverb)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Fan Standing

Default A one month later followup

Not a day goes by that I don't think back to the March 29 autograph session when I met Alizée. I say met but it really was just the brief encounter that it would appear to be, just like all the ones we have seen on video over the last month. In my first description of the event I described that my life has changed for the better since I discovered her, and I feel like I owe her for that. She means quite a lot me in that respect. To be right there at the table with her, and then to be right beside her for the photo, I really was overwhelmed by it all at the time. I'm not able to come up with words to describe it. I was there watching the scene, and I suppose participating in it, but I was also running on 'autopilot' and just along for the ride. Seeing her in person brought it all together for me. I know that for every fan there is a unique case of fandom, and each fan has their own reasons and expectations. For me, it's converted my impression of her from a voice singing songs that I can't understand and someone on video from all the interviews and tv appearances and En Concert, and Enfoirés into an actual individual, just like all the other people I encounter everyday. (Though most of them bother me.) I have no interest in her other than supporting her career and wishing her the best, and helping others to know about her. Meeting her makes all that easier to do.

Something unexpected has occured however. For several months before the new album released, I had been making an effort to download and save as many photos of her that I could I find. Each day I'd spend some time locating and saving copies of everything new, as well as looking for older things that I hadn't saved yet. That has no longer seemed important to me. I still like to see what new pictures come out each day, and there have been plenty this last month, but I don't 'collect' them anymore. I don't really know why that is.

And now when I see the newest interviews and video, I see her and I remember meeting her, and much of the awe and mystery are gone. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I have a more realistic view of who she is and how she is merely another one of us dealing with life day to day, and trying to do what she wants to do.

And I wonder how she has been able to unknowingly do for me from the other side of the ocean something I've never been able to do for myself in many, many years of trying.

I doubt that I'll feel a need to go to another autograph session. I had one item from my "5" collectors box set personalized this time, and having convinced myself that she is 'real' I don't see what returning would accomplish, other than showing her that she has fans all over the world. But I won't rule it out either. Next, I'd like to see her performing live, hopefully singing her own songs, or at least maybe at Les Enfoirés.

I apologize for this being unorganized and poorly written. It takes quite a bit of effort for me to write about my thoughts and even more to actually share them. I've been told by some members that they are interested in hearing more about the autograph session so I'm giving it a shot.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
Something unexpected has occured however. For several months before the new album released, I had been making an effort to download and save as many photos of her that I could I find. Each day I'd spend some time locating and saving copies of everything new, as well as looking for older things that I hadn't saved yet. That has no longer seemed important to me. I still like to see what new pictures come out each day, and there have been plenty this last month, but I don't 'collect' them anymore. I don't really know why that is.
I'll just mention that I have actually never been in that phase... I am collecting her photos, videos only now, when I joined Digimazes DC++ Alizée network and thus got access to other Alizée collections, in hopes of having them in one place and stored, to keep them as a memory of her.

Quote:
And now when I see the newest interviews and video, I see her and I remember meeting her, and much of the awe and mystery are gone. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I have a more realistic view of who she is and how she is merely another one of us dealing with life day to day, and trying to do what she wants to do.

Quote:
And I wonder how she has been able to unknowingly do for me from the other side of the ocean something I've never been able to do for myself in many, many years of trying.
Can you please elaborate?

Quote:
I apologize for this being unorganized and poorly written. It takes quite a bit of effort for me to write about my thoughts and even more to actually share them. I've been told by some members that they are interested in hearing more about the autograph session so I'm giving it a shot.
I am interested into hearing more about development of your perception of her and your fandom, not just about the autograph session.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:41 AM
Last Fan Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matevz91 View Post
Can you please elaborate?

I am interested into hearing more about development of your perception of her and your fandom, not just about the autograph session.
I didn't want this to merge with my last post, so I left it out. Yesterday at work I was planning out the one month update in my head. It was brilliant and I forgot most of it by the time I actually wrote it up last night. Happens all the time. I took a break from work and checked my phone to see if there were any updates from the world of Alizée, and I had received a notification of your previous post. I thought that was quite a coincidence!

I know you have see this thread:

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7244

and it is there that I'm planning to post about my first year of being a fan sometime soon.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I didn't want this to merge with my last post, so I left it out. Yesterday at work I was planning out the one month update in my head. It was brilliant and I forgot most of it by the time I actually wrote it up last night. Happens all the time. I took a break from work and checked my phone to see if there were any updates from the world of Alizée, and I had received a notification of your previous post. I thought that was quite a coincidence!
That happens also to me and I believe also to many other people. Don't worry, you'll remember it later when you will be writting something bigger, and you'll be able to make it even more brilliant.

Quote:
I know you have see this thread:

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7244

and it is there that I'm planning to post about my first year of being a fan sometime soon.
Sure I've seen this thread! Though, what bothers me with such threads is that everything is intermixed, everybody is trying to focus instead of going in the direction that would describe what he wants to say the best. I prefer to read a stream of posts from one person, then a stream from another person, and so on... basically, I like reading blogs, or semi-blog threads, because if authors of posts change too often, I tend to get confused. I don't know, perhaps I like to perceive what you write on the more personal level, perhaps even more "real", although this reality is still far away from the reality you described above

Last edited by Marka; 05-01-2013 at 02:36 PM..
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'll be looking forward to that Ray! The first year is always magic
Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Last Fan Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
I'll be looking forward to that Ray! The first year is always magic
Oops! Never got that one-year fan recap written. 'Maybe' I'll get a two year write-up posted in about a month.

Anyway, I've been remembering this autograph session from a year ago quite a bit recently. It was really special to me to be able to have things work out so I could attend and a great experience. Giving me that minute or so of her time really meant a lot to me, and while it diminished some of the original 'magic' for me, it reinforced other parts and made some brand new magic.

I just re-read my report from a year ago, and there isn't anything to add or change.

Edit - Well, I want to thank Scruffy again for all he did for me there and for all he does for Alizée and her fans.

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 03-28-2014 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: I remembered who made it all a reality
Old 04-09-2014, 03:19 AM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

I'm amazed at how patient she is with her fans. For her to sit for 3.5 hours signing autographs has got to be grueling, especially after doing this sort of thing for 14 years. It's one of the reasons her fans are so faithful to her.

Edit:

Ray, thanks for the wonderful description of your visit with Alizee. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by Shepherd; 04-09-2014 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 PM
Оле Оле

alizeefan is on a distinguished road

RAY the amount which she inspired you , imagine being her and the inspiration is exponential - we are each one and she is one therefore she gets it a lot more than we do . It is refreshing to find artists who love all , show it and a genuine love of the music . She may indeed own the bus but definitely lets others drive and we all pitch in for gas then at times have say when the bus STOP , on , off , go . A star like her it is obvious she is influenced by those around her and as your story goes demonstrates that well , many others too which will be forever . While I don't go out of my way to promote her I sure do at times and probably more than any other artist . But enjoying how it is in the now and perhaps greedily I kinda like it without the too many fans , 100 times the amount of fans in line for autographs , at this forum , etc .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
I'm amazed at how patient she is with her fans. For her to sit for 3.5 hours signing autographs has got to be grueling, especially after doing this sort of thing for 14 years. It's one of the reasons her fans are so faithful to her.

Edit:

Ray, thanks for the wonderful description of your visit with Alizee. I really enjoyed it.
I agree on the thanks to Ray and it being one of the reasons fans are faithful .
I'd guess she only does a couple a year and that maybe being generous but add a few more per year in the early days , add to that the getting recognized and other autographs sent to her , on the street or at other shows , venues appearances and so on . That maybe only about 30-50 sessions lifetime and being paid for most of the long ones would take away the tediousness adding to the excitement . Anyway it reminded me of this video gives a good idea how it is for the stars to meet the fans .

Last edited by alizeefan; 04-20-2014 at 11:50 PM..