Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 08-13-2019, 04:49 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imverynuts View Post
She kind of ruined me

I've had a few girlfriends and things but I gotta be honest I think I'd be just as happy just watching Alizee videos for the rest of my life sometimes lol
That's so true: I asked myself the same thing... And I don't know what to think. Alizée just seems better than anything I could think of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
A. Have you read any of the English translations of the original Italian poetry? I would be so interested to know how much you feel is lost after the translation.
No, I haven't. But I'm really curious to read how italian is translated and how foreigners see it. As soon as I have time I'll take a look at it, so that I can let you know. But to be honest, Dante's Divina commedia is so old that sometimes you have to translate it even if you're Italian lol. If you know Italian, you can understand most of it (at least the "Inferno", which is easier to understand than the other 2 parts), but sometimes it seems written in another language.

Quote:

Several years ago I had a long discussion and correspondence with the college student daughter of a friend. We were discussing the different types of love there are. I wrote her a very detailed explanation of many types I believe exist, and yet I feel I. never really effectively analyzed the type of love you describe here, that you feel for Alizée. I think I included it in a broader definition—I feel as though I’d like to rewrite that.
Wow, that's a great work!,If you don't mind, I would like to read it when you finish to write it.
As I said, I'm a bit busy in these days, but as soon as I have time, I could recommend to you a few poems I studied at school. I'm not exactly the type of person who read things and poems about love, but the Italian literature is so full of it that, as a student, you just can't avoid this topic

Quote:

I think the difficulty here lies in the word “love.” What we have is, I believe, a semantic problem because the language (English, at least) lacks the vocabulary to describe precisely the various complicated feelings that we lump into one word: “love.”
Yes, in fact I think for Italians it is more difficult to describe "love" in English.
For example, we have 2 way to say "I love you" in Italian:
-ti voglio bene, which is usually used when you are referring to a relative, a friend and so on. If I remember correctly, you haven't an expression like it in English;
--ti amo, which literally means "I love you" and it is usually used when you're referring to your personal Alizée lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
So again I say I'm in love with the performer, but maybe I'm just fooling myself.
I'm really happy to hear that you could find a bit of serenity in a bad moment of your life thanks to Alizée. I think that you feel love towards her... Maybe the type of love you feel towards a very very important friend of yours. You could say her "Ti voglio bene" eh eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
To answer your question more directly, I would say that the answer is yes.

So Alizee shows up in your life and stirs up strong emotions that you are inexperienced with. They are valid and there is nothing wrong with them. You will figure it out eventually, so enjoy the ride.
Exactly. She makes me feel emotions that are completely new to me. I just have to understand if it is true that she'll be my only love. For now, absolutely yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imverynuts View Post
Wait, he isn't a native English speaker? I must have missed that since I think he's so good I could tell the difference
Wait, thanks, I really appreciate what you all said about my English but this is a bit exaggerated ahahah
I'm not really fluent because I haven't spoken in English since I graduated from high school. Maybe my English seems good because when I'm writing I have more time to elaborate the phrases and can stop and think about it.
Anyway, as I said, I really appreciate this, because I consider this forum also as a training ground (for example, I have just searched this word on the vocabulary) for my English. So thank you!

Edit:

Oh and obviously, thank you for all your answers and comments. It's great to be understood about something I can't explain to anyone else.

Last edited by Aragorn97; 08-13-2019 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 08-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Hey Aragorn, how are you?!

Firstly, as Bamagirl stated, your English is excellent, so, no worries there…

Quote:
No, I don't think you are weird or crazy.
Well, I can assure you, you are definitely NOT “weird” or “crazy”, and I totally “empathize” with what you are going through, 100%...

Been there”, “seen it”, “done that”…

Probably still “doing it”, if I’m going to be totally honest…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
I've never been in love in my lifetime. Never found a girl I wanted to even just know better. Yes, I've met a lot of girls and have some female friends but, even though some of them were cute and/or pleasant, I never really felt anything I could call love towards one of them. Maybe once I thought I was in love with one of my friend in high school, but everything came back to normal after 3 weeks.
Trust me, it will happen, you just have not found the “right” one yet. No rush, you are still young, it will happen when it’s “meant to”. I’m a great believer in “karma”…

Lets see, in my own case, in my life so far, there have been 3 “Great”, “loves of my life”, 2 “near misses”, and quite a few, emm, how can I put this “politely”, “sensual dalliances”…

So, at your age, you probably have a lot of “fun” stuff, to “see” and “do”, with regard to the “opposite sex”, still to look forward to.

Quote:
So, back to Alizée. What are my heart and mind feeling? I can't speak/look at any other girl without thinking "she is not like Alizée". That's true even if I only consider the mere aesthetic point of view: to me no top model can reach her.
Again, I totally understand this one, fully, but, this feeling will pass, it usually takes about a year to do so, but, until it does, your “bar”, with regards to a “standard” for potential “partners” will be set at a totally “unreachable” high, for such women do not really “exist”…

Will get back to that one later…

Quote:
I had never seen anything more beautiful than that girl. She was (is) more incredible than any human being and everything my eyes had ever seen. Her voice and eyes indescribable.
Since then, I began to search everything about her and follow her life.
Day after day, I saw what an incredible personality she had and, above all, I felt as though her singing voice was speaking directly to my heart. So I realized that she wasn't just a singer, she was someone much more important. I realized that she was part of me.
And now, after all this time, I still feel the same and that my life would be incomplete without her.
There isn't a day I don't think about her. Everything about her drives me crazy: her smile, her voice, her way to speak, her way to do everything. Sometimes I found myself thinking of her and I realize that my heartbeat is accelerated.
I've never felt anything like this toward something or someone.
Is this love? Am I in love with Alizée?
I know I've never met her and that I don't actually know how she is, but, as I was saying, she speaks directly my heart and I just don't know what is all this. Is it possible to be in love with someone you have never met?
Again, I fully understand. I have never ever met Alizée, and never will, I do not know her, and she most definitely does not “know” me, nor “know of me”, and conceivably never will...

So why/how “in the name of god”, does this tiny little French/Corsican girl literally “spellbind” me?

Why does there feel like there is some sort of “spiritual/karmic” “bond” or “tie” there?

It makes no sense, taking into account all of the above, and to be honest, it does sometimes trouble me immensely, and, gets really “irksome” at times...

I like to pride myself on being “untouchable” and “inscrutable”, and along comes Alizée, a “total stranger”, and a “French” one at a that, and “pow”, all “sense” and “sanity”, “goes out the window”…

Jeez, I just don’t get it…

Anyhow, back to the topic…

Quote:
I've never felt anything like this toward something or someone.
Is this love? Am I in love with Alizée?
I know I've never met her and that I don't actually know how she is, but, as I was saying, she speaks directly my heart and I just don't know what is all this. Is it possible to be in love with someone you have never met?
OK. Some people are not going to like this answer, and I apologize for that, but with regard to “truest”, most “accurate”, “appropriate” usage of the word, the answer is “no”...

The word “love” gets “bandied about” a lot, and used in a hugely “broad” swath of contexts, that to be honest, are hugely “inaccurate”. We use the term a lot in life, to describe a wide range of totally disparate ideas and concepts, that are mostly just “sophistry”, to be honest, and use it incorrectly, most of the time...

Technically, in the “truest” sense, it is NOT possible to “love” someone that you do not actually know.

A lot of these other “feelings” that we loosely term as being “love”, are actually, “something else”, that I’m not really going to go into here, cause it would take waay too long…

However…

This “thread”, and the “Women and Alizée” “thread” made me “pause for thought”, and caused a lot of pretty “savage” introspection on my part, with regard the effect that Alizée has had on “my life”, “my emotions” and “my relationships”, overall.

In fact, it perturbed me that much, that I actually went and performed a little psychological “experiment” with regard to the whole “phenomenon”.

Now, I will admit, with regard to “true scientific method”, and “overall validity”, my “sample size” was too small, and my “control group” unfortunately most likely had some “bias” built in, and, I was exploring several “hypotheses” at the same time, so there is absolutely no danger of this ever being published as a serious “paper”, but, it did “illuminate” several points for me.

The first thing that was emm, “investigated”, for want of a better word, was the difference in “perceptions” of “my Alizée”, vs, “Joe Public’s Alizée”

Basically, the subjects, were shown a variety of Alizée’s videos from most of the salient points in her career, shown some really “nice photos shoots”, and supplied with a variety of relevant biographical materials about her life.

Reactions of the “Alizée fans”, and, “everyone else” were then compared.

Not going to detail the reactions of the “Alizée fans”, for you don’t have to look any further than here, in this very “forum”, to get an idea of what they were. Suffice to say, they were just “biased to the max”…

Now, the “non fans” reactions were interesting, and basically “boiled down” to this, that Alizée is:

A 34 year old French/Corsican lady;
Is an ex-singer/dancer that had a “moderately successful”, but very “short lived” showbiz career;
Rates a “5 to 6.5”/10 on the “cuteness” scale, “then” and “now”;
Is/was “alright/pretty”, “girl next door type”, “nothing really special”…
Has a “cute” daughter;
Has a “cute” and “very talented” husband;
Has 2 “very cute” dogs;
Lives in Ajaccio, Corsica, which looks really nice;
Likes “sneakers” a lot;
Has a quirky fashion sense/style;
Is very “human”…

That was basically it…

At the “end of the day”, to “them”, she was “nothing special”, really, at all…

Which is probably the viewpoint of about 99.99999% of “everyone” with regard to this particular subject…

Well, you can imagine how I was taking all of this…

I think I went through every emotion ranging from “anger”, to “outrage”, to “sorrow”, and everything in between…

Was almost ready to start “breaking out” the “pitchforks” and “torches” and declare a “jihad” upon the “infidels” and “unbelievers”…

But, at the “end of the day”, I had to admit that they were “not wrong”, and that maybe I was just a “tad” “biased”, ok, maybe “outrageously biased” and “totally subjective”, in my “thoughts” and “assertions” with regard to Alizée …

There is the key word, “subjective”…

With regard to “myself”, and my “relationship”, so to speak, with “Alizée”, and her “life” and “works”, compared to most of all of the “guys” here, at this forum, I’m probably the “worst fan ever”…

I prefer her “later” “works” to her earlier stuff, for they are more “relevant” to me. I was never “hooked” nor “captivated” by the early “Lolli” stuff, for to me, she was young/old enough to be my “daughter”, and, to me personally, all that “era” of her work just “reeked” of a kind of “seedy exploitation” that was not altogether “right”, or “wholesome”, and just “awoke” the “nurturing/protective” instincts in me.

Now, make no mistake, at that particular “time”, I totally acknowledge her sensuality/sexuality, in all its many “facets”, but I was old enough to be her “father”, so it just wasn’t “appropriate”, at all.

Her “post MF/LB” works came to my attention just as my “life” had just “totally slid on its face”, and, “fell into the toilet”, so to speak. I was in the “throes” of a pretty traumatic divorce, and worse than that, due to the “dictat” of my “career” at that time, I had to act as if “nothing was going on”, “put a smile on my face”, and “get on with it”, but there was Alizée, a “fellow survivor”, and her works then were especially “poignant”, “meaningful” and “healing” for me, as they always will be, to me…

They helped me to drag myself through, and out, of that part of my life…

I have nothing but the “deepest of affection”, and “greatest”, most “profound respect” for this “little lady”, and nothing will ever change that, but I do personally keep things “rigidly in context”…

I am, and always will be, a totally unknown stranger. “Faceless”, “unknown” and “inconsequential”, which pretty much sums all of that up.

I’m not going to use the word “love”, for I do not “know” her, at all, and besides, it would not be “appropriate”, anyhow, for she is married to a husband, that she loves to “utter distraction”, which I think is just “pure dead brilliant”, and they get to be “happy”.

She has more than earned it in so many ways.

Now, I am aware that the way I “regard” Alizée, the way I “see” her, is totally “subjective” to me, to “myself”, and no-one else regards her in the same way. They can’t possibly, for we have all had different “life experiences”.

I have this “theory”, also, this “hunch”, that when we view these old videos of Alizée’s, these “digital mementoes”, “pictorial ghosts”, “remnants” of times long gone, that never really “were” in the first place, that we find, in “the Alizée” there, “exactly”, what “we”, the “individual”, “subjectively” so deeply “want”, “need” and “require”, in whatever “form” and “type” it should take.

In short, we “subjectively” see what we most desperately need/require to “survive”/”heal”/”whatever”…

We see what “we need” to see…

Which much of the time “does not”, “will not”, and “cannot”, “gel” with “objective reality”, as in what “outsiders” will most likely see, as in the “stuff” listed “above”…

Which is why I would “go easy” on trying to “explain” your own “personal appreciation” of Alizée to the “unenlightened” or “unitiated”, such as in “friends”, “partners”, “wives” or “significant others”, for it is very hard trying to justify a “viewpoint” or an “idea”, a “something”, that “only you” can “see”…

If you try this, then you may be, “best case scenario” regarded as being “quaint” or “rather eccentric”. “Worst case scenario”, you might get “tagged” as, (depending on your “age group”), as being “delusional”, “somewhat insane”, or, even as being some kind of “paedophile chickenhawk” or “something”.

“They” are probably not going to “understand”, at all, specially if “they” happens to be your “Wife”, or “significant other”…

That’s just a “recipe for disaster”…

Yes, it is easily possible to “love” several people at the one time, but you have to be “wary” about the “type” of “love” we are talking about, and the way that you “express” it…

If you put “your” love for “your Alizée” “before” that of a “partner”, or “wife”, then, there are probably a few “problems” there than need to be looked at “quickly”, or you are going to be “justifiably”, and very quickly, “alone”…

I’ve personally never ever had a problem with this, nor with any partner objecting to my Alizée “admiration”, for this usually just takes the form of my watching a couple of Alizée’s videos online, as part of a “playlist” and checking up on how her, Greg, and the “rest of the family” are doing on Instagram.

If I ever get any “objections” to that, or any “queries”, I quickly point out that that WAS Alizée when she WAS 16, WAS 18, WAS 24, whenever, and this is NOW, as above. Alizée NOW is a happily married, very pregnant, 34 year old French/Corsican lady, with a cute daughter and two cute dogs.

Key word “WAS”. This is NOW. End of story

NOW” trumps “WAS”…

That explanation usually got me off any “hook” that I was “caught” on, so it was never really a problem…

But then again, I’m probably not Alizée’s greatest fan, so the “damage” was thus easier to “mitigate”…

<sigh>

Y’know, realistically, “a bird in the hand, is worth ten in your mind”, if I may “paraphrase” an old saying.

Speaking as an ex-Clinical Psychologist, “reality” trumps “fantasy”, or it “should”, but “life” is “life”, and sometimes it doesn’t, and that’s when you “fix the problems”, “make a change”, or go see one of these nice “therapist” people.

I tend to look upon the whole thing, overall, as being kind of like a very strong, “crush” on someone, that does, and should, wear off after a while…

It can happen to “any” and “all” of us, and with regard to Alizée, I’m probably just as “ afflicted” as everyone else here, but it can go too far…

“Can You Be Addicted To Love? We Take A Look At Limerence”
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...ce_a_23268811/

If that sounds at all “familiar”, then, most likely something in your life may need "looked at" and and/or fixed…

Anyhow…

This will “pass”, and one day, that “someone”, will enter your life…

Until then, fellow “lost soul”, enjoy, for as CleverCowboy so succinctly put it…

Quote:
So Alizee shows up in your life and stirs up strong emotions that you are inexperienced with. They are valid and there is nothing wrong with them. You will figure it out eventually, so enjoy the ride.
Welcome, and, have fun, for there’s a lot of wonderful stuff here …

Last edited by RedRafe; 08-14-2019 at 12:56 AM..
Old 08-14-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRafe View Post
Technically, in the “truest” sense, it is NOT possible to “love” someone that you do not actually know.
HI, RedRafe!
I think the point of all this thing is exactly this: I know what I said is something really strange, but the problem is that you could be right from the theoretical point of view. In practice, anything is possible.
That's why I turn to some poets for help, especially Dante. As I said, he basically fell in love with a stranger. Beatrice was married to another man and died very young. Dante was also married but he never stopped loving her. And 700 years ago there weren't videos and photos that could help him to remember: it was all in his mind. I think it is the same for me and all of us.

Quote:

Trust me, it will happen, you just have not found the “right” one yet. No rush, you are still young, it will happen when it’s “meant to”. I’m a great believer in “karma”…

Lets see, in my own case, in my life so far, there have been 3 “Great”, “loves of my life”, 2 “near misses”, and quite a few, emm, how can I put this “politely”, “sensual dalliances”…

So, at your age, you probably have a lot of “fun” stuff, to “see” and “do”, with regard to the “opposite sex”, still to look forward to.
This is another crucial part of the subject. I've never had a "normal" girlfriend to love: this is not really a problem, I simply haven't found someone yet. I mean, I have no problem with myself.
But this could be a problem about this Alizée thing. Because I can't compare the "usual type of love" with this strong feelings I have towards Alizée. I can't distinguish "real love": maybe Alizée is my real and only love, maybe is "only" a kind of soulmate (as, i think, Mr Coucou said), who knows? The only one who can answer is me, but not now.
I know that all this thing will pass, as you said, because it is different to simply have videos and songs of some famous person instead of someone who is actually close to you during your life. Alizée doesn't even know of my existence. But she will always be a part of my heart, that's for sure.
To be honest, using your and CleverCowboy's words, I haven't set any bar. I think love is an innate thing of human beings: If I see a girl, I don't stop and think "Alizée is better". The fact is that when I see a girl, my mind goes to Alizée as though I don't control it. I mean, I do nothing. It's like breathing: you do it all the time even if you're not thinking about it. I don't look for a girl on the same level or Alizée, or a girl like her. I have her in my mind, there is no "classification".

And yes, I do think I have a lot of "fun things" to do at my age, but the problem is the same: I want someone I love at my side. I mean, those "sensual dalliances" seem something really fun lol, maybe I could enjoy them , but, I don't know, I just want "my personal Alizée". So now the question is: does my personal Alizée coincide with the actual Alizée (Jacotey)? This is a very clumsy way to say: who is the love of my life?

Quote:
OK. Some people are not going to like this answer, and I apologize for that, but with regard to “truest”, most “accurate”, “appropriate” usage of the word, the answer is “no”...

The word “love” gets “bandied about” a lot, and used in a hugely “broad” swath of contexts, that to be honest, are hugely “inaccurate”. We use the term a lot in life, to describe a wide range of totally disparate ideas and concepts, that are mostly just “sophistry”, to be honest, and use it incorrectly, most of the time...
As I said I don't know if this is real love, I can't say it. But what is for sure is that I'm not abusing this word. I could say to no one "I love you" (in the way of loving a partner, so the italian "ti amo") but one single person... That's the problem: I know this kind of love only through Alizée, and so again: who's the one for me? Now, I see only Alizée.

Quote:
I have this “theory”, also, this “hunch”, that when we view these old videos of Alizée’s, these “digital mementoes”, “pictorial ghosts”, “remnants” of times long gone, that never really “were” in the first place, that we find, in “the Alizée” there, “exactly”, what “we”, the “individual”, “subjectively” so deeply “want”, “need” and “require”, in whatever “form” and “type” it should take.

In short, we “subjectively” see what we most desperately need/require to “survive”/”heal”/”whatever”…

We see what “we need” to see…
I've thought about this theory a couple of times before and I think it is true. The problem is that, now, I just love everything of Alizée. I learned to love her the way she is over time. I realize that there are some types of behaviors that I find annoying, but If I notice them in Alizée's personality, either I automatically ignore them or I could even find them cute lol

Quote:

“Can You Be Addicted To Love? We Take A Look At Limerence”
https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...ce_a_23268811/

If that sounds at all “familiar”, then, most likely something in your life may need "looked at" and and/or fixed…

Anyhow…

This will “pass”, and one day, that “someone”, will enter your life…

Until then, fellow “lost soul”, enjoy, for as CleverCowboy so succinctly put it…

Welcome, and, have fun, for there’s a lot of wonderful stuff here …
I don't think I have this limerence problem thing. As I said, for now, I see no one that can make my heart beat accelerate like Alizée, but I'm absolutely open to know other "tangible" girls. As I said, I know within me, that a person need someone to love at his/her side, but I think that Alizée will always be close to my soul. It's the same thing I wrote above. For now, talking about love towards a "potential" partner, my experience tells me that there is only Alizée. The problem is that my experience is very, very limited. Lol

So I don't know if this i-love-alizée thing will pass, probably yes, but she'll always be the woman that let me in this weird place called love. A very strange type of love.

Probably, in a few years I'll see Alizée as an old friend of mine. For now "enjoy the ride", because is awesome!
Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Have you read any of the English translations of the original Italian poetry? I would be so interested to know how much you feel is lost after the translation.
HI, Bamagirl!
I've just read something from the Divina Commedia in English and, as I expected, I have to say that I prefer the original version. These types of works have so many details that it is difficult to keep them in their translations. The same thing goes for the author's style. And, anyway I think I'm too used to the original version, because there are phrases that are legendary in our culture.

I can also recommend you something about the type of love we're talking about: during the 13th century we had this literary movement, called "Dolce stil novo", which had some interesting concepts and topics like the so-called "angel-like woman", which I suggest you to analyze. There were many poets, like Cavalcanti and obviously Dante.
This is one of my favorite poems among the few I know and, if I remember correctly, the manifesto af Stil novo. It is really spot on

http://limegreenlight.blogspot.com/2...-pare.html?m=1

I've seen that there are a lot of different translations in English, so probably you could find a better one, but this one seems good. There is also a short analysis.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylee View Post
The language, the dancing, cute outfits, soulful singing mixed with symphony and electronic beats were enchanting. Ella Elle l'a. She has it. Now I'm in AA with no plans of recovery.
I agree about Ella Elle L'a. The French words she sings are beautiful in the song. If I was stuck on a deserted island and can choose three Alizee videos (En Concert not counting), this would be one of them. However, recharging my laptop might be a bit of an issue.

Edit:

Quote:
This is one of my favorite poems among the few I know and, if I remember correctly, the manifesto af Stil novo. It is really spot on

I'm not much of a poetry guy, but this was really good. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 08-15-2019 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 08-16-2019, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But to be honest, Dante's Divina commedia is so old that sometimes you have to translate it even if you're Italian lol.
I can understand that! It is the same with with some of the great English literature. Chaucer (who came a little later than Dante) wrote a version of English that is very different from that of English speaking people today. And even more relatively recent works, such as the plays and poems by William Shakespeare, are difficult for many to completely understand.

Quote:
Wow, that's a great work!,If you don't mind, I would like to read it when you finish to write it.
I'd be happy to share it with you. I will also try to dig up a sonnet from a sequence I wrote for a college course about the various types of love, as well. One of them addresses love for someone one does not personally know: a celebrity or just a person admired from a distance.

Quote:
As I said, I'm a bit busy in these days, but as soon as I have time, I could recommend to you a few poems I studied at school.
When you have time, that would be wonderful!

Quote:
She makes me feel emotions that are completely new to me. I just have to understand if it is true that she'll be my only love. For now, absolutely yes.
I hope you won't be annoyed when I say this, because doubtless you hear this a lot, but you are still so very young...please believe me that there is SO much time ahead of you. It is hard for you to really appreciate that, now, I know. But the fact that you are capable of these kinds of deep emotions, as well as your ability to acknowledge and analyze them, indicate to me that you are someone who will have a great deal to give to a partner in life.

You have the capacity to feel deep love and to cherish special qualities in a person. Trust me, you will find that! Just don't rush into anything and don't try to force it...it will come in its own time. In the meantime, enjoy being yourself, growing and maturing and learning more about yourself. And enjoy the feelings you have for Alizée without worrying about them or fearing you won't experience them for anyone else. Developing this ability to feel love will help enable you to give love to someone in your life, one day--and to express it fully. Anyway...that's my advice and I'll stop my sermon now!

Quote:
Wait, thanks, I really appreciate what you all said about my English but this is a bit exaggerated ahahah
I'm not really fluent because I haven't spoken in English since I graduated from high school.
I must assure you that your English is pretty much flawless. Honestly--you express yourself in English as well or better than many native English speakers! Americans, in particular, are generally sadly lacking in language skills. Our education system does not do a good job, overall, teaching students other languages. It is something I have always regretted, and I deeply admire those who do speak more than one language. I have always thought how much that must enrich one's life.

Edit:

Quote:
HI, Bamagirl!
I've just read something from the Divina Commedia in English and, as I expected, I have to say that I prefer the original version. These types of works have so many details that it is difficult to keep them in their translations. The same thing goes for the author's style. And, anyway I think I'm too used to the original version, because there are phrases that are legendary in our culture.

I can also recommend you something about the type of love we're talking about: during the 13th century we had this literary movement, called "Dolce stil novo", which had some interesting concepts and topics like the so-called "angel-like woman", which I suggest you to analyze. There were many poets, like Cavalcanti and obviously Dante.

I've seen that there are a lot of different translations in English, so probably you could find a better one, but this one seems good. There is also a short analysis.
Thank you so much, Aragorn! I really appreciate your thoughts. I will definitely read the poem you speak of, and look for the poets.

Last edited by Bamagirl; 08-16-2019 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 08-16-2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That is lovely, Aragorn! I am going to continue reading based on your suggestions, but I wanted to let you know that this poem really does seem to capture the emotions you, and others on this forum, have for Alizée.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I'd be happy to share it with you. I will also try to dig up a sonnet from a sequence I wrote for a college course about the various types of love, as well. One of them addresses love for someone one does not personally know: a celebrity or just a person admired from a distance.
Great!

Quote:
I hope you won't be annoyed when I say this, because doubtless you hear this a lot, but you are still so very young...please believe me that there is SO much time ahead of you. It is hard for you to really appreciate that, now, I know. But the fact that you are capable of these kinds of deep emotions, as well as your ability to acknowledge and analyze them, indicate to me that you are someone who will have a great deal to give to a partner in life.

You have the capacity to feel deep love and to cherish special qualities in a person. Trust me, you will find that! Just don't rush into anything and don't try to force it...it will come in its own time. In the meantime, enjoy being yourself, growing and maturing and learning more about yourself. And enjoy the feelings you have for Alizée without worrying about them or fearing you won't experience them for anyone else. Developing this ability to feel love will help enable you to give love to someone in your life, one day--and to express it fully. Anyway...that's my advice and I'll stop my sermon now!
Oh, wow, thanks for your words! I'll certainly treasure them. I'm so glad I created this thread: on this forum I wrote things about me that no one else knows and I've found people that can understand me and give me advice. Thank you so much! <3

Quote:

I must assure you that your English is pretty much flawless. Honestly--you express yourself in English as well or better than many native English speakers! Americans, in particular, are generally sadly lacking in language skills. Our education system does not do a good job, overall, teaching students other languages. It is something I have always regretted, and I deeply admire those who do speak more than one language. I have always thought how much that must enrich one's life.
Well, I have to say that it is really similar to Italy eh eh. In my opinion, our educational system is a bit dated. Plus, my high school teacher wasn't that good: she spoke in English with the neapolitan accent lol. It was really funny but not so useful for my pronunciation. Luckily, thanks to internet and all this new stuff, it is easy to read books, watch movies and TV shows and talk to people in English.
I can assure you that speaking another language gives a great boost to your culture and life. You access a lot of different things (right now I'm reading a book in English), like for example this very forum!
But anyway your mother tongue is English, so you should be less affected by this. I mean, English is the most popular language in the world.
If it can help you, I have something to regret, too. When I was 11-13, I studied French at school. But it was only for 3 years, I was a child and didn't like French and my teacher, again, was useless. Now, I understand very little about this language... When I finish university, I would like to sign up for a French course, but I don't know if I will have time to do it: for now I'll probably concentrate on English because it is fundamental for future and anyway I have to improve in spoken language.

Edit:

Quote:
I wanted to let you know that this poem really does seem to capture the emotions you, and others on this forum, have for Alizée.
Exactly! Eh eh

I'm really happy to hear that you like it. The Stil novo is a great source of these kind of poems.
But I've just remembered another one, which is really good. It is called La pioggia nel pineto, by Gabriele D'annunzio (it should be early 20th century).

Anyway I'm not actually the kind of guy who read poems, so I know not many of them. But if I find my literature books or just remember other poems, I'll tell you. Anyway if you want to ask me anything about Italian literature, I'll be happy to help

Last edited by Aragorn97; 08-16-2019 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 08-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I've read this poem again and again. It is quite moving.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I've read this poem again and again. It is quite moving.
Yes, and if you imagine Alizée while you're reading about that woman... "Sigh"