Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default Did Alizée's French fans abandon her?

I've often wondered about the 2 cancelled concerts in Paris and thought where were all her fans? The ones that were screaming for her reaching out for her on stage at those 6 concerts at the Olympia in Paris, not to mention the other what was it 20 concerts in France. If they liked her then, why didn't they like her now?
Well the recent thread I started in here about what has happened with Mylene Farmer since their split, I also started in AF. RMJ responded to part of my post in this way.
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777
After Alizée split with Mylene Farmer and Laurent Boutanant, she didn't have as much success as she did in her early years
RMJ. .Partly because she lost most of her fans due to leaving Mylène. The most of her fans were fan of Mylène. Ok, they weren't even that much fan of Alizée, just her followers because she was product of Mylène who they really adore.

and I think that pretty well explains it. It's something I never really considered because I thought probably the reason for Farmer looking for some one else to perform her songs was she probably thought as she was getting older, her own popularity was dwindling. Being about 3,500 miles away from Paris, I really have no idea of what's going on over there but it's very obvious that when I thought her star was fading, such was not the case. She is still immensely popular over there. People just love the music and the shows that her and LB put together. So I think what happened with the fans can be best described as not as abandoning Alizée, but as sticking with Mylene and Laurent.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM

MarkL is on a distinguished road

Even still, after following someone for a while you start to become attactched even if it wasnt their intention to begin with.

Watching clips from the En Concert DVD (From youtube) everyones going crazy, singing to the songs and everything...now, maybe her fans didnt abandon her, maybe she moved forward to fast for them leaving them behind stuck and caught in the past.

At the same time I was thinking about this today...Alizee was ahead of the time in terms of music which actually makes me sad. Today we have songs like Lady Gaga and stuff being relle big, several years before that Mademoiselle Juiliette was released, and it reminds me of a Gaga song but one that is actually good.

So it made me think, she would have been huge if she was biorn a bit later, had the same life but as able to move the stuff towards this time period. At the same rate, if she was American or at least Moved to America and preformed songs like that in English. I Personally Gurantee, it would have been a #1 Hit with the music that people are listening too today.

She had tons of fame back in 2003. Just imagine what it could have been like if those songs came out now.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Scruffy, what RMJ said is probably a big part of it. Probably many fans were even outraged that Alizée left MF/LB and considered her an ungrateful little traitor. I don't. I think she did the right thing. Whatever she chose to do, it was going to be a battle for her to maintain her popularity. And to be honest, some of the things she has done has not necessarily helped her in that area.

Sometimes when a star rises so quickly and burns so brightly, they burn out pretty fast. Alizée burst on the scene and it's almost like she was kind of like a fad. Such artists often find themselves fading out quickly, and much of the positive feelings the public has for them can even become negative. They now see her as "old news" and really don't want to listen to her now. They want something new, the next fad. And there is probably a significant number of people who were too young to remember much about her. So even if she worked with MF/LB again, I think she would still be facing quite a battle.

Maybe if she had a really kick-ass single that everyone would love, she could break through the negative mindset. I think she has grown as an artist and she has gotten some good reviews from the critics, but I don't think that's going to do it. The other possibility for her is new markets where people have not prejudged her. Maybe Alizée is content with where she's at, putting out music that satisfies her own artistic needs. But I wouldn't doubt she would like to be more widely accepted and appreciated again in her own country. And of course there must be some threshold she must meet in sales to keep certain doors open to her.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:46 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Also how many of her male fans left after her marriage and birth of Annie Li ?

Britney's career took back off after she divorced Kevin F. and also put out a really good Album.

You look at that audience in En Concert and the make up of the fans.

I'd say between the pre-teens, parents and 15 - 25 year old males it was 80%.

I remember the posts on boards I was lurking on back in 2005-2006 of guys just hoping she would dump Jeremy. After Annie's birth these same guys just faded off those boards.

Didn't we just have a poster a few months ago telling of introducing his friend to Alizée. The friend was nuts about her until he found out she was married with a daughter. Like that should make a difference?

There isn't one thing that is causing this problem, there are many.

1) Taking four years off.
2) Getting Married
3) Having a child
4) Changing your style and
putting out two marginal Albums after returning.

Moving on from Myléne and Laurent may or may not have been a major factor but it did affect her career. That four year vacation away from the public from 2004-2007 probably was the biggest factor in hurting her long term career.

Had she come back at the end of 2007 with a a really great album all would have been forgiven but Psychedelices was an OK album not a great album.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Psychédélices Era Fan

Zeerre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post

2) Getting Married
3) Having a child

Moving on from Myléne and Laurent may or may not have been a major factor but it did affect her career. That four year vacation away from the public from 2004-2007 probably was the biggest factor in hurting her long term career.
Exactly. There were many factors that contributed to her decline in popularity, there wasn't a sole reason that was responsible for all of it, and anyone who believes otherwise is naive in doing so.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:31 PM
A Contre Courant...

Rictor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also how many of her male fans left after her marriage and birth of Annie Li ?

I remember the posts on boards I was lurking on back in 2005-2006 of guys just hoping she would dump Jeremy. After Annie's birth these same guys just faded off those boards.

Didn't we just have a poster a few months ago telling of introducing his friend to Alizée. The friend was nuts about her until he found out she was married with a daughter. Like that should make a difference?
hahahaha. You know, that actually reminds me of something from when I was about 8 years old. I don't know why, but it has always stuck to me. I overheard a conversation between my grandparents about some male celebrity who was told by his agent to hold off on getting married. The rationale being that he would have much greater success if he stayed single so that women could always fantasize about being with him as long as he's single. It sounds ridiculous, but I can sort of understand the mentality behind this. I guess Lilly would be more marketable if she were single, but I agree that it shouldn't matter since her music should be what people are into.

Quote:

2) Getting Married
3) Having a child

Had she come back at the end of 2007 with a a really great album all would have been forgiven but Psychedelices was an OK album not a great album.
I think the change of style was the biggest influencing factor out of the four main reasons you've listed. If she were married, had a child, took time off, but still came out with what MOST fans expected of her - some type of M+L fueled album with all the feel good songs and vibes that the first two albums produced, it most likely would have been much more successful.

But it's impossible to gauge whether or not this would be even be true since there are a number of people that liked Psych but may not have wanted the same stuff that's been done to death for the first two albums. (I would have loved it though). In other words - the fans that Psych was able to draw in for her may or may not have been into her if she released something else INSTEAD of Psych.

Visit my channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikDcLKqMBQpkJ5gUANAX0Q
Old 09-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

I've come to realize something recently about being an artist. An artist has no real depth until he or she has suffered. Pain and loss must be endured, obstacles overcome. Only then does a person have anything to write, draw, or sing about. That depth can't be faked. It has to come from real pain in one's life that one has survived and that has made one strong. A part of Alizée's problem may simply be that she has lived a fairy-tale life. She has never really suffered!

I hate to say it, but the best thing that could happen for her career might be something really awful happening to her. Jérémy leaves her. Or her mother is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Or Annily is run over by a car. I don't wish any of these fates on her or her family, but something needs to deepen and strengthen her.

It might even be enough that her career flounders at this point and she has to work like a dog to resurrect it. But somehow or other she needs to pass an ordeal of initiation. I know that's going to sound awful to some, but it's true.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
A Contre Courant...

Rictor is on a distinguished road

That would only be contingent upon what type of music you're actually looking for. Since she started out as (and is still for the most part doing) POP, there really is no need for her music to have more depth. If you wanted music that touches on more serious issues or has more "strength" to it, you would most likely find it in a different genre...but I never really expect this from pop. Her music is generally "feel good" music with the exception of UEDS and certain tracks on Psych.

I think it's a good thing that she has lived the kind of life that she has. If she had even been through HALF the things that I have, it would be damn near impossible for her to display the sort of persona that made her popular in the first place! Besides, even if she had to deal with some strong issues in her life, it would not automatically mean that her work would somehow magically become "BETTER" as a result of it. It might even be WORSE. It's not an exact science. Traumatic events does not always = better work later on. I think it depends on the individual, but your point is well taken.

Visit my channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikDcLKqMBQpkJ5gUANAX0Q
Old 09-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

Sting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
I've come to realize something recently about being an artist. An artist has no real depth until he or she has suffered. Pain and loss must be endured, obstacles overcome. Only then does a person have anything to write, draw, or sing about. That depth can't be faked. It has to come from real pain in one's life that one has survived and that has made one strong. A part of Alizée's problem may simply be that she has lived a fairy-tale life. She has never really suffered!

I hate to say it, but the best thing that could happen for her career might be something really awful happening to her. Jérémy leaves her. Or her mother is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Or Annily is run over by a car. I don't wish any of these fates on her or her family, but something needs to deepen and strengthen her.

It might even be enough that her career flounders at this point and she has to work like a dog to resurrect it. But somehow or other she needs to pass an ordeal of initiation. I know that's going to sound awful to some, but it's true.
she could be the next Cobain! heh
Old 09-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post

But isn't her positive vibe a big contributing factor to her appeal? I thought that added to her success while she had it- she always did feel-good, happy songs with only an occasional sad ballad. There's so much negative music in the world today, so many partying-while-trashed and sex tunes (I'm looking at you, Gaga!), and Alizee sings (sang?) about nice things and that was a total breath of fresh air.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée