Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road
Default Limelight

Please discuss:
1)What this song means to you.
2)What do you feel about this song.
3)What you like/don't like, and why.
4)How good it is from a musical standpoint.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Please refrain from using one-line comments (ex. "I Agree" "It's Awesome")
__________________________________________________ _______________

1)This song means the most any song has ever meant to me.
-I feel this song is a parallel of my spiritual life. I felt I had been lost until I had found God, and this song shows the journey up to knowing about religion.

I don’t know where I’m going, looking for the limelight, Bright

I can’t recall where I’ve been in this long, long flight, Light

These two lines sum up what I feel about this song and my search for God and religion. I finally found the light just like Alizée did in this song.

2)I feel Alizée is trying to find where she belongs in this song. I think she realized her main fanbase is no longer France but is Mexico. And she finally found her new fanbase and this shows it:

I don’t know where I’m going, looking for the limelight, Bright

I can’t recall where I’ve been in this long, long flight, Light

She is trying to find her place. And sorry I relate the songs to Alizee alot and forget its about Edie Sedgwick. I am happy that Alizee found Mexico and this song and La Candida show it.

Les Collines (never leave you) also shows that she left France and figured out Mexico is her new home. It is quite sad....

3)At first I didn't like this song much when it first came on the WWW, but now it is in my top3 because of the meaning it has to me and the music it uses. The violin is just amazing in it. There is nothing in this song I don't like.

4)I love the violins to no end in this song. They make this song so amazing. And then the bass takes over and I fall into a deep mesmerizing sleep. This music in this song seduces the mind and I love it

Last edited by User22; 06-25-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Old 06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Alizée Always And Forever

RobandSandy is on a distinguished road

This is by far my favorite song by Alizée. When I burn UEDS and cranked it,,,my speakers were so close to the CD changer it made the stereo skip,,,,so I move my speakers further away from the console,,,, still skipped {only time my stereo ever skipped before} It remind me of price one must pay to be in the Limelight. And I cross paralell my life with leaving NYC. And I needed to leave the cold behind me in the rear view mirror too. Bye Bye Cleveland I loved you so but I had to let you go.... Best baseline I have ever heard.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrhein View Post
It remind me of price one must pay to be in the Limelight. And I cross paralell my life with leaving NYC.
It is definitely another song about leaving and trying to find a new place. This is what I love about it. Alizee found Mexico and that is what matters in this song Hopefully you found your new place too. Leaving places is a sad thing and it happens to all of us, even Alizée.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 PM
>9K

AlizéeInspired is on a distinguished road

One of the first songs I heard in full of the album and I fell in love with it. Plus its all in english (except oui ) so I thought that was cool.

As for what the song means to me, I get from it what the title suggests really, the limelight. Here is what I get from different parts and lyrics of the song.

"Dream always and all ways" is more telling how one should always dream, but in all ways. To always have a dream and shoot for it. Also to be broad and have goals for many things. Even if one doesn't have goals or dreams, it tells one to at least always better their self in as many ways as possible.
"I don't know where I'm going / Looking for the limelight (bright)" What I get from this is more how one may not be sure what their future has in store for them but they are looking for the "limelight" or to at least be successful.
"I can't recall where I've been / In this long long white night" is, to me, saying how one hasn't done much of anything yet in comparison to what they want to do or will do. Everything has just been a kind of daze and one may feel they have wasted time.
"Find a way and away" How one should find a way to get to where they want to be going and find that success they want. Then go for it. But then we come the next line.
"I don't know if I should" Showing doubt and possibly nervousness or fear in their journey to the limelight.
"Burning waves of ecstasy... Oui" Here one has found or is close to the "limelight", success, or fame that they want. Feeling that rush of ecstasy that one feels when performing for an audience or living up their dream. That would be where "oui" comes in as the "YES!" or satisfaction of the moment.
"Stairs, lights, music, sweat / Scares, fright, panic, fright" I find ending the song here with this is quite appropriate. Stairs show the climb to the goal one wanted. Lights being the glory along with it. Music being the the pleasure or enjoyment of the journey and moment. Sweat being the hard work. Scares, fright, and panic being the risks one took in getting there or also just what one may feel when experiencing the "limelight".

So for me, the song is more a story or telling about the journey to living up to your dreams. More of a "Don't be afraid and just go for it!" kind of thing. If you have a dream, do it or at least try. If you have passion then believe in it and do it. The way I see it, there are many "limelights", big and small. An example of something small: first one will dream, and if that dream is for them to learn another language then they will/must "find a way and away" (find a way to fulfill their dream and go for it). Then when they have become fluent and learned it then they reached that little "limelight" in being able to enjoy it.

But then, more on the dark side of the album, I also get from the song and its lyrics how the "limelight" can corrupt or become addicting for some. It all depends on how you look at it and what you get from it I guess.

From a musical stanpoint, I really like the song. Pretty chill and easy to listen to. It has a really good beat and I love the percussion. I enjoy the percussion throughout the whole album really. The music is just great and I love hearing her sing in english
Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 PM
A Contre Courant...

Rictor is on a distinguished road

Stage fright - Alizée has always said that she's shy on stage, although she LOVES to perform. For me personally it just reminds me of being the center of attention; whether giving a presentation on something or otherwise - you're in the "limelight" and you try to do your best in spite of your fears.

It makes me feel confident when I'm about to do something that I would normally be afraid to do.

3)What you like/don't like, and why.

I didn't like this song the first time I heard it because I felt that it was lyrically weak. But when I got new speakers and heard it again at a high volume, the instrumentals blew me away. I was really impressed by how addictive this song can be.

4)How good it is from a musical standpoint.

See number 3.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrhein View Post
This is by far my favorite song by Alizée. When I burn UEDS and cranked it,,,my speakers were so close to the CD changer it made the stereo skip,,,,so I move my speakers further away from the console,,,, still skipped {only time my stereo ever skipped before} It remind me of price one must pay to be in the Limelight. And I cross paralell my life with leaving NYC. And I needed to leave the cold behind me in the rear view mirror too. Bye Bye Cleveland I loved you so but I had to let you go.... Best baseline I have ever heard.
Wait are you talking about Limelight or Les Collines?

Last edited by Rictor; 06-25-2010 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeInspired View Post
"Stairs, lights, music, sweat / Scares, fright, panic, fright" I find ending the song here with this is quite appropriate. Stairs show the climb to the goal one wanted. Lights being the glory along with it. Music being the the pleasure or enjoyment of the journey and moment. Sweat being the hard work. Scares, fright, and panic being the risks one took in getting there or also just what one may feel when experiencing the "limelight".
I now understand what this part really means. Thanks for helping AI!

And I will definitely use some of your analysiseses for analyzing her songs as poems in English next year
Old 06-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Alizée Always And Forever

RobandSandy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeInspired View Post
One of the first songs I heard in full of the album and I fell in love with it. Plus its all in english (except oui ) so I thought that was cool.

As for what the song means to me, I get from it what the title suggests really, the limelight. Here is what I get from different parts and lyrics of the song.

"Dream always and all ways" is more telling how one should always dream, but in all ways. To always have a dream and shoot for it. Also to be broad and have goals for many things. Even if one doesn't have goals or dreams, it tells one to at least always better their self in as many ways as possible.
"I don't know where I'm going / Looking for the limelight (bright)" What I get from this is more how one may not be sure what their future has in store for them but they are looking for the "limelight" or to at least be successful.
"I can't recall where I've been / In this long long white night" is, to me, saying how one hasn't done much of anything yet in comparison to what they want to do or will do. Everything has just been a kind of daze and one may feel they have wasted time.
"Find a way and away" How one should find a way to get to where they want to be going and find that success they want. Then go for it. But then we come the next line.
"I don't know if I should" Showing doubt and possibly nervousness or fear in their journey to the limelight.
"Burning waves of ecstasy... Oui" Here one has found or is close to the "limelight", success, or fame that they want. Feeling that rush of ecstasy that one feels when performing for an audience or living up their dream. That would be where "oui" comes in as the "YES!" or satisfaction of the moment.

So for me, the song is more a story or telling about the journey to living up to your dreams. More of a "Don't be afraid and just go for it!" kind of thing. If you have a dream, do it or at least try. If you have passion then believe in it and do it. The way I see it, there are many "limelights", big and small. An example of something small: first one will dream, and if that dream is for them to learn another language then they will/must "find a way and away" (find a way to fulfill their dream and go for it). Then when they have become fluent and learned it then they reached that little "limelight" in being able to enjoy it.

But then, more on the dark side of the album, I also get from the song and its lyrics how the "limelight" can corrupt or become addicting for some. It all depends on how you look at it and what you get from it I guess.

From a musical stanpoint, I really like the song. Pretty chill and easy to listen to. It has a really good beat and I love the percussion. I enjoy the percussion throughout the whole album really. The music is just great and I love hearing her sing in english
That was a woderful way to describe this song which is my favorite one.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rictor View Post

Stage fright - Alizée has always said that she's shy on stage, although she LOVES to perform. For me personally it just reminds me of being the center of attention; whether giving a presentation on something or otherwise - you're in the "limelight" and you try to do your best in spite of your fears.

It makes me feel confident when I'm about to do something that I would normally be afraid to do.
Man Alizée is so talented! She can even install confidence in people now! This song does give me confidence in that way just like it did for you.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Psychédélices era fan.

Marquis<3Alizée is on a distinguished road

To me it means, she is describing her music life and how far she's gotten in her life.

Merci beaucoup Alizée for everything!

http://www.youtube.com/user/limelight8494

Tags
alizee, discussion, limelight, song, ueds