Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM

Hylas1896 is on a distinguished road
Default Now I understand... [New fan]

You know, a year or two ago I would have considered anyone who spends a significant portion of time on a fan site like this as a little weird, or more. And even with respect to Alizee, I would have echoed a lot of the complaints that you often hear, that she's just an over manufactured french pop tart with a little personality. [I'd say I'm rather conservative when it comes to politics, religion, and sexuality.]

Now I understand. People are devoted fans for good reason. Not just because of Alizee, but because of life experience.

Let me explain. Last spring I got my Masters degree. The next fall, on my way to a Phd, everything, both personally and academically, went to $@#! and I ended up in the hospital. Almost. I moved back in with my parents, which was really humbling. I spent January and February in a pretty pitiful state... 18 hours a day just sleeping. I felt so weak and exhausted that I made a 'goal' of shaving at least every three days.

Slowly, I found that browsing YouTube and Google Video helped me remember my sense of humor and reignite my emotions. One day I saw J'en Ai Marre on Google Video Top 100. The first time I watched it, I left after 15 seconds. The second time, well... everyone here knows how things go from there! Now that I have mostly recovered, I can honestly say Alizee and Alizee's music played an important role in my healing.

My favorite video here is "Alizee - A Contre Courant - October 25, 2003".
If I watch this three times in a row, it's literally like I've taken a Valium. And as someone who is at times literally incapacitated by anxiety, I mean this in the most positive light imaginable!

But here's the irony. I can hardly bear to watch the J'en Ai Marre dance videos anymore, because I don't want to believe her critics. But that's the hook that brings so many of us in. There is absolutely no way I'd have learned about Alizee without that Top 100 mention of J'en Ai Marre on Google Video. Good thing my timing was right.

Hylas1896
Old 06-14-2007, 08:51 PM

Drake498 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site Hylas1896!!!
It's great to have you with us, we are always excited to have new members, everyone on here is usually friendly and very helpful
We are glad that you love Alizée as much as most of us do
And if you're confused about anything please feel free to ask or post anything, and we'll answer anything as best we can
Hmmm you might want to post this in the New Members thread
http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=707http://
Thanks for coming and enjoy the videos, boards, pics and chat!!

Je t'aime Alizée
Old 06-14-2007, 08:53 PM

Drake498 is on a distinguished road

In addition, i am moved by your story, i've had more or less similar experiences with music and depression, however all stories are unique and i am glad to hear yours. Thank you for sharing something personal yet touching, we are all here for each other as a comminity, and we are glad you have joined us

Je t'aime Alizée
Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

"Welcome Hylas1896". Glad you found this site, the best Alizée site in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your story with us, very interesting. I'm sure you will find other stories just as interesting in our intro thread........

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Alizée's songs are therapeutic. And I do mean that from a serious standpoint. Studies have shown (as if we need studies, we KNOW!!!) that certain types of music can calm us down or lift us up. Although I listen to Alizée mostly because I love her voice, I do (on occasion) listen as a way to just kick back an relax.

Also, Hylas1896, I too have a Masters. I got it in a straight shot from age five to 23...school every frikin year for 17 and a half years! There was a PhD program I could jump into, which would have taken me to age 27. But I was burned out at that point; I doubt I would have survived another four years. I've always said my Bachelor degree showed me what. My Masters showed me WHY and HOW. And once you know HOW, you have everything you need to extend your knowledge. I go toe to toe with PhDs almost every day. Although the "thousand pound brain" is indeed a great accomplishment (and needed in many technical areas), I have found the Masters is uncannily useful in the practical technical world. Even more so than the PhDs, when it comes to actually accomplishing things that need to be applied.

Welcome to the boards...and welcome to Alizée....some of the best medicine found anywhere. But be warned. She is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:17 PM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

welcome to the site, glad you found us.

watch/listen to tempête, very soothing song.

http://moi-alizee.us/play/?v=76
Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 PM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site and thanks for sharing your story.

BTW, it was a co-worker showing me the inspiration to the female Night Elf dance in World of Warcraft (JAM shake vid) that caused me to seek out this little French singer we all come to love. Each video I saw drew me in, not just the beautiful person singing but the melodies/beat of the songs. I then lurked on this site for a couple of months before I could not help but register. Wonderful folks here, and this is the first time and only forum which I've really participated with such length and devotion. Like you, I never really understood what drove all those "fans" you see on TV be it sports, stars or bands, until now.

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Norwegian

Fusoya is on a distinguished road

It was a touching story!
And welcome to the forum
Im kinda new here as well :-D
Old 06-14-2007, 11:47 PM

Hylas1896 is on a distinguished road

Addictive, yes. I used the world Valium on purpose, hehe. I'm addicted to Wikipedia too, and that's just because I'm curious by nature! It sucks, everything really good in life is either potentially addictive or unhealthy in large doses!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Welcome Hylas. I'm glad you found both her, and us!

As a starting fan, I would highly recommend you watch the 2003 1 Heure Avec Alizée interview video (it is subtitled, if you don't speak French) that is available from this site, and others. So much of her personality, her character, her intellect, and her wit come out in that video, it by itself would have been enough to win me. If you follow that up with the 2003 Stars A Domicile video, you'll know a great deal more about Lili, and will be hooked for life.

Again, welcome.