Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road
Default America is losing its mind... -_-

Sorry if the title offends anyone. But I'm American, and I personally believe this is a big deal that is not recieving big enough attention.

So, we all know about the Colorado shooting. And most of you have probably heard about the Wisconsin Sikh temple shootings. But there are still two others that are maybe lesser known (i attribute this to their smaller body count). First there was a woman who decided she wanted to hunt down men at her local grocery store (some reports told of her apologizing to a woman she accidently scared) and now (thanks to texasguy for this story) there is a shooting at Texas A&M. It's so sad. Sure, the later stories didnt have as many deaths. But that may just be no more than good luck. I'm shocked that all these seemingly random shootings aren't receiving more attention. It's like, yeah I know our presidential race is important. But after the Sikh shooting happened, I thought maybe it was a coincidence. But now that it has happened two more times, well, I'm getting scared. People with one grudge or another are taking matters into their own hands, and ending innocent people's lives for their own pleasure or whatever. Please DON'T turn this into a religious/political thing, purely psychological. Ostensible convo only. Post your well wishes for the families of victims, post news articles, whatever. Defense strategies, if you know of another shooting I haven't posted here, share that, whatever. I also ask the mods to PLEASE lock this thread if it starts to look TOO political or religious. or anti-political or religious. Just keep it clean, share your thoughts. We've all seen way to much violence and unrest to cause our own again here now.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

My mom said that after the Columbine shooting, other instances of gun violence kept cropping up in the months following as well. It seems like the same thing is happening now, misfortunes never come singly. I don't know if it's because people are taking inspiration from the one really big shooting at the theater, if the media is just doing a better job of covering this stuff because of the trend, or if tensions are just really high in general around here.

Even when the Colorado shooting happened, a lot of people pointed out that violent, terrible things happen in America every day that you don't hear about - drive-by shootings, gang violence, stuff like that. The media doesn't seem to care as much about that stuff. I guess people expect that kind of thing to happen on a regular basis - no one is surprised or shocked to hear that gang members jumped somebody and killed them, and you don't hear about it on the national news. But when a medical student goes on a rampage at the movies or something like that, everyone loses their minds, they can't believe someone could be so cruel, they wonder why it happened... the everyday gang violence-type stuff is somehow less senseless, apparently.

This is directed at the media, by the way - not you or anyone specific, really.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Remember however long ago when there was that big-ass earthquake or something somewhere? And then every single news story for the following month was nothing but "Oh sweet jesus there was a 0.08 earthquake in Florida, and a 0.3 in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, 'Merica is in danger of splitting in half, and the world is going to end"

A mother who had just divorced her abusive husband was gunned down in front of their two young children by crazy husband when she took her kids out to McDonalds in my neighborhood. The country didn't give a shit.

Now, if I take a .22 out on my land to rid of a few pests, I'm on the front page of Yahoo News as a possible co-conspirator of something and I am evidence of mental illnesses being spread by mad cow disease and global warming.

Then when a big shooting news event happens, the news will milk it with progressively smaller occurences until nobody cares anymore.

America is not "losing its mind."

We are not suddenly taking a turn for the worst. Things aren't beginning to plummet, we're not going downhill quickly.

The world is a shitty place, and the news are going to make as much money off of it as they can.

/thread
Old 08-26-2012, 02:10 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLPNLY View Post
Sorry if the title offends anyone. But I'm American, and I personally believe this is a big deal that is not recieving big enough attention.

So, we all know about the Colorado shooting. And most of you have probably heard about the Wisconsin Sikh temple shootings. But there are still two others that are maybe lesser known (i attribute this to their smaller body count). First there was a woman who decided she wanted to hunt down men at her local grocery store (some reports told of her apologizing to a woman she accidently scared) and now (thanks to texasguy for this story) there is a shooting at Texas A&M. It's so sad. Sure, the later stories didnt have as many deaths. But that may just be no more than good luck. I'm shocked that all these seemingly random shootings aren't receiving more attention. It's like, yeah I know our presidential race is important. But after the Sikh shooting happened, I thought maybe it was a coincidence. But now that it has happened two more times, well, I'm getting scared. People with one grudge or another are taking matters into their own hands, and ending innocent people's lives for their own pleasure or whatever. Please DON'T turn this into a religious/political thing, purely psychological. Ostensible convo only. Post your well wishes for the families of victims, post news articles, whatever. Defense strategies, if you know of another shooting I haven't posted here, share that, whatever. I also ask the mods to PLEASE lock this thread if it starts to look TOO political or religious. or anti-political or religious. Just keep it clean, share your thoughts. We've all seen way to much violence and unrest to cause our own again here now.
All are antisocial personalities with pure evil intent. Nothing new under the sun. There is no defense against random acts of violence in a free society unless you stay at home and lock your doors. A society that chooses safety over freedom deserves neither. ( Benjamin Franklin)
Old 08-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Blacksmith/knifemaker

woohoo is on a distinguished road

There are shooting deaths every day in America, nothing new. The media is really just over reporting some instances like in new york as opposed to the ones every day in Bronx, Detroit, even Washington D.C the capital not 15 miles from the White house.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nickwoo2
Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

It's just the way things are. We had the Beltway Sniper around here ten years ago, and many of the shootings happened in the same county I work in. Everyone was talking about it, and we all used irregular gaits when walking across open outdoor areas, moving side to side and such. But most people took it in stride and realized it was random, and everyone went on with their daily activites. There just wasn't anything that you could do aside from staying locked up at home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks

I know, it's Wikipedia, but I glanced over it and it seems to be the way I remember things.