Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mon Maquis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
Trying to promote her almost anywhere is totally pointless.
Remember she doesn't play live or have concerts anywhere so the chances of her playing in the US are nil.
Until she sorts herself out and makes a decision if she actually wants a career or not there is nothing anyone on this Forum or anywhere else can do that will make the slightest difference.

Well Lefty, Im just trying point out what others did in the past and what people are doing on this forum right now. I remember the good old days when it was fun and Im sure a lot of older members remember those times. What I am trying to point out is that, we USED to go out and do things and make things happen. Getting a DJ was fun watchin people people dance to Alizee songs. It was not just about promotion, it was fun to just get out and do things. Now those things have stopped. No one really does anything any more other then Scruffy. He tries to just get the word out there to get new fans and to let others find Alizee.

On the other had what I am saying is that Alizee does not respect her fans who work hard for her (why has she not gone back to Mexico). I learned that and I think a lot of other older fans learned that really quick. There is nothing wrong with doing your own promotions, but if you expect Alizee to back you, you can just forget about that. Like Junkmale said, Alizee has to be the one who wants to do it. We learned that when we had a TV show for Alizee to appear on in the US. It was a show dedicated to her and her music...What artist would turn that down ??? I'm not telling anyone to not do there own promotions, Im just saying if you land something big, you better make sure she has your back.

So FALL, the stuff we did for other artists that worked...it would have worked for Alizee too. They worked because the artists had our back. I have a full time job. I dont just sit around used to work on Alizee promotions all day. I would just write and email or call something...that takes what...10 minutes of my time ? My and AC Mix... were a 1 man show most of the time. So you dont need a team. You just need google and some good ideas to make things happen.

And Lefty, yes I did say things the past about Alizee. I said these things so other people would see the things that happened in the past and not get hurt themselves. Like I just said above....if I would have known ahead of time Alizee did not have our backs, then I would not have promoted her in such way like TV shows...it would have be other methods where it did not need her support to back us. So for all future Alizee promoters out there...do it because you want to do it and watch people learn about Alizee. If there is enough buzz, maybe someday Alizee will change her mind. But for someone who calls her self an artist, I would think she would do free concerts on the streets because she loves to perform and sing songs, but it more of lets just do play back for everything and try to get by as a real artist....real artists enjoy performing in front of people and watching there faces...but I think until she changes her ways and performs HER OWN MUSIC, no one will take her serious.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

Imagine my surprise today, finding out that I'm an inferior fan. Personally, my job demands a lot of my time, and it takes a lot out of me physically and mentally. And it's not getting easier as time goes by. Count me out for hitting the road and doing any promotions. I'm not creative or artistic. I support her in my own little ways, and that's at the expense of getting enough sleep. But I'm totally fine with being the kind of fan I am and the ways I support her.

There are many more former fans than current ones, and that number will only grow. I'm sure one day I'll drift away as I have from so many activities in the past. I just hope that I don't end up turning my back on her.

To me it's about expectations. I don't expect anything from her, and I don't get disappointed. I don't expect anything from anyone else here. Hopefully people can get what they are looking for from the forum when they visit. I know I do.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:50 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

In the past, I've tried writing letters to magazines such as People, I've tried writing to radio and tv stations. I think this is the type of exposure that she needs to either get her music heard or her story told in this country. One of the biggest roadblocks I've run into especially with magazines like People is finding an address to e-mail them. I think they have so many people who want to e-mail them, that they don't want to make that info readily available. I had to finally resort to face book for one of the people who work there. Then you also have the fact that your e-mail might be blocked by a spam blocker and you have no way of knowing that.

But as far as getting her music played here, one thing that really hurts is the fact that her best music is over 10 years old and even though these song sound great, we also face the obstacle the songs didn't make much sense. They were just poorly written by MF from French into English. So those are 2 big obstacles right off the bat. Then you have the fact that most radio stations want current music.

I think what we really needed a couple of English songs on this last album to give us something current to work with, but we didn't get it because they had to focus on getting her French fans back and though the jury is still out, that's not looking good at this point.

As far as passing out flyers or sample cds, I think this will only pick up a fan here or there. One of the biggest obstacles I've faced with trying to give away sample dvds I've made is when you try and "give" it away, so many people are reluctant to take it because they think there is some catch to it.

I liked the idea that was mentioned of going to a radio stations and hopefully finding someone to talk to, but I think that might be a little more difficult with larger stations in the city as opposed to more rural stations. Still it's something I'll have to give some thought to.

Now as I said, I was disappointed this last album didn't have any English songs. I would have had new stuff to work with, but because I was so busy, it took me a while to realize at least I have new French music to work with so now I'm rushing to try and find French music stations in this country and Canada to send her music to. Now I've tried looking in the New Orleans area, but they seem to mostly cater to Cajon or Creole music. So I'm now concentrating on the Montreal/ Quebec area. I e-mailed about a half dozen stations the other day, offering to send them a copy of 5 and one of MCE which I recently purchased. Hopefully I'll hear something this week.

One roadblock I just thought yesterday might pop up is a customs declaration has to be filled out when you ship something to Canada and if they have to pay some type of fee for a package I send them, they might not be willing to do this. But if I get a response from them, I will try to negoatiate a way around that.

The thing we need most in this country to effectively promote her is like I said, recent English songs and/or her to make an appearence here. If she would come to New York or L.A., I'm sure there would be a number of shows that would love to have her on as a guest. We with out her and with out recent English songs I think have an almost impossible task of promoting her here. But what I'm hoping might happen is to get her music played by one station in a section of this country or Canada that has a French speaking population, then the possible upside to that is huge. If the French speaking populace hears her music, then the Enlish speaking populace will hear her music too and word will spread, so that's what I'm actively working on. I have about 8 copies of 5 (unautographed) and MCE which I recently purchased that I will ship out as soon as I hear something. Will I hear back? To tell you the truth I'm not optimistic. I think these stations will think I'm crazy, but I will keep trying.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:21 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Perhaps Alizee might have a chance in this place in NY called Drom. Zaz and Nolwenn Leroy have performed there in the past couple of years. Nolwenn even performed at a locat tv station there. If they receive enough request from us, may be they would invite her as well.

Here is their website: Http://www.dromnyc.com/

Nolwenn's tv performance

PS: How do you embed YT videos now? I remember it got chenged but forgot how.

Last edited by Jake04; 07-06-2013 at 05:11 AM..
Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 AM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake04 View Post
http://youtu.be/SnYnkeVt1g8?t=32s

PS: How do you embed YT videos now? I remember it got chenged but forgot how.
Post the regular URL from the address bar, not the short URL from under the "Share" tab.

Nice song, BTW. http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...postcount=4498 I've been listening to a lot of Mike Oldfield lately.

Last edited by DrSmith; 07-06-2013 at 05:12 AM..
Old 07-06-2013, 05:12 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

^ Thanks, DrSmith!
Old 07-06-2013, 06:52 AM
Mélodie de vie, c'est l'odyssée!

Marka is on a distinguished road

From what I've read here, the main problem with us trying to help Alizée and our fandom seems to be herself. I think that she simply doesn't know nor understand, what kind of fans she has, and I do believe that she doesn't really understand the point of being a fan of her in these times, or being a member of AAm, for that matter.

What I propose is, that we write her a "letter", and by that I mean something big. I propose that we, as a forum, come up with say two pages of text, in English, where we explain to her who we are, what we like on her and what we dislike, ... something on the more serious side, not the typical "we love you, Alizée" stuff, although we should make sure that she gets the idea correctly and that she won't be appalled.
After these two pages, I propose that we add our signatures (they can also be handwritten, at one's choice). There should be as many signatures as possible, we can collect them on other forums too, or elsewhere...

And after this "official" message in behalf of all members and after all the signatures, we can also append other, more special and/or personal messages to her. I propose that we put everything into one PDF file, then put it online and make sure that she gets it, and that her label gets it also.

The PDF should be as long as possible, that she'll see that she received something serious. Overwhelming her in this case might actually be a good idea.

-----------------------------
This is just an idea. Otherwise, I stick to what lefty said in his post here.

By the owner, the dog is respected. (Corsican Proverb)
Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
And after this "official" message in behalf of all members and after all the signatures, we can also append other, more special and/or personal messages to her. I propose that we put everything into one PDF file, then put it online and make sure that she gets it, and that her label gets it also.

The PDF should be as long as possible, that she'll see that she received something serious. Overwhelming her in this case might actually be a good idea.
Marka, they have already tried that...What do you think her response was ?

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5062
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I think the climate in this country as far as people being willing to listen to songs in a foreign language is different than what it is in Mexico. I feel what worked there, wont work here, unless people get the full monty and what I mean by that is everyone in here could work 24/7 all year long, giving away cds, dvds; passing out flyers; writing radio stations and other parts of the media and chances are, it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

But if she came over here for let's say 48 hours, I'm sure Sony could easily arrange to get her a couple of appearences on shows like Letterman or Leno at night and a couple on day time; such as a show like Oprah and I think that's all it would take. I'm sure they'd show clips of JAM and ML but if she did sing a song or two, I think it would be a huge mistake to sing those songs. I think she'd be better off singing JVB or ACDLA or Les Collines. If she were to sing an English one, I'd rather it'd be Amelie but I'm wondering how her voice has changed with age concerning that song. I think if she did arrange appearences on a couple of shows like this, magazines would want to interview her too. Guys like Letterman or Leno would be foaming at the mouth to have such a beautiful woman on their shows.

I think her English is still very limited, but I think what they could do is set up the interview before hand and she will already know the questions and the answers. There are ways around any language barrier.

How much would that cost her and Sony? Two days in this country which could have a potential huge upside or do they continue to promote her in France where their efforts appear to be going nowhere?

She talked about the sharks in the U.S. What about her own countrymen?
She dumped them like a hot potato in 2004 with no word of if or when she was coming back. I think there were several reasons for her making that big mistake which I feel they should understand. 5 is not that bad an album. It should be doing better there, but it seems they refuse to understand and wont give her a break. So I think she should test the waters here and find out for herself whether it's safe to swim, because her options as a singer are quickly running out.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 07-06-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

It all comes back to Alizee and if she even wants to perform. She does not even perform concerts in her own country in her own language. If you don't even do that in your own home town, then I say the chances of her doing it anywhere else are very slim.

I will use Yelle for an example. She performs in her home town at little clubs almost every month. She does that to get the practice. She then comes to the US and does about 30 shows. All her songs are in French and not 1 English song. People still go to the concerts to hear French music. Some of the clubs she plays, like the one in Florida had about 100 people at the show, others have thousands. She performs to perform, it does not matter the size, its more about loving what she does. So for Katy Perry to make her an opening act shows that she people dont really care if it is French or in English. People are willing to listen to French music just to get a new experience.

I told Melissa Mars I will book a concert in Florida and she was willing to try it to just perform once in the US. It turns out that no one there really knew who she was, but they saw the posters around town and was the word "French" and wanted to try something different. Well she came and performed, but she performed the songs in English...the funny thing is people started yelling they want to hear her sing in French...so mid song, she changed to singing in French.

I think Alizee just needs to get out there and perform...whether its in France, Mexico or the US, you have to build a following by hitting the road and going from town to town to let people experience your music and to see what they are missing.

So these "Sharks" in the waters are everywhere...you just gotta know where to swim and how to swim around them.

I just think she wants the label "Artist" but really does not do anything to earn that title. That's fine if she does not want to perform. I get that, but there is a lot of "Artists" that do a lot more who deserve that title who write, play and perform there own song weekly for people. I think one of the problems is that it was all handed to her. MF, Jeremy, Chateau Marmont, Jean-Jacques Goldman, BB Brunes...all helped her, but doing things one your own and no one helping you, is another thing.

Last edited by Mon Maquis; 07-06-2013 at 09:34 AM..