Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 03-26-2017, 10:02 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road
Angry Terrorist attacks have cost Paris nearly $1 billion in tourism revenue

Islamist attacks have scared off thousands of tourists from Paris and its top attractions, helping rob the region of about 750 million euros ($850 million) in revenues, officials said on Tuesday.

Strikes and floods have also taken their toll, overshadowing the boost from the Euro 2016 soccer championships and leaving the tourism industry in need of massive new investment and a rescue package, they added.

"It's time to realize that the tourism sector is going through an industrial disaster," the head of the Paris region tourist board, Frederic Valletoux, said in a statement.

Visitors to the Arc de Triomphe fell more than a third in the first half of 2016 from the same period a year earlier, the board added.

The Grand Palais museum reported a 43.9 percent slump and the Palace of Versailles, outside the city, just short of 20 percent.

"Hotels are already laying off staff though they're not saying it. This industry is on its knees and it needs relief measures now. Hoteliers need the arms to fight back," Georges Panayotis, head of hotel research firm MKG group, told Reuters.

Full Story: terrorist-attacks-have-cost-paris-nearly-1-billion-in-tourism-revenue
Old 03-27-2017, 03:22 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
Islamist attacks have scared off thousands of tourists from Paris and its top attractions, helping rob the region of about 750 million euros ($850 million) in revenues, officials said on Tuesday.

Strikes and floods have also taken their toll, overshadowing the boost from the Euro 2016 soccer championships and leaving the tourism industry in need of massive new investment and a rescue package, they added.

"It's time to realize that the tourism sector is going through an industrial disaster," the head of the Paris region tourist board, Frederic Valletoux, said in a statement.

Visitors to the Arc de Triomphe fell more than a third in the first half of 2016 from the same period a year earlier, the board added.

The Grand Palais museum reported a 43.9 percent slump and the Palace of Versailles, outside the city, just short of 20 percent.

"Hotels are already laying off staff though they're not saying it. This industry is on its knees and it needs relief measures now. Hoteliers need the arms to fight back," Georges Panayotis, head of hotel research firm MKG group, told Reuters.

Full Story: terrorist-attacks-have-cost-paris-nearly-1-billion-in-tourism-revenue

Sounds like a good time to visit Paris when you can miss out on the crowds of tourists and pickup some discounts.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:00 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I've seen pretty much everything I want to see in Paris with only a couple of small exceptions. I've thought of going back there for a more relaxed visit, just enjoying the city, but I'm deeply disturbed by what I've heard has been going on there and in many other European cities, in and outside of France. If I go back there, I will pack something like a hammer or something similar or I will pick one up when I get there and if anyone gives me a hard time or they give anyone else around me a hard time, they will probably spend the rest of their lives on a vegetable farm if they are able to recover to that level. Needless to say, in that casse, I probably wont be coming home from France, but not for the reasons I had dreamed of!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:43 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Scruffy go to youtube an search Migrants and Paris.

The politicians in France brought this crap down on their people all by themselves. The people have no one to blame except for themselves by electing these useless idiots into Government.

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=migrants+in+paris
Old 03-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Thanks ALS. It's a shame what's happening in Europe. It's not just the individual governments that are responsible, but also the European Union that shares a huge part of that responsibility. Anybody who's been to my FB page knows how strongly I feel about the subject.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:21 AM
Fan since 2008

MelleValetta is on a distinguished road

I agree with you guys that it is the fault of the government and the European Union, but I do not have much to criticize because here in South America governments sucks too.
The least they should do is guarantee the welfare of the tourists, and if they could not do it then it will be much more difficult now.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:46 AM

Well from what I've read, the French economy wasn't doing well for years, but it has picked up in the past year. But can it not suffer the effect of losing all those tourist dollars, not to mention it pays money to these immigrants, at a point when they are doing little for the French economy? Time will tell.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Time to start visiting Prague and Warsaw as alternative European destinations.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:25 PM

kulli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Time to start visiting Prague and Warsaw as alternative European destinations.
Then down to Croatia's coast