Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 12-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

So I got to see the 3D Avatar today.

Have to say that the 3D effects are a bit overrated in my opinion... they were cool! But I don't feel that they were worth the extra 3 dollars. I mean, I wasn't really aware of the fact that it was 3D about 20 minutes into the movie.

But other than that, I found it to be a decent movie. Though, do all movies have these deeper political meanings? Am I now just old enough to realize this all, or is it just this one?

Old 12-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
Though, do all movies have these deeper political meanings? Am I now just old enough to realize this all, or is it just this one?
Not all, but a lot.

Thing is what came first, the situations it's commenting on or the story? As I mentioned, Avatar is pretty much the same as the novel "Dune". In Dune, a young prince is sent to a desert planet to mine "spice", the most valuable substance in the universe. He's driven into the wilderness where he meets and joins forces with the subjugated, environmentally conscious indigenous people called the Fremen. He's tutored in their ways and falls in love with a native girl. He proves his manhood by riding a wild beast (a sandworm), and eventually leads the people in a "holy jihad" uprising against their oppressors.

This was all written in 1965. And I'm sure it's not the first example of such a tale.

That's not to say James Cameron wasn't aware of the modern political meanings of his movie, I'm sure he was. And I think his simple black and white, good and evil portrayal of this is one of the film's weaker points. The sequels to Dune, for instance, show the "jihad" wasn't an entirely good thing, and that it's leader was far from perfect.

What I would have preferred to see in Avatar is a fuller examination of the body-swap technology. Why not draw more social parables there? I mean, what's the most common use of the word "avatar" in this day and age other than on forums like this one? I see the technology the characters use in the film as a kind of sci-fi extrapolation of where we're heading now with the internet and remote interaction. It's a very interesting idea.

And yeah, I agree... the 3D was nice, but by and large completely unnecessary.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Not all, but a lot.

Thing is what came first, the situations it's commenting on or the story? As I mentioned, Avatar is pretty much the same as the novel "Dune". In Dune, a young prince is sent to a desert planet to mine "spice", the most valuable substance in the universe. He's driven into the wilderness where he meets and joins forces with the subjugated, environmentally concious, indigenous people called the Fremen, who have a distinctly Arabic culture. He's tutored in their ways and falls in love with a native girl, has to prove his manhood by riding a wild beast (a sandworm), and eventually leads the people in a "holy jihad" uprising against their oppressors.

This was all written in 1965. And I'm sure it's not the first example of such a tale.

That's not to say James Cameron wasn't aware of the modern political meanings of his movie, I'm sure he was. And I think his simple black and white, good and evil portrayal of this is one of the film's weaker points. The sequels to Dune, for instance, show that the "jihad" wasn't an entirely good thing, and that it's leader was far from perfect.

What I would have preferred to see in Avatar is a fuller examination of the body-swap technology. Why not draw more social parables there? I mean, what's the most common use of the word "avatar" in this day and age other than on forums like this one? I see the technology the characters use in the film as a kind of sci-fi extrapolation of where we're heading now with the internet and remote interaction. It's a very interesting idea.

And yeah, I agree... the 3D was nice, but by and large completely unnecessary.
I was not aware of that... I mean, I had heard of Dune before, but I've never actually seen it.

But what came first was the situation. I mean that mineral they were after? I could see how it could be representing.. oh, oil?
The aggressive corporate guy? Any big oil company.
The hard nosed Lieutenant Colonel? US Military.

I agree on that it shows the "Jihad" as the perfect "good guys", and shows us(America), as being basically purely evil and selfish.

But now I feel I'm getting too political.. I think politics should just stay out of the forums.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Yes, in Dune "spice" = oil too, but long before our current political situation. And before oil there were probably similar stories dealing gold, water, land, whatever. So is art imitating life or life imitating art? Again I'm sure Cameron was aware of the current political implications, but he was also drawing on a pretty classic tale that's been around for ages. The fact that it happens to fit our current times could, in part, be because of the fact that history repeats itself and we've yet to learn from it.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:34 AM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Anything can have any meaning if one looks for it.

I can say, the Steamboat in front of the Southern Sweet Arizona Iced Tea is a hint to Southern Pride, therefore it's hinting at Confederate pride and slavery's proponency!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:33 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Just watched Ong Bak and it was fantastic. Tony Jaa is my hero xD.

Favorite part of the film has to be this screen cap though....

Old 12-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
Favorite part of the film has to be this screen cap though....
Que mon cœur lâche !

I just got back from seeing this, 10/10:

Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

I still have to watch District 9 and The Goods, I have District 9 on blue ray but haven't gotten the chance to watch it yet and The Goods I keep forgetting to pick up.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
I still have to watch District 9 and The Goods, I have District 9 on blue ray but haven't gotten the chance to watch it yet and The Goods I keep forgetting to pick up.
District 9 is really cool. I like it, it's a very good drama. It's funky and hard to follow at first but you catch on and it makes more and more sense as you go along. The main character is quite funny too, he talks and cusses in a funny accent Overall, not your average alien flick, it's better, because the mothership doesn't blow up NY, DC, or LA or whatever. It's original, it's unique (compared to other alien movies)
Old 12-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Merci Alizée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
District 9 is really cool. I like it, it's a very good drama. It's funky and hard to follow at first but you catch on and it makes more and more sense as you go along. The main character is quite funny too, he talks and cusses in a funny accent Overall, not your average alien flick, it's better, because the mothership doesn't blow up NY, DC, or LA or whatever. It's original, it's unique (compared to other alien movies)
Well you have made things easier for me. I was thinking which movie to watch. Now it will be District 9.