Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-17-2021, 02:19 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

AlizéeSuperFanFIN is on a distinguished road
Talking Finnish news articles about Alizée!

Finnish news articles about Alizée!

I’m not sure where this would belong, but since this is a historical news review, and I also asked for advice, I’ll put it here.

I wanted to open such a thread, because although there is not much news about Alizée here in Finland, but when there is sometimes, it is interesting and flattering!

In fact, I only find 2 articles. In the past, there were probably a little more of them, but they just can no longer be found on the Internet.

Anyway... I blame our journalists for not reporting more...

Well, but to that topic!

So I found one basic article from the early years that mostly told only the early years of Alizée. It came from the large Finnish channel MTV (MTV3).

But then an entertainment media magazine called Voice. News from 2011.

Reporters have given three song tips, and the title reads "The World's Sexiest Artist." One of the three has been awake!

And who and what it would be like Alizée and J'en Ai Marre!

https://www.voice.fi/musiikki/a-33961
Edit. Url: voice.fi/musiikki/a-33961 [I'm not allowed to post links yet.] [Now I can]

"French 26-year-old Alizée is a confusing revelation. She is extremely cute and neighborly. When the costume and dance choreography seen in the video are combined with that kind looking and innocent looking essence, the end result is confusing. Some other female artist could look like a cheap pushy wannabe in that, but Alizée manages to remain seductive with her cuteness. And after that, no one can argue that French is not a sexy language."

Alizée 💜

Last edited by AlizéeSuperFanFIN; 03-17-2021 at 02:46 PM..
Old 06-05-2021, 08:49 AM

Elise is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing that find. It’s nice that Alizée was written about there and I wonder if French music gets much airtime in Finland or perhaps in Alizée’s earlier career. What was the MTV3 article, does it say anything new maybe?
Old 06-05-2021, 02:44 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
Thank you for sharing that find. It’s nice that Alizée was written about there and I wonder if French music gets much airtime in Finland or perhaps in Alizée’s earlier career. What was the MTV3 article, does it say anything new maybe?
Thank you too!

MTV3 news only told of Alizée’s early years that a new star was born in France and so on.

This is the news: https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/alizee/2838930

It’s also noteworthy that the name was spelled a little wrong in that news once. Or it could be an editing error, so old news. And é mark is also missing, but it's pretty normal now.

Also, there have been some polls for the best summer song (Moi Lolita) etc in some media sometimes.

And indeed... There must have been a little more news at the time(?), but many news services archived them that they can no longer be found online, but MTV3 doesn’t archive them that much.

Unfortunately, it seems to be quite common that music other than in their own language and English music is not reported in many countries. Around the world...

For example, who in the West knows about some Chinese artists, even though their popularity can be huge?

I think the UK can be the same thing... And Alizée’s breakthrough there in Britain was a rare achievement then, and quite short?!

The same in Finland, it is also rare for someone to succeed in the UK, and the biggest achievement is probably this Bomfunk MC Freestyler!

What was the big news then because of its rarity...

Admittedly, the difference was that the song is in English. Alizée rose to French by singing on the British charts. Although French is, of course, a bigger language than Finnish, it makes it more natural - but still the success of foreign-language artists in English-speaking countries is often rare!

Alizée 💜
Old 06-05-2021, 10:00 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post

"French 26-year-old Alizée is a confusing revelation. She is extremely cute and neighborly. When the costume and dance choreography seen in the video are combined with that kind looking and innocent looking essence, the end result is confusing. Some other female artist could look like a cheap pushy wannabe in that, but Alizée manages to remain seductive with her cuteness. And after that, no one can argue that French is not a sexy language."
Someone I think in a Youtube comment said she combines cute and sexy. There's more to it than that I'm sure, in trying to explain what sets her apart.

Thanks for posting!
Old 06-06-2021, 10:24 AM

That got me wondering about the music scene in other countries. In Finland then, how much of the chart hits are Finnish music and how much other languages? In the UK yes English-language music (which often means American) is completely dominant. So I wonder how much American media influences popular music in Finland?
Old 06-06-2021, 11:44 AM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Red face

Yes, our own language also dominates music circles in Finland.

Most of the Finnish music, but some Finns sing in English, etc.

And then the best-known English-speaking artists that the media decides to make known.

Maybe 80% Finnish music
20% English music
0.5% music from other languages ​​...

There may be a bit of Swedish music, but not a lot of other music even in other neighboring countries.

In fact, only the Eurovision Song Contest shows more music from other countries momentarily every year, of course most also sing in English.

What a pity, for example, I love some Italian songs and artists, but few know anyone except something like Pavarotti.

Same for France, good and awesome language, but even Alizée is hard to know unless she can be found on YouTube.

Some kind of problem brings the dominance of the English language...

Alizée 💜
Old 06-07-2021, 10:27 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
That got me wondering about the music scene in other countries. In Finland then, how much of the chart hits are Finnish music and how much other languages? In the UK yes English-language music (which often means American) is completely dominant. So I wonder how much American media influences popular music in Finland?
Since you are from the UK and music came up as a topic, I was wondering how dominant is the rock scene there these days? I am old enough to remember the British Invasion and the tremendous talent coming out of the UK that became part of every young person's album collection in the U.S. (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. in the early days and then bands like the Ramones, The Police and countless others during the new wave days). It has been silent across the pond for quite some time except for larger commercialized acts.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeSuperFanFIN View Post
Yes, our own language also dominates music circles in Finland.

Most of the Finnish music, but some Finns sing in English, etc.

And then the best-known English-speaking artists that the media decides to make known.

Maybe 80% Finnish music
20% English music
0.5% music from other languages ​​...

There may be a bit of Swedish music, but not a lot of other music even in other neighboring countries.
This is really interesting. So the Finnish support their home grown artists?

We had a thread a while back about how the French have a taste for musical artists outside of their own country (except for the select few, such as Mylene) to the point where the government got involved and required that French music stations play at least 35% of their songs from French artists.

So, what are the most popular musical genres in Finland by Finnish artists?

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 06-07-2021 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 06-07-2021, 11:09 AM

Oof I’m not sure how much help I could give for this question. I followed the British music scene for only a short time - I got into it around 2013 and for some reason or other lost interest a couple of years later. I say yes for young people rock is popular, and rap also very much. But sorry, I don’t have much idea what is in the charts these days or the names of the new popular groups Brits listen to.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:44 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

Lightbulb

A little hard to say exactly about these genres...

In fact, Finland is now widely known for heavy metal music (eg Nightwish, Children of Bodom...), but Finns themselves like other types of music even more.

From traditional "classical rock", Schlager music (in Finnish: Iskelmämusiikki), pop and tango.

Why not also classical opera, etc.

Finland's best-known singers, such as [I mention my favorite] Tapio Rautavaara (also Olympic winner), Olavi Virta, Vesku Loiri, etc. And women Katri-Helena, Paula Koivuniemi etc., are the most popular musicians and popular in all age groups (their genre is usually Schlager / Pop), but due to their age group, of course, the most popular in the older generations, but they are also my own favorites, although I was practically not even born when they had a golden age.

We are also known for "war music", which is based on e.g. Winter War against the Soviet Union. Young people also like it because of history, although that music is hardly made anymore today.

The reason why heavy music can play a slightly smaller role than in the rest of the world is that if a Finnish band wants to succeed in the world, they almost have to sing in English.

And a large part of Finns still like Finnish music...

That is why perhaps even today a large number of Finnish artists sing in Finnish, including young people's favorites, even if young people understand English more easily... Because English is mainly sung if you want to succeed abroad. But as with the French, for example, the problem, however, is that foreign language artists generally do not succeed in the English-speaking world even if they sing in English. - "so why even try". (As Alizée and many others may have thought in their careers)...

Some Finns are now also successful in Germany, but of course you need to be able to speak German, which is generally much less fluent than English.

Nowadays, yes, young people get all the influences from the internet and also like rap, etc. However, it’s the kind of music that older age groups clearly don’t like.

Personally, I also don’t like it myself.

However, the popular Finnish rap differs slightly from the traditional "gangsta rap", which can have quite a few fans even among young people.

Conclusion: I think the “big formula”* is the same thing as in France and many countries. I once sent a news here that read that the French president was angry when the Frenchman spoke English.

*However, it is a big surprise if in France one has to “prevent” listening to English music too much, given how proud they are usually of their own language.

Today, however, France is also demanding more English, for example for schools.

So the new generations in particular like more and more English music, etc. Is that a problem, I don’t know...?

Alizée 💜
Old 06-08-2021, 02:45 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

The dominance of English in popular music is due to the fact that English has a technical advantage over other languages.

English, due to its extended vocabulary and its less strict grammar rules, is more "flexible"--- English can support a larger number of catchy melodies.