Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:11 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road
Default Give credit where credit is due

The point of this thread is to bring to the attention of all something that might be of importance to this and any forum, since it reflects respect among it's members and also reflects respect and appreciation from this community to others who contribute to the forum from outside of it. If the photos you post are not your own, post the names of those who have originally posted them or the source of your find. If the videos are not your own video captures post the names of those who have originally captured them or if you don't know post the names of those who have originally posted them, if it's something you picked up from another website or forum. Remember to always give credit where credit is due

Most of the time the only person that receives any credit is the person who post them at the forum, and then someone might take them somewhere else and he receives credit, and the same thing is done with everything, photos, videos, links, etc. A lot of forums don't care to enforce any type of restriction or rule as far as this goes, as long as they get the content they don't care where it comes from. Notice I'm not making reference to the copyright, these are two different things. I'm specifically making reference to those that deserve the credit of bringing us the original content in the form of purchased photos or in the form of capturing the videos, or simply making reference to others who have originally posted them.

I'll be the first to admit of doing this myself in the past, due to the poor guidance of some forums. I'm now trying not to do the same but to give credit where credit is due. Most english forums are getting a very bad rap at other foreign forums because of this, but it's not just the forums. A few others use hubs to share everything they find or steal from other forums and websites, and give credit to no one but themselves. Then they post it on various forums and when asked where they got it from they say they have connections... he he.

Those that have never paid for the purchase of pictures or have spent the time and money on software and hardware to capture an event on video, might think this is nonsense. A assure you it's not, it takes dedication, time and money to do this. Yet it's very easy for anyone to copy and paste anything and give credit to no one but themselves. But if it wasn't for these guys who originally provide us with these photos and who actually recorded and upload the videos for us, we might have never seen all the Alizée videos and photos.

I see videos on youtube with website watermarks that I know for a fact were not captured by them. Not only do they not give credit to the original capturer or the artist if it's an official video, but they also give the credit to themselves. And then they might try to bully others into thinking they're better and know best, because hey they have connections. If you think it's ok, think again. I can tell you that some are already feeling the effects of this, since they're starting to get banned from official forums for doing exactly this. I hope no one is offended by this, it's not my intention to embarrass anyone yet.

Feel free to post your opinion on the subject ;-)

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Big fan of SooYoung and IU

Lucian_RO is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to give proper credit on some other forums but I'm finding it impossible to do it unless I see a watermark on a picture or video. Even then it's not certain that the first owner of the video or picture put the watermark there. Let's say that for videos it would be much easier to know who captured them, since you can't find 100 versions of the same video from many uploaders, but for pictures it's much more difficult. Sometimes you can just give credit to someone who gave you the files directly. I have no respect for those who falsely state they're the owners of the original media just to have 10000 people thank them.

For videos the watermark works very well, unless it's too opaque and covers a part of the picture, but if you put it in a corner it shouldn't be a problem. I think it would be a good idea that everyone encodes their videos with their name in a logo before making them public, but I personally hate logos on static pictures.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:47 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

It's about the ARTIST, if you post something on a public site expect it to be shared. Does it really matter if you get credit for something as long as it's actually helping the artist out? Does it really matter if you were the one who recorded it off your TV?

You're sharing something to share it and promote the artist, not to get some sort of recognition.

Regards,

Jung

Old 03-12-2010, 02:24 AM

AceTone is on a distinguished road

Don't you hate it when someone claims someone else's work as their own?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Corrupt mods? No way!

HelixSix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTone View Post
Yep. That's why I put my name on the signatures I make these days since I found some guy in mexico using one I made a couple years ago.

And Jung that is a huge assumption that people are sharing these things to promote the artist and not receive recognition. Maybe you do it only for the artist but most people want recognition for what they did. And you still aren't accounting for somebody ripping off your work and claiming it as their own. I doubt you wouldn't care at least a little about that.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:45 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Whenever I give somebody credit, I'll be sure to give you credit for suggesting we should give credit.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 AM
International Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian_RO View Post
I've been trying to give proper credit on some other forums but I'm finding it impossible to do it unless I see a watermark on a picture or video. Even then it's not certain that the first owner of the video or picture put the watermark there. Let's say that for videos it would be much easier to know who captured them, since you can't find 100 versions of the same video from many uploaders, but for pictures it's much more difficult. Sometimes you can just give credit to someone who gave you the files directly. I have no respect for those who falsely state they're the owners of the original media just to have 10000 people thank them.

For videos the watermark works very well, unless it's too opaque and covers a part of the picture, but if you put it in a corner it shouldn't be a problem. I think it would be a good idea that everyone encodes their videos with their name in a logo before making them public, but I personally hate logos on static pictures.
Thanks for posting your opinion on the subject Lucian_RO :-)

Your point is quite understandable. It's quite ok if you don't know who the original up-loader is, a simple I found this in this forum or webpage, or it was posted by so and so is sufficient. Of course if you embed a video from youtube you most likely won't know it's origin unless it clearly indicates or it's official. I too hate watermarks and logos on photos and videos pretty much everyone does, but there's a reason for this and the reason as you mentioned is for trying to preserve some kind of indication as to where it originated from.

The problem is that some who do know where the content comes from don't bother to indicate, and have even taken content from official forums and websites. All in an effort to make themselves look more resourceful and knowledgeable. I could post examples of this as to make sure everyone understands the point, but I don't wish to start any kind of dispute, that's not the purpose of this message. Besides I think for the most part we've all done this at one point or another.

Keep in mind that if you bring content to this or any forum, no matter where it comes from you will still be appreciated for bringing it to us ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
It's about the ARTIST, if you post something on a public site expect it to be shared. Does it really matter if you get credit for something as long as it's actually helping the artist out? Does it really matter if you were the one who recorded it off your TV?

You're sharing something to share it and promote the artist, not to get some sort of recognition.

Regards,

Jung
Really ?? Is that why some are being banned from official forums ?? Think again, it's about respect not only for the artists content, but also for those that work hard to bring the content to share and promote the artist they love. All it takes is a little simple addition to your post indicating it's origin. Of course there's a reason why some people don't do this ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTone View Post
Yes, unfortunately some of the original up-loaders are getting fed-up with the little respect and appreciation they receive. Rozebud had his server hacked twice, Exoduss had a new member post a slew of his videos for download at MFI with the file names changed as to not give him any credit, and Spirit has deleted one of his websites...

Last edited by Jess; 03-12-2010 at 03:43 AM..
Old 03-12-2010, 08:24 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelixSix View Post
And you still aren't accounting for somebody ripping off your work and claiming it as their own. I doubt you wouldn't care at least a little about that.
As far as I'm concerned it don't matter, so long as it's doing it's intended effect which is helping out the artist. Outside of that does it really matter? It is the Internet after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Really ?? Is that why some are being banned from official forums ??
Pretty much what it is. Let's see here's how it goes, said artist asks said person to take video from HER "official forum" (as you like to call it), said artists also asks said person to upload to youtube to put on her WEBSITE and other forum both of which happen to be run by said person. That is the simple part, now someone else gets a hair up his ass gets pissed off just because he pressed the record button. This new guy then goes on rant at other forum claiming to work for said artist, first person goes to said artist asks about second person and the artist has this to say..."He don't work for me." Now said artist goes and tells the second person to fuck off, which in turn pisses second person off even more so he goes banning first person from every site he is part of. So in the end her the second person is truly hurting the said artist by trying to restrict the first person from helping said artist just because he wants some recognition which is playing off of said artists fame. Correct where ever I happen to be wrong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Of course there's a reason why some people don't do this ;-)
Because it truly don't matter.

If one is gonna bitch and moan when someone else posts a video, they upload to a public site, to another public site, they just as well not upload it.

Regards,

Jung

Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

I don't know.. I mean, this is the internet, and everything just seems to come from everywhere.

I mean hell, I know things that I have no idea where I learned them from.

I think it'll be kind of unnecessary to do so, just don't claim it as your own?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 AM
International Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
Pretty much what it is. Let's see here's how it goes, said artist asks said person to take video from HER "official forum" (as you like to call it), said artists also asks said person to upload to youtube to put on her WEBSITE and other forum both of which happen to be run by said person. That is the simple part, now someone else gets a hair up his ass gets pissed off just because he pressed the record button. This new guy then goes on rant at other forum claiming to work for said artist, first person goes to said artist asks about second person and the artist has this to say..."He don't work for me." Now said artist goes and tells the second person to fuck off, which in turn pisses second person off even more so he goes banning first person from every site he is part of. So in the end her the second person is truly hurting the said artist by trying to restrict the first person from helping said artist just because he wants some recognition which is playing off of said artists fame. Correct where ever I happen to be wrong there.

Regards,

Jung
Ok, I'm assuming you consulted with this other person that you speak of and he approved your comments before you posted them, because this is about to get a lot more interesting ;-)

Some people, even after they've been explained that what they're doing is wrong, they still don't get it. That's a hell of a theory though very colorful, now we know what kind of excuse your other person has. I have no problem blowing this up, see you soon... like some time after work (same place).

By the way you know when it really matters, when people do whatever they can to look resourceful and try to bully others with their resources, and none of it is actually theirs... he he.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
I don't know.. I mean, this is the internet, and everything just seems to come from everywhere.

I mean hell, I know things that I have no idea where I learned them from.

I think it'll be kind of unnecessary to do so, just don't claim it as your own?
I fully understand that and I think everyone else does, the problem is that there are people who do know where some of the content comes from, because they take it from there. Instead of showing some respect by simply saying so, they try to portray themselves as the big shots they're not... and on top of all that they also fabricate stories now... a bientôt.

Closed Thread