Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre le français

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Here's my attempt at translation. It would probably make more sense if Chuck were to tell us what he said first that this is a response to.

The dimension of your message is a bit daunting. Usually, it's the French who natter on and manipulate concepts, and the Americans who act. [Hard to translate, but I think I get the basic idea. Obviously he doesn't know me. :-P][I assume you wrote something about doing some heavy duty promotion or the like, though you won't tell us. :-P]
If there are many fans like this where you come from, no doubt Alizée will end up going there to sing!!

Globally, for someone of another culture and so far from the action, I think that you have a good grasp of the situation. However, there are a few important clarifications that I would like to bring up if you are going to act quickly.

1)We don't know the level of Alizée's motivation to do tours and sing abroad.
There is a very typical development among the French that foriegners haven't a clue about; people search more and more for a quality of life, a happy domesticism, to the detriment of a professional career and the accumulation of riches and material goods. Specifically, I don't think that she has ambitions of grandeur and excessive success. She wants to be able to exercise her passion for music and live with that, without sacrificing what she is to her family, her daughter, her friends, her style of living...

2) Alizée is naturally someone who is secretive and reserved, even aloof. That is not a posture that she learned from Mylène.
Thus it is, she has great difficulty communicating with her fans in France; truthfully, she hasn't really communicated with them for quite some time. One could go on about this. I think she has a bit of a complex because she had to stop her studies very early, while most of the famous young singers of her generation (Camille, Nolwen Leroy, Emilie Simon, Pauline...) got their diplomas, are also authors, composers, sing a lot in English and have a good grasp of the language.
In this vein, there is a very interesting interview on YouTube ... on LCI with Yves Simon in three parts. I think in the universe of French music, one can not find two personalities more different than Yves Simon and Alizée.

Therefore, if the album is to have success in France, Alizée will first look to regain her public here, and I doubt that she is going to embark on an American adventure...risky.

If the album is a flop here, and that will probably mean that it was bad... [really not sure about that part] This is the end, My only friend, the end!! Alizée will not fight to the death. We saw that well with Psychédélices; nothing was done to try to save a scrap of a tour in France.
She would easily be able to end up the cover girl of a large French style or cosmetic company. I suspect she has already taken a part of their revenues. In France, in spite of the absence of current presence, she is still classed among the 10 or 12 most beautiful women in the world. The proof is that she still has a real notoriety and admirers.

If the album has little success at home, which seems rather likely even if it is good, (here Edie [Sedgewick] is totally unknown, Château Marmont ditto, it is the [financial] crisis in general, the crisis in the music sector in particular, Alizée the singer is not at all in fashion...) So, the foreign fans can hope that Alizée will look elsewhere for a new audience for her album. Further, following point 1) that I mentioned above, she may very well go there for the fun of it, to have experiences or satisfy a desire, without that necessarily bringing her money or notoriety.
To clarify some details that you brought up, I had just about wished for it, for her salvation and for the foreign fans, that Alizée slid a real song in English into her album. This would make more sense than the song in Spanish, but I doubt that Alizée would take the risk of disappointing her Mexican fans. So both... [It would help to have the context of knowing what you had said to him first.]

A word about the forum to avoid indiscretions.
I am not someone well thought of or influential at LillyTown because of my position toward Mylène.
It must be said, the forum is in the grip of nostalgia for the Gourmandises era, or even old fans of (forever fans of) Mylène Farmer. Thus, without Mylène, no success can be had... they would like to return to the golden age [of Alizée]!!! Still, it is astonishing to note that more than 60% of the members prefer the old Alizée!!!
One must especially say nothing against MF and keep a low profile. Some influential "fundamentalists" make up a corps to "torpedo" anyone bringing up a bit of contradiction. It's really all of France that I hate. There's a little "aristocracy" of the old times and of the "knowledge" that will not even respond to you because you are foreign and because you don't have the ability to bring anything of interest to the current conversation. [I must admit that I am somewhat guilty of that as well. When I read people posting things like, I hope Alizée does more of those dances, I feel like there is such a gulf between what new people know about Alizée and what I have learned that I don't even know where to begin. And, for me, so much has happened that is so emotionally charged. It is difficult to talk about certain things, especially because of how her career has gone. It would just end up being negative, as we can see from this whole post and I don't want to come off anti-Alizée or unnecessarily insult her by explaining why what we hoped for didn't happen. Even mentioning that possibility does that for people who are infatuated with Alizée. I remember being in the mesmerizing grip of her awesomeness. I can feel it again every time I go back and watch some videos or something. She gave it a shot and that is great. And eventually we will even get a new album.]
[Chuck, please translate your own part.]
While I'm quite ready to share, above all, don't ever utter this on the forum. OMG!!
Mylène gave Alizée everything on a silver platter, and this little ingrate abandoned her shabbily. That's the dogma of Lilly Town.

The forum is neither dynamic nor creative, but

BUT, if there is a leak, a bit of non-official first hand information, it's certain to show up here almost immediately.
I have the impression that with this experience, Alizée has learned to be wary of her own forums; one day she is praised to the sky like a goddess and the next day dragged through the mud like a whore...
If things are not going well, with the scorn and bitterness accumulated, that will end up as usual a blood bath worthy of a Napoleonic campaign... everyone tearing apart his neighbor with delight (it's really funny), to the final dissolution. [Hey just like happens at AF from time to time and probably here and in forums in general from what I've heard. It is sad though. ]

Suggestion 1: I am completely convinced of that. [Uh, what exactly?] I almost proposed a channel on YouTube compiling all the interesting creations, but ultimately I abandoned that. The Americans would be without doubt the best placed to create a "world" channel compiling all the English and Spanish translations from all the albums, video creations and/or high quality remixes.

Suggestion 2: This is rather contradictory. She has done that before for certain titles, with the translation problems you noted. The real fans always prefer the French version. That will represent a certain cost, of labor that is. Maybe you are right; there is perhaps a real opportunity for that type of album which would allow everyone to understand the lyrics.

Suggestion 3: mine lol
That which menaces Alizée the most in France is a lack of credibility due to the persistence of her Lolita image. She's a poor girl without any brains, just good for shaking her rear, remote controlled by MF like a marionette, incapable of really singing, not an author, not a musician, with songs for young girls... even her success abroad is completely denied.
And there, the American fans can intervene here in France to strengthen her credibility.
There are going to be articles on the net, with the possibility for Internet users to respond and post messages. The links will certainly be on Lilly Town.
It would be good if the fans could come and write a little message in English, to say simply that Alizée is a real musician, that they liked Psychédélices, and that they are waiting impatiently for the new album... 2 or 3, not more. There's no need to say that she is an angel, a goddess... nor ...

the rest later...

Good luck Alizée America with your enterprises,

Merci Fanny

Last edited by lefty12357; 09-16-2009 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Removed person's name by request.