Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
*coughcough* Army veterinarian.. little to no violence on my part.
I just realized. If you're an Army Veterinarian, when someone calls you a vet once you retire from the service, they would be calling you two different occupations without even knowing it.

Quote:
If you do ROTC, you'd be paying little to no money for school.
Little to no money, but wasting my time (I hate[d] school).
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
*coughcough* Army veterinarian.. little to no violence on my part.

If you do ROTC, you'd be paying little to no money for school.
No Wasabi that is not true. I almost joined an Air Force ROTC in college ... luckily my school only had army. You get stipend a bit but not nearly as much as you need. The only way you will pay little to no money is if you apply and get the ROTC scholarship which is very competitive and hard to get.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
No Wasabi that is not true. I almost joined an Air Force ROTC in college ... luckily my school only had army. You get stipend a bit but not nearly as much as you need. The only way you will pay little to no money is if you apply and get the ROTC scholarship which is very competitive and hard to get.
Did you contract?

Once you contact, you're granted a federal scholarship, which pays for tuition and room and board. It also gives you a couple hundred dollars for books every semester, as well as a monthly stipend.

By ROTC scholarship, you're thinking of the state tuition waiver, which if you don't contract, will have to reapply for each semester and compete for.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road

I was hurriedly editing this onto my last post, but I took so long that now i have to quote again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
EDIT ON:

Wasabi, they said you could put off your service? Well they're glad to get doctors, so the more training you get on you first, the better. And besides, you're obviously worth it! (Plus, all they have in all their animal facilities are more of those white dvms and nurses like you're already surrounded with.)

Must truly admit, if someone has to be in the military, they could do a lot worse than to follow wise Wasabi's words and examples.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 AM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Did you contract?

Once you contact, you're granted a federal scholarship, which pays for tuition and room and board. It also gives you a couple hundred dollars for books every semester, as well as a monthly stipend.

By ROTC scholarship, you're thinking of the state tuition waiver, which if you don't contract, will have to reapply for each semester and compete for.
Well like I said I didnt join but I was once at a stage where I was close to and from the information I acquired ... the stipend was very small. The only way, from what I read, to get an decent finical aid was to
A. Get the ROTC scholarship
B. Be a veteran and get a ride under the G.I. bill
C. Enlist while you are in school but college is and I quote "On your own time" which means almost impossible to do

Old 01-09-2012, 02:59 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Good lord this thread exploded.

Hate to break it to you FRA, but I don't actually have any intention of enlisting, more just curious as that's what I was told by a doctor about ten years ago and I was wondering if it was bullshit.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Good lord this thread exploded.

Hate to break it to you FRA, but I don't actually have any intention of enlisting, more just curious as that's what I was told by a doctor about ten years ago and I was wondering if it was bullshit.
Why do you hate to break it to me? I dont care if you dont enlist in fact I am actually happy.
Well from what is said, was it or was it not bullshit?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
EDIT ON:

Wasabi, they said you could put off your service? Well they're glad to get doctors, so the more training you get on you first, the better. And besides, you're obviously worth it! (Plus, all they have in all their animal facilities are more of those white dvms and nurses like you're already surrounded with.)

Must truly admit, if someone has to be in the military, they could do a lot worse than to follow wise Wasabi's words and examples.
Nope. I basically just dropped my contract the moment I got it. Like I said earlier, I just got too busy with my vet school prep and just didn't have time for ROTC. Had I gone kept my contract, then I would have to apply for an Education Delay in order to be able to go to vet school. But I've been working my butt off for vet school, so I figured why take the risk of being denied vet school, when I can commission through HPSP the moment I get into vet school? Seriously, I'll start off vet school as a 2LT, and when I graduate, I'll be promoted to CPT and given active duty! I drool at the idea.. *happy thoughts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Well like I said I didnt join but I was once at a stage where I was close to and from the information I acquired ... the stipend was very small. The only way, from what I read, to get an decent finical aid was to
A. Get the ROTC scholarship
B. Be a veteran and get a ride under the G.I. bill
C. Enlist while you are in school but college is and I quote "On your own time" which means almost impossible to do
Nah dude, B and C aren't necessary. I know many prior service who do ROTC, and there have been a couple cadets who have enlisted, but the vast majority just do the minimal ROTC and ride it out.

There's a difference between what you read, and what really happens.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Nope. I basically just dropped my contract the moment I got it. Like I said earlier, I just got too busy with my vet school prep and just didn't have time for ROTC. Had I gone kept my contract, then I would have to apply for an Education Delay in order to be able to go to vet school. But I've been working my butt off for vet school, so I figured why take the risk of being denied vet school, when I can commission through HPSP the moment I get into vet school? Seriously, I'll start off vet school as a 2LT, and when I graduate, I'll be promoted to CPT and given active duty! I drool at the idea.. *happy thoughts*

Nah dude, B and C aren't necessary. I know many prior service who do ROTC, and there have been a couple cadets who have enlisted, but the vast majority just do the minimal ROTC and ride it out.

There's a difference between what you read, and what really happens.
Then those bastards BSed me LOL wouldn't be the first time and surely wont be the last!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:20 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Once again, thanks to everyone for their advice. I've certainly got a lot more to chew on now. Better and easier to think it through now than a few weeks into training. If I come up with any more questions, I now know who to ask.