Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

Stereo means different instruments come from different channels, or speakers. For example, vocals might be isolated to one speaker and guitar in another. In a mono mix, all instruments are in both speakers. The audio goes through a single channel.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
one more question for you puff, its another one of my silly ones . what's the difference between mono and stereo when it comes to these discs or any?
technically, mono refers to all the sound being piped through one channel.

Most cheap radios and cell-phone speakers are mono, thus giving a really flat and lame sound with no distinctive qualities.

Stereo is the best thing. Say you are in a crowded room, you hear somebody on your left sneeze, behind you laugh, in front of you say an obnoxious joke. That's stereo.

Where you can distinctively identify "oh, that's a guitar and I can hear it in my left ear. Oh, that's the percussion coming in my right. Oh, that's the vocals, they sound like they are in front of me.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

The thing with the Beatles sets though is that many of their albums were originally mixed in mono, so some consider that the way to hear them. However, I'm picking up the stereo set because a few of the later albums aren't included in the mono box and I can't afford both!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Man Among Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
technically, mono refers to all the sound being piped through one channel.

Most cheap radios and cell-phone speakers are mono, thus giving a really flat and lame sound with no distinctive qualities.

Stereo is the best thing. Say you are in a crowded room, you hear somebody on your left sneeze, behind you laugh, in front of you say an obnoxious joke. That's stereo.

Where you can distinctively identify "oh, that's a guitar and I can hear it in my left ear. Oh, that's the percussion coming in my right. Oh, that's the vocals, they sound like they are in front of me.
For modern music, stereo is of course the norm. But for older music, mono can sound better and punchier. For example, the early Beatles albums were recorded on 2-track recorders. Therefore, in stereo, all the music is in one speaker, vocals are on the other. That's it, since only 2 tracks were recorded. While this does sound very good, the mono mixes of these albums have more bite. The just 'rock' more.

Ben is correct when he said many Beatles albums were mixed in mono. In fact, every album up until The White Album was mixed for mono. The band themselves supervised these mixes and have a lot of input into how they sounded. Back in the 60's, most people still had mono stereos so the band took the time to get their albums to sound the best on the equipment most people would be listening to them on.

Besides that, there are quite a few differences between stereo and mono versions of the same songs. Differences in length, some different instrumentation and such.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Looking through a glass onion.

Amigo! is on a distinguished road

Heh

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/09/08...tles-surprise/
Old 09-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Man Among Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo! View Post
Maybe it's because i'm a record geek, but i could never pay for music on iTunes because i need a physical product. A CD to hold....artwork to admire. Besides, the sound quality of iTunes downloads, while quite good to most people, is not as good as from the source disc. Audioholics like myself will continue cluttering their homes with CDs.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Looking through a glass onion.

Amigo! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffyrock2 View Post
Maybe it's because i'm a record geek, but i could never pay for music on iTunes because i need a physical product. A CD to hold....artwork to admire.
Yeah, I like to actually have a real CD to hold in my hands most of the time. The only exception I make is when I only want maybe one or two songs from an album
Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Will iTunes get stereo, mono, or both?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Man Among Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Will iTunes get stereo, mono, or both?
It may be a false alarm. No Beatles music is on iTunes and may never be. EMI Records has something against digital downloads. Yoko Ono claims the catalogue will be available on iTunes soon, but who knows.

Last edited by puffyrock2; 09-08-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 PM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Default I'm with Puffy!

I totally agree with Puffyrock, I still need the physical product. The solid CD. You can read the lyrics & notes, look at pics, maybe there's a foldout poster. Besides, in the past, I'd lost a lot of mp3 files from hard drive death.

Or vinyl, it's been making a comeback, right? Anybody else here collect LP's besides me? I've got about 1000, some guys I know have 2-4000 or more. Vinyl, anyone?

Heyyyy, should they maybe do a 12" version of the new record coming out?

Oh yeah, re: Beatles. Lotsa rights issues to work out before anything could ever be online there-- mostly because there are so many owners of the Beatles catalog. Including the Michael Jackson estate. It may take several decades, I think.

Last edited by Chuck; 09-08-2009 at 11:03 PM..