Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 PM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
My Day:

Life is good.
I can't even name that food but it looks hmm... a bit strange for me-European But probably they taste delicious.

And to add something,
I'm still happy that we beat those French in volleyball and we are European Champions (We don't have our exact copy of Lily in Poland, so we must be happy at least when we can be better than French in something other)
Old 09-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss_pl View Post
I can't even name that food but it looks hmm... a bit strange for me-European But probably they taste delicious.

And to add something,
I'm still happy that we beat those French in volleyball and we are European Champions (We don't have our exact copy of Lily in Poland, so we must be happy at least when we can be better than French in something other)
KBBQ, you have to try it sometime.
Just go all out, order everything on the menu, invite friends, and have fun cooking the meats and vegetables that come in raw.
Also Naeng Myeon, cold noodles is better, as you can see some floating ice in the bowl, you'd be surprised at its treat.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

yea.. but some korean food is screwed up.

there is this one spicy octopus soup, which is fine if it was served normally.. but koreans like to spice things up, so when you order the soup, it comes all prepared, BUT without the octopus. which is brought out later, once the soup is placed on flame to get back to a boil, then the octopus is thrown into the boiling soup... alive.

that's just plain messed up.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Faded into Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
yea.. but some korean food is screwed up.

there is this one spicy octopus soup, which is fine if it was served normally.. but koreans like to spice things up, so when you order the soup, it comes all prepared, BUT without the octopus. which is brought out later, once the soup is placed on flame to get back to a boil, then the octopus is thrown into the boiling soup... alive.

that's just plain messed up.
I'm sorry but I hate Cephalopods.
I can not stand looking at them, I cannot stand eating them.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

yeah, im not a big seafood fan either, but im just saying!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Each country has its own unique cuisine (lovely word from French). And food from our country could seem veery strange for other people in other countries. But new experiences with foreign cuisines are good
I heard/saw in TV that in Far-Eastern Asia they're eating lot of various seafood, is it true?

In Poland we're eating very much meat: mainly pork and beef (veal), but also chickens. Ya it's rather normal. But we're eating also (hard for me to write that in English, I don't know proper words, but I try) cow's (rather from young ones: you call it veal?) offal: livers, kidneys, lungs, hearts, stomachs, tongues. e.g. Pork tongue is real delicacy. We eat nearly whole cow and pig. We are making soup from cow/pig's "parts of stomach" (really have no idea, check wiki).

We're also eating soup from beetroots, sauerkraut, and as our main vegatable - potato. We're also eating pierogi(no english term for that) and Kluski (kind of dumplings)
And many more things that could be strange for foreigners
Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Since the USA is mostly a country of immigrants, many different people brought their cuisines with them. They have melded together somewhat over the years. In my area for instance, pierogi is fairly well known, but not everybody eats them.

The "parts of stomach" you mention is probably what we call Tripe. I don't think it's too common here anymore. I've never eaten tripe. My ancestors on my father's side of the family came from Norway and Sweden. My father always loved to eat Lutefisk and Lefse. I don't like lutefisk.

Of course Minnesota is home to everyone's favorite, Spam ! ! ! Although Hawaiians eat more spam than anybody...
Old 09-18-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Since the USA is mostly a country of immigrants, many different people brought their cuisines with them. They have melded together somewhat over the years. In my area for instance, pierogi is fairly well known, but not everybody eats them.
Yes, America is country of immigrants. All bring their own cuisines, recipes are mixing and new dishes are being created. Of course there are parts where more popular is Spanish cuisine and parts where Eastern Europe has bigger influence.

Uhm...
My day wasn't too good

There was a catastrophe in coal mine in Poland, just few kilometers from my city - Methane exploded.
12 miners died,
41 are injured, 18 of them badly
BBC
Old 09-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Faded into Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post

The "parts of stomach" you mention is probably what we call Tripe. I don't think it's too common here anymore. I've never eaten tripe. My ancestors on my father's side of the family came from Norway and Sweden. My father always loved to eat Lutefisk and Lefse. I don't like lutefisk.

Of course Minnesota is home to everyone's favorite, Spam ! ! ! Although Hawaiians eat more spam than anybody...
Yep. USA cuisine is actually a blend of many cuisines together.
Panda Express is a really multi-influenced form of Asian based cuisine, it's not how it is originally, but over the years it's got influence from almost everything else.
I don't like Panda Express.

I guess you can say the closest to pure American cuisine is at its heart, native American or Mexican food. Just my centage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss_pl View Post
Each country has its own unique cuisine (lovely word from French). And food from our country could seem veery strange for other people in other countries. But new experiences with foreign cuisines are good
I heard/saw in TV that in Far-Eastern Asia they're eating lot of various seafood, is it true?

In Poland we're eating very much meat: mainly pork and beef (veal), but also chickens. Ya it's rather normal. But we're eating also (hard for me to write that in English, I don't know proper words, but I try) cow's (rather from young ones: you call it veal?) offal: livers, kidneys, lungs, hearts, stomachs, tongues. e.g. Pork tongue is real delicacy. We eat nearly whole cow and pig. We are making soup from cow/pig's "parts of stomach" (really have no idea, check wiki).

We're also eating soup from beetroots, sauerkraut, and as our main vegatable - potato. We're also eating pierogi(no english term for that) and Kluski (kind of dumplings)
And many more things that could be strange for foreigners
Yeah, I like seafood but it's a hit or miss for me.
Japan is renowned for many forms of seafood, ranging from its internationally famed Sushi to other things such as the stuff they put in the sushi, Unagi, Eel, Octopus, Squid, Mackerel, Salmon, the works.
I'm a big red and white meat fan as well, chicken and beef form 40% of my daily menu. Japan knows how to prepare mean meats as well as seafood. Come back to me after you've had a dosage of Teriyaki Kobe Beef.

South Korea's form of sushi is kimbap, it's slightly different but the concept is the same.
Another thing in Korean cuisine I love is 매운탕 or Maeuntang, a hot and spicy fish soup.
Also if you've had a rough night with lots of drinks, you're going to be pissed as hell the next morning, so try some Korean 해장국 or Haejangguk, it's a nice little stew that helps relieves hangovers, but I probably shouldn't tell you what's in it. Teehee.

Mandarin, Szechuan, and Peking foods make the majority of what you know as Chinese food.
The variety in this is incredible, and all three make Chinese food probably my favorite. Don't settle for fusion or those overtly commercialized places, find a little junkhole off to the side with bad English translations, and you might just find the greatest taste in the world.
Salted Porkchops, Lobsters, Crab Legs, Chicken with Black Bean sauce, Bok Choy, Moo Goo Gai Pan, C. Chop Suey, the list goes on and on with the different Chinese cuisines that represent each region.

My day will comprise of a concert.
Sonata Arctica concert.