Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Finally got a .308 die set today. Got the last one, but they were all out of .30-30. They also had a pretty dismal bullet selection. They had no 75 gr .224 so I got some Hornady V-Max 80gr instead. We'll see how that works in it. They also had no books on reloading except for 1 shot shell guide.

For my first load of .308, I got 168gr Sierra Matchking. I'm going to use some old Remington brass I shot already, and I'll load that up with the Varget. For the next batch, I may try a little heavier bullet weight.

I did notice that they got a shipment of Hornady Steel-Match 75gr .223, which they never had before. Usually the highest grain I saw there was 55. I was going to buy it, but I already have some handloads, plus I got a big ammo box of 62 gr Federal a while back.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:08 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the Weatherby has a 1-12 twist rate, so the Heavy bullets are hard to stablize. Can always see what will happen though, some rifles shoot a certain bullet better than others xD. One of the best bullets you can get is a 155 scenar, if you can find them anyway . I have rather good luck running 150 SST's in my PTR and Cetme, which I'll happily use for hunting. Those two only get 150 gr. bullets loaded close to mil-spec loading. The Remington seems to like the 168 gr. Bergers or A-max.

Regards,

Jung

Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 AM

I was looking around the internet, and some people had good luck with 175 grains through a 1-12. I don't think I'd go higher than that. When I first got my Weatherby, all I shot it with was 150gr Remington Core-Lokt. The pattern was decent, but I want to get it tighter.

I'd do more experimenting if I had a range to go to that's closer by, but with the amount of times I can actually get out to the range, it gets difficult.

Actually, there's a slight chance me and a friend will go tomorrow. It all depends on his schedule though. If we do, I'll make sure to get that target posted on here.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
I was looking around the internet, and some people had good luck with 175 grains through a 1-12. I don't think I'd go higher than that. When I first got my Weatherby, all I shot it with was 150gr Remington Core-Lokt. The pattern was decent, but I want to get it tighter.

I'd do more experimenting if I had a range to go to that's closer by, but with the amount of times I can actually get out to the range, it gets difficult.

Actually, there's a slight chance me and a friend will go tomorrow. It all depends on his schedule though. If we do, I'll make sure to get that target posted on here.
175 is the heaviest I'd go too, I've tried 180s but I guess they will probably sit on the shelf for quite some time now, or until I decide the .300 win mag can shoot something other than 230 gr. again xD.

That is what's nice about having a 100 yard range in my back yard lol. Comes in handy for testing my handloads and working something up. go straight from the bench to the tumbler into the rifle and down range. it's a thing of beauty.

Regards,

Jung

Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
That is what's nice about having a 100 yard range in my back yard lol. Comes in handy for testing my handloads and working something up. go straight from the bench to the tumbler into the rifle and down range. it's a thing of beauty.
When I'm going to buy my first house, that's going to be one of the criteria: A "backyard shooting range." I can only imagine how great that must be...
Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

It is quite handy specially for loading I can leave everything set up and test, come back in load a couple more, test and so forth

Regards,

Jung

Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Hey TDA, since you like scopes on pistols so much:

Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

That bottom one is not a derringer, false advertisement xD

Regards,

Jung

Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM

Looks like a .22 mag, not a .22 lr. But I'm no expert on these. (I don't care for .22 revolvers.)

Personally, I don't see the point of those. They're fun little trinkets that I wouldn't trust my life to. In a high stress situation, I don't think the person would be able to get a grip on it.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 02-21-2012 at 08:16 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

I believe they come with a cylinder for both, I don't know that I'd buy one either simply cause my J-Frame carries so well, and is a .38 special xD. modern rimfires don't seem to have the quality control of the old days unless you spend some good cash for them. Remington subsonics is about the best bang for the buck I've found either that or anything from CCI. never had a round not fire from those lines, Remingtons cheaper stuff sucks though.

Regards,

Jung