Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Went to the range yesterday. Weather was amazing (got up to 68 degrees) albeit very very windy, and we had it all to ourselves (although I have not met one rude or disrespectful person there). Brought my Sig, Weatherby and the new Savage. Of the three, my Sig was shooting the best. I was unable to bring any handloaded .308 (I ended up losing a spring on the press for the primer as I was changing them out to load the large rifle primers (but I did end up finding it after I got back...)), but I did have my .223 handloads, plus some 62 gr 5.56 I wanted to test through it. The Savage was pretty accurate but the sights are a little off. I'll have to see if I can adjust them later. I also ended up taking the scope off as I wasn't even hitting the target, or the target holder.

As for that contest, I totally forgot about it and was shooting in 3 shot groups (as I normally do), so they don't qualify for that, but it was still probably the best I ever shot with my Sig.

This is with 62 gr Federal I picked up at Gander Mountain at 100 yds, sitting with a bipod and a 1-4x Nikon scope. (plus a pretty wicked wind, as in it threw my hardcover case on to the range...)

The shots on the outer rim of the target was me adjusting the scope, as I had it set for the 75 gr earlier.

This is 75 gr Hornady Match BTHP with 24.7 gr of Hogdon Varget, same conditions as above.

(I was a little off on the bottom right corner, and I threw one of the shots)

Next time, I got some 80 gr Hornady A-max I'm going to try out, though I definitely will pick up some more 75's. I also got 168gr Sierra Match King's for the .308, and I might pick up some 175 to run through it as well.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 03-07-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Those are very respectable groupings out of a battle rifle. As for sighting in the scope did you run out of windage and elevation or just weren't on paper at all? I usually start at 25 when sighting in a scope even if it was bore sighted. Can get the windage close than and the elevation in the right area. Good shooting though bud.

Have you thought about a hand priming mechanism? I rather prefer to use them over the press one.

Regards,

Jung

Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 AM

It was to the point where I wasn't even hitting the paper, or target or anywhere near where I could tell where I was hitting. I was also sighting (at least trying to) it in at 100, though, so next time I might put it back on and head down to the short range.

As for the primer press spring, I did end up finding it... about 10 minutes before I left for the range. It ended up bouncing up and landed on my ammo box, which I discovered as I was going to take the ammo out of the box. I did consider a hand priming tool, but since I found the spring, I'm probably going to wait on that.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Edit:

WF... Not all of the shots were kill shots... but they are pretty damn good for the range and winds! The type of ammo you were using is better for defense though, not for shooting at anything live from 100 yards... I suppose it's good for recreation though. But, depending on the type of game you were going after you wouldn't kill anything from that range unless they sat still enough for you to quickly group in 5 shots... unless if you could hit a coyote a couple times from that range I'd be impressed... or a rabbit... in windy conditions... I'd be damn impressed.

Last edited by Taxi Driver Aaron; 03-10-2012 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi Driver Aaron View Post
WF... Not all of the shots were kill shots... but they are pretty damn good for the range and winds! The type of ammo you were using is better for defense though, not for shooting at anything live from 100 yards... I suppose it's good for recreation though. But, depending on the type of game you were going after you wouldn't kill anything from that range unless they sat still enough for you to quickly group in 5 shots... unless if you could hit a coyote a couple times from that range I'd be impressed... or a rabbit... in windy conditions... I'd be damn impressed.
I'd say they were all kill shots on a man sized target, if not at least a hit in center mass. I usually shoot off that basis, but the range I go to doesn't allow man shaped targets, so we shoot at whatever, but I'd say those were all definitely center mass hits, if not kill shots.

As for coyotes, I believe I read somewhere the kill zone is the size of your palm, in which all of the second target would have hit, and most of the first would have. But, I've never been hunting, so I cannot say for sure about that.

I'm actually going again on Tuesday, so I'll make sure to shoot in 5 shot groups this time.

Now, the question is, what guns to bring...

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 03-12-2012 at 05:05 AM..
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM

Totally forgot to post the results from that trip. They were subpar anyways, 80 gr's don't run well through the Sig. Plus, I had to load them one at a time into the chamber. The 168's were shooting pretty well, although there was always one stray shot in my most of groupings. If not for those, I'd say it was shooting sub-MOA.

Anyways, I've decided an M1 Carbine is going to be the next gun I buy. There's a gun store by the range I go to that has one for around $650.

They're so much fun...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
Anyways, I've decided an M1 Carbine is going to be the next gun I buy. There's a gun store by the range I go to that has one for around $650.
Well, I lied... I just could not pass this up.

My new rifle, which fulfilled one of my childhood dreams:

A 1944 Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 in .303 British, of course.

They say that these have the smoothest action of most if not all bolt action rifles... I can attest to that. Plus it shoots like a dream. I didn't get to shoot it a whole lot, since ammo is ridiculously expensive and limited around here. But what I did, it was pretty durn accurate for a 70 year old gun. That being said, it <strike>probably</strike> shoots better than I do.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

Thumbs up Well I just bought 3 new guns!

I have purchased three new guns... I am working on my 4th but it is a simple Glock 19 9MM for a backup gun ... reason why I want the glock 19 is because I need a new carry gun, and I think it will compliment one of my new guns as far as magazine compatibility!

All of my purchases were made online to avoid paying state gun purchase taxes so I don't have any of the guns in my possession yet.. I am still waiting for delivery... the anticipation is killing me!!!!

... anyway.. look what I got!

1911 Colt Gold Cup Trophy, .45 ACP

Kel-Tec Sub 2k 9MM (I plan to majorly upgrade this baby when it arrives, oh and it takes Glock 19 9MM magazines)...

And of course... the Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun (I can't wait to try the new dragon breathe ammo with this thing!!!)

Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

bump.... this thread is dying ...

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
Hey TDA, since you like scopes on pistols so much:

You're killin' me whitefeather!... you're killin me!...

Last edited by Taxi Driver Aaron; 07-28-2012 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 PM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

Psh...guns are lame.

I just keeding! I had a .22, but it was a tad boring to shoot. Everyone around me was like..."KERBOOM KERBOOM" then I shot and it was like..."pew pew".