Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi Driver Aaron View Post
What Type of Ammo do you guys use?....
Almost all handloads, still have lots of surplus for the 7.62x54 so they aren't handloads yet.

PTR and Cetme .308s get 150 gr. hornady sst or fmj
Remington .308 gets 168 gr. A-max or bergers
9mms get 115 or 124 gr fmj or XTP
.45s get 230 gr fmj or XTP
.357 4" gets 125 gr golden sabers or 158 xtp or gold dot or fmjs of either weight
.357 8" and lever action get either 158 gr. gold dots or 180 gr. XTP
.300 win mag gets 230 gr Bergers
.223 is either 65 gr speer soft points or 55 gr. fmj or v-max

Regards,

Jung

Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
Almost all handloads, still have lots of surplus for the 7.62x54 so they aren't handloads yet.

PTR and Cetme .308s get 150 gr. hornady sst or fmj
Remington .308 gets 168 gr. A-max or bergers
9mms get 115 or 124 gr fmj or XTP
.45s get 230 gr fmj or XTP
.357 4" gets 125 gr golden sabers or 158 xtp or gold dot or fmjs of either weight
.357 8" and lever action get either 158 gr. gold dots or 180 gr. XTP
.300 win mag gets 230 gr Bergers
.223 is either 65 gr speer soft points or 55 gr. fmj or v-max

Regards,
Jung
I am shopping for some .45 acp today... My normal place to buy right now is out of stock and on back order. So.... I am trying to find another good place where ammo is on sale for $0.40 or less per round while staying away from the russian ammo, even though Tula's are the least expensive. I'm afraid of how dirty they might be... and I may not get my money's worth if they cause ftf or fte which would make my day at the range more of a chore than a joyful experience.

I been looking at brands such as Federal or American Eagle.. my local stores have expensive stuff which kind of forces me to look online. paying $1+ for FMJ is highway robbery... I can find defensive ammo for less.

.223's are hard to come by cheap locally as well. online they have buckets for cheap.. I suppose I'll just have to experiment with some brands.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:38 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

-For 5.56 I use what the military does. M855 ball ammo. I also reload for the same rifle 75gr BTHP for more precision shooting.
-For .30-30, I use Federal 150gr, though I may start reloading that instead.
-.308 I load 168gr Sierra Match Kings
-.303 I load 174gr Hornady, but I also shoot Remington UMC if I didn't load any.
-.22 I shoot CCI Mini-Mags. I heard those run best through most semi-auto .22's especially mine.

If you really can't find cheap .223's near you (I don't know why that is as it's one of the more readily available round) just go to cheaperthandirt.com and buy it in bulk. They usually have some good deals going.

Plus there is always Wal-Mart. They usually have some decent ammo prices for decent ammo like Federal.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Take me to Lilly Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
-For 5.56 I use what the military does. M855 ball ammo. I also reload for the same rifle 75gr BTHP for more precision shooting.
-For .30-30, I use Federal 150gr, though I may start reloading that instead.
-.308 I load 168gr Sierra Match Kings
-.303 I load 174gr Hornady, but I also shoot Remington UMC if I didn't load any.
-.22 I shoot CCI Mini-Mags. I heard those run best through most semi-auto .22's especially mine.

If you really can't find cheap .223's near you (I don't know why that is as it's one of the more readily available round) just go to cheaperthandirt.com and buy it in bulk. They usually have some good deals going.

Plus there is always Wal-Mart. They usually have some decent ammo prices for decent ammo like Federal.
No, they have cheap .223's where I live... i just live so far away from town that it's an hour drive... I might as well just order off the internet... I only buy when I'm in town.

I've never used Hornady, but I've had some mixed reviews from friends that use it. Some love it and then others claim stories that I am still calling bullshit...

One friend said that his friend... (yes... now making it a friend of a friend story).. is a police officer and when the evidence came back from a shooting investigation, the defendant was using Hornady ammunition and they questioned whether or not he was shooting in self defense based on the type of ammunition he was carrying.

Like I said, though, I think the story is bullshit. I don't think that the brand is what matters, much more than the style of bullet. which could have been any brand. If the guy used a FMJ instead of a JHP and the prosecution could prove that he knew the difference and chose one over the other in hopes of making the person bleed out more... then I suppose there is a case... but I mean.. that is a really far-fetched story.. but my friends say that when it comes to a murder trial... the prosecution will do everything they can to use the type of ammunition you were carrying against you. And if you could have used a JHP but instead used a FMJ round and knew the difference... you could get into serious trouble. It's not likely... but it's still a possibility. I don't think it's anything to worry about... but it does make me wonder about the differences and the best ones to use.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:30 AM

For the record, I don't shoot Hornady ammunition, I use Hornady bullets in my handloads. Hornady is pretty darn expensive, and I'm not a rich man...

When I first got my 556, I was testing ammo and did try a few different kinds of Hornady ammo, but it wasn't anything spectacular.

As for that story, I think it sounds like BS. Then again, I think the whole legal system is, to put it lightly, quite flawed.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
CCI makes some of the best rimfire out there. I'm a bit of a fan of subsonics though as most of my .22 shooting is done with pistols and they tend to be more accurate with the subsonics. The Buckmark has yet to have a jam in the ten thousand plus rounds that have been through it from hyper velocity to subsonics. The Beretta Bobcat gets mini mags or stingers typically though, I do like the Augila too but they have gotten quite dirty over the past few years. Most brands subsonics are quite good as they put a little more time into them than their run of the mill bulk pakcs, CCI and Augila are the only brands that I've never had misfires with even with the Blazer line from CCI. For the cheap .22s you can't beat the Blazer line.

Regards,

Jung

Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

A quick question out of curiosity- do concealed carry licenses restrict you to carrying only one firearm? Or could you conceivably walk around with as many pistols as you could carry?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

Quote:
For the record, I don't shoot Hornady ammunition, I use Hornady bullets in my handloads. Hornady is pretty darn expensive, and I'm not a rich man...

When I first got my 556, I was testing ammo and did try a few different kinds of Hornady ammo, but it wasn't anything spectacular.

As for that story, I think it sounds like BS. Then again, I think the whole legal system is, to put it lightly, quite flawed.
I think the story is BS, but in theory... it could happen. But I wouldn't let that worry me because it's far fetched...

Quote:
CCI makes some of the best rimfire out there. I'm a bit of a fan of subsonics though as most of my .22 shooting is done with pistols and they tend to be more accurate with the subsonics. The Buckmark has yet to have a jam in the ten thousand plus rounds that have been through it from hyper velocity to subsonics. The Beretta Bobcat gets mini mags or stingers typically though, I do like the Augila too but they have gotten quite dirty over the past few years. Most brands subsonics are quite good as they put a little more time into them than their run of the mill bulk pakcs, CCI and Augila are the only brands that I've never had misfires with even with the Blazer line from CCI. For the cheap .22s you can't beat the Blazer line.

Regards,

Jung
Good info.. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
A quick question out of curiosity- do concealed carry licenses restrict you to carrying only one firearm? Or could you conceivably walk around with as many pistols as you could carry?
Good question... There is no limit in AZ, where I live... as long as you can conceal them all... if a gust of wind blows a jacket open and somebody catches a glimpse of two 40's on should straps then they can call 911 on yo ass and claim they saw a "mad man waiving a gun in public" ... then you go to jail.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Regards,

Jung
I have not had any FTF's with the Mini-Mags. And I don't know if it is the rifle or ammo or both, but they are extremely accurate at 100 yds. I have also tried others like Blazer and Winchester M22, and they are okay. But I prefer the Mini-Mags. Plus I just bought 1600 rounds of it, so I'm set for a couple range trips. The Savage 64 is a pretty reliable rifle though. Haven't had many problems with it at all.

I did have some problems with the M-22 though. It wasn't with my rifle but a friend's Walther P22. What I didn't realize was it is meant for high capacity .22 AR-style rifles. So I'm assuming it was too hot for the pistol to handle.

After shooting maybe a couple hundred rounds through it, on one of my shots, it knocked the slide loose and jammed it up pretty good. Gas shot out all over me and scared the crap out of me. I was really lucky considering I just took off my glasses because they were fogging up, and the gas just missed my eyes...

Surprisingly, there was no damage to the gun itself. After we managed to get the slide off, a spring fell out. Couldn't find where it was supposed to go back it, but the gun actually functioned better without it.

Quote:
I'm not 100%, but I think you can carry as many as you can conceal. I know some people have their primary in a waistband holster, but also have a small backup in their pocket.

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 08-13-2012 at 11:10 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Depends on the state, most states don't restrict but like New Jersey I believe you have to have a dedicated CCW pistol and have to qualify with it.

Quote:
I did have some problems with the M-22 though. It wasn't with my rifle but a friend's Walther P22. What I didn't realize was it is meant for high capacity .22 AR-style rifles. So I'm assuming it was too hot for the pistol to handle.
The P22 is a very tempermetal firearm when it comes to ammo, most of them I've shot have liked the CCI blazers though.

Regards,

Jung