Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-08-2012, 07:30 PM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

So I'm currently setting aside money for my first 9mm handgun so when I turn 21 I'll have the funds to go and get it on my birthday and not have to wait to save up for it.

The problem is I'm debating which one to get. There are 4 right now I'm looking at. The SIG P226, Beretta PX4 Storm, Smith and Wesson 5903 (or similar model), and Browning Hi-Power.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Sig right now. If anyone has any comments on these or any other quality 9mm's, I"m all ears. (On a side note, I've always shot with DA/SA pistols. I'm not looking for striker fired so much.)
Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
So I'm currently setting aside money for my first 9mm handgun so when I turn 21 I'll have the funds to go and get it on my birthday and not have to wait to save up for it.

The problem is I'm debating which one to get. There are 4 right now I'm looking at. The SIG P226, Beretta PX4 Storm, Smith and Wesson 5903 (or similar model), and Browning Hi-Power.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Sig right now. If anyone has any comments on these or any other quality 9mm's, I"m all ears. (On a side note, I've always shot with DA/SA pistols. I'm not looking for striker fired so much.)
It's whatever shoots best with you... for me it's the Glock 19 hands down...

Old 09-09-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi Driver Aaron View Post
It's whatever shoots best with you... for me it's the Glock 19 hands down...
That kind of goes without saying.

I was just curious if anyone had any firsthand info on the guns I am looking into. Like reliability, accuracy, ammo recommendations, that sort of thing.

As for Glocks, I can't get past their looks. I think honestly they are all butt ugly. I'm know they're excellent shooters, just not my cup of tea. Plus I learned to shoot with a single action trigger.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:14 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Sigs are built like a tank, and are quite nice shooters. The PX4 is fairly new to the market but from the ones I've shot and what I've heard they are quite quality handguns and are accurate. The 5903 series of guns are tough and accurate a little is left to be desired in the erganomic area. Now for the Browning Hi Power.....basically it is an improved 1911, they are a very impressive firearm.

Other suggestions would be the HK P7 although not a DA/SA it has a grip cocking mechanism that needs to be pulled to cock it. Honestly it is the most accurate auto I've ever had the chance to fire and own. I also really like the Walther P1 or P38, very comfortable and fairly accurate. they have a few things to watch out for however when looking for one. The Beretta 92fs should also be listed I suppose, it's quite tough and very easy to shoot. It's a little on the heavy side but then again so are a lot of the pistols listed. probably the second most accurate auto I've shot is a Beretta Steel One which is a all stainless steel 92fs, heavy as can be but the most pleasant shooting auto I've had the opportunity to shoot.

Regards,

Jung

Old 09-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That kind of goes without saying.

I was just curious if anyone had any firsthand info on the guns I am looking into. Like reliability, accuracy, ammo recommendations, that sort of thing.

As for Glocks, I can't get past their looks. I think honestly they are all butt ugly. I'm know they're excellent shooters, just not my cup of tea. Plus I learned to shoot with a single action trigger.
Well... if you're going to go single action then you might as well get a revolver... revolvers are much more reliable than pistols, although, I don't really think revolvers are practical for 9MM... might as well get a 38 special.

What are you using it for? .. if it's for concealed carry I would recommend a Kahr PM9 (double action only) ... but if you're stuck on single action 9MM's I would just go with a 38 special S&W revolver with a trigger job!...

If it's for planking... any gun will do... just pick one.... I typically don't spend as much time or thought into buying a gun unless it is for home defense or concealed carry... then I get more into it... planking guns I just buy and try like the kel-tech sub 2k ... my favorite 9MM

Old 09-15-2012, 12:45 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

Quote:
Well... if you're going to go single action then you might as well get a revolver... revolvers are much more reliable than pistols, although, I don't really think revolvers are practical for 9MM... might as well get a 38 special.

What are you using it for? .. if it's for concealed carry I would recommend a Kahr PM9 (double action only) ... but if you're stuck on single action 9MM's I would just go with a 38 special S&W revolver with a trigger job!...

If it's for planking... any gun will do... just pick one.... I typically don't spend as much time or thought into buying a gun unless it is for home defense or concealed carry... then I get more into it... planking guns I just buy and try like the kel-tech sub 2k ... my favorite 9MM
Modern autos are on par with revolvers in reliability. A single action auto cocks itself everytime it cycles. 9mm autos are out there too, typically require moon clips but they are out there and quite fun.

Regards,

Jung

Old 09-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

It's not a single action I'm after, it's a double action/single action. When carried you usually drop the hammer, resulting in the first shot being double action and every subsequent shot is in single action. This negates the need for an external safety, which I am not a fan of. Also, the single action trigger is lighter than double action only or striker fired pistols, so I tend to shoot more accurately with it. Although I do plan on getting a single action .45LC revolver at some point, which is besides the point.

As for intent, primarily "plinking"(not planking )/home defense. Just an all around handgun. And no concealed carry for me here in this stupid retarded state......

Quote:
I typically don't spend as much time or thought into buying a gun unless it is for home defense or concealed carry
Well this is where we differ in opinion. I always put, maybe too much, time and energy and thought into all gun purchases. I don't want to have 500 guns that I never shoot or have guns that I regret buying. When I buy one, it's because I plan on using it.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

If you are going for a no external safety handgun in 9mm I'd highly suggest the HK P7. It has a squeeze cocking mechanism that is required to depress before firing which is about a 16 pound pull. Really comfortable after cocking and a fairly light 4 pound trigger pull if I recall correctly. The barrel is fixed to the frame making it an extremely accurate pistol on par with most revolvers. The cocking mechanism is also used as the slide release. The PSP model has a european style heal magazine release where as the P7m8 and P7m13s have a traditional american button release. other than the magazine release and a take down button to take the slide off of the frame there are no buttons to snag on anything. All in all reliable, accurate, and extremely safe.

Regards,

Jung

Old 09-15-2012, 01:32 PM

I have yet to see one in person. But if I do see one at the store, I'll be sure to look into it more thoroughly. And by look into, I mean shoot.

I am so impatient right now... 7 more months...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

I have a Browning Hi-Power with the matte chrome finish. It came with adjustable Combat sights, pachmayr grips and the gold trigger. It is my favorite semi automatic handgun. Also it says on the slide made in Belgium by Fabrique Nationales. The only downside some people find with the gun is it's a single action. It looks like the the one in the picture.

I also have a Sig 228 in 9mm which I sent back to Sig-Sauer to install adjustable sights. I bought it as a carry gun due to its smaller length.

Glock really makes a nice gun but I don't like the feel of the grip in my hand.
I have friends who own Glock's who absolutely love them.

Edit: After posting the above post last night I popped over to my gun stores web site to see if they had anything interesting in their used section. Yes they did, I had one of these when I was twelve and traded it in when I was sixteen for a Winchester 1200 12 gauge. The only gun I ever got rid of in my life that I always wanted another one but never got around to replacing it.

Went down this afternoon to look at it and bought it on sight.
A Mossberg 144 .22 target rifle with a heavy barrel in excellent condition and a Bushnell scope on it for $295. The only downside was the previous owner removed the rear target peep sight. That wasn't a big deal since I can order another one from Brownells next week. Of course with my luck today the State Police PICS system was down so I'll have to drop in either tomorrow or some day next week to pick it up. I've been looking for a nice .22 bolt action and couldn't believe they had one, let alone at this price. Anytime they get a nice used .22 target rifle in, it's out the door in days.
Older target .22's are getting big bucks lately and I couldn't let it go at this price. When I get it I'll post pictures.

Last edited by ALS; 09-29-2012 at 04:45 PM..