Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-09-2021, 10:54 AM

Elise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
The dominance of English in popular music is due to the fact that English has a technical advantage over other languages.

English, due to its extended vocabulary and its less strict grammar rules, is more "flexible"--- English can support a larger number of catchy melodies.
It’s difficult for me to compare languages but I think it is nothing special about the English language, isn’t it more the cultural dominance and influence of the USA? From what I’ve seen in French, writers are just as able to take artistic liberties and bend grammar rules to create the desired effect, and I’d say the same is probably true for most languages (though I’m no linguist). American media just happens to be the most influential around the world.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:44 AM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

AlizéeSuperFanFIN is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
It’s difficult for me to compare languages but I think it is nothing special about the English language, isn’t it more the cultural dominance and influence of the USA? From what I’ve seen in French, writers are just as able to take artistic liberties and bend grammar rules to create the desired effect, and I’d say the same is probably true for most languages (though I’m no linguist). American media just happens to be the most influential around the world.
That's a good option! And in addition to the dominant media, probably often English-speakers own big record companies and radio stations "around the world"?

If the French owned them in the United States, for example, Alizée would probably be well known there and so on.

I think there is no same trend in Asia as here in Europe, including also in Finland! There, many still don’t know so much about the West and don’t even want to know except for those who want to.

I took Asia as an example because there is clearly more than half the world’s population there

Alizée 💜