Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 05-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road
Default Chemotherapy??

Serious question.
I hope this is not inappropriate? If any of the mods feel that it is please feel free to remove this thread.

Has anyone in the forum ever had Chemotherapy, or know anyone that has?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

My mother did for quite a long time when I was in high school. Why? Do you want to talk about it over PM?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Get in,sit down,HANG ON!!

Alizée,Angel of Ajaccio.. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
Serious question.
I hope this is not inappropriate? If any of the mods feel that it is please feel free to remove this thread.

Has anyone in the forum ever had Chemotherapy, or know anyone that has?
I've known folks that have and it's very rough.

Hopefully, you or whoever is involved will overcome.

Depending on how far things have progressed, this, along with other similar info, may help. (Feel free to PM me for more info if you're interested)(These vids may also be blocked in your country....let me know)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ssg1V9c7E5s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ssg1V9c7E5s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 05-21-2009, 08:48 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, already.
I don't mind talking about it openly as long as it is ok? I thought for some it might be upsetting so i wasn't sure whether to open up a thread or not?
To cut a very long story short, i have a bowel problem called Crohn's Disease.
I've had it for over 20 years now and have had major surgery about 7 years ago.
I haven't been so good recently and the Surgeon started me on an Immunosuppresant therapy. It worked for a while (in controlling the symptoms) allthough the side effects weren't very pleasant.
Anyway, the bad news was that the side effects of this caused my blood Platelet count to fall heavily and it hasn't risen again to an acceptable level.
I had to have tests for Lukemia a few weeks ago and the results were not good.
Apparantley, because i am 45 i don't have full blown Lukemia but have a different form of it?
I have to start Chemo in about 6 weeks time and i'm terrified. I have to get an infusion about once per month and an injection of something every week.
It's hard to remember as Dr's talk so quickly and are difficult to understand.
The Hospital seems positive that it should be a success and am not in any danger (as long as i get the treatment).
It has me seriously depressed.
My problem is that i'm not married and live alone and don't have any family that will be able to take care of me?
How i'm going to do this alone i just don't know?
Again, sorry to post this and i'm NOT looking for sympathy. I just hoped that maybe someone on the forum might have experience with the side effects and could let me know what to expect. I know that i'll have to buy a hat and will vomit a lot but have very little other info?
Any of your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Junkmale; 05-21-2009 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
In pursuit...

mavsluver41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
It has me seriously depressed.
My problem is that i'm not married and live alone and don't have any family that will be able to take care of me?
How i'm going to do this alone i just don't know?
Bummer, dude . You said you don't want sympathy, and I'm pretty sure I can't offer it, considering I have no idea what it feels like to be in your spot. If will say though that there's always us here at AAm and Alizée to keep you company if you're feeling down .
Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry to hear that, Junkmale. Do you work? What do you do? I won't lie, my mother spent most of her time in in bed when on chemo, so it might be important to square things away with your employer before you start.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

My mother also underwent chemo and had a pretty bad time of it, but she managed to still deliver "Meals on Wheels" to shut-ins. They should have been delivering meals to her. Anyway, the chemo was successful and she had a number of good years after that. Of course she had us kids to support her, but she managed it mostly on her own.

Ben is right about your job, though. I would get things straightened out with your employer. Many communities now have better services available to help people in your situation. It might be a good idea to check into it in case you might need it.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to hear about your condition Junkmale !! I have a very close friend who had chemo not to long ago, his reasons were different though. They found cancer in his throat, due to his smoking habits. He underwent surgery and then had chemo for quite a few months. It's not pleasant that's for sure, it leaves you in an unpleasant druggy state, and in his case it took away his voice and the flavor in all his meals. He's married and has one daughter, but what he needed the most was moral support. I think your doing the right thing by informing your friends here, I'm sure you'll find some comfort knowing that some do care. keep in touch with those you trust the most, and feel free to post all you want. Be strong and always have hope, my friend came out of it well and so can you !!

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Last edited by Jess; 05-22-2009 at 12:03 AM..
Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 AM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

My mother went through chemo about 5 or 6 years ago due to breast cancer. She had a hard time of it, it really kept her sickly for months, but she is very healthy now. She really relied on us to support her through it, but she came through it very well. What worries me about you is that you live alone; if you have friends or something nearby that can come and even just spend some time with you I'm certain you'll feel much better than you would otherwise. I wish we could be more help here, but hopefully we can give you all the support we can. If you ever need to chat about it, shoot me a PM.

Besides, I know a guy who's been going through chemo lately but has managed to stay relatively active and healthy, so who knows, maybe you won't be affected too badly by it. Just keep a positive attitude as much as you can, I suppose.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:52 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your condition. My mom went through Chemotherapy nine years ago and from late Nov through Jan of this year for lung cancer. There are different drugs that affect people in different ways. It is more of the dose than the drug itself. Some tolerate it better than others. In her case the radiation was what really took a toll on her.

There are pills they can give you if it makes you nauseous to help out.