Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-16-2009, 10:22 PM

3zktzqt2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Should Alizée have more fans?

It seems after she came back for her third album a lot of people had forgotten about her. What do you guys think?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:26 PM
A-Team

edgar93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3zktzqt2 View Post
It seems after she came back for her third album a lot of people had forgotten about her. What do you guys think?
I don't think they forgot at all.
It's just that people can't wait forever, and the feeling is not the same as it used to be, sometimes even Alizée fades away from your life.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

i dunno about that.. i mean, after all, when she did come back, she was very different than the "lolita" image she had before right?

maybe some people liked her soley for that image, and didn't like her new one.

but yes, i am suprised at how little of a fan base she has(at least, based on how much i enjoy her music! she should rival chris brown!)

for me though, most things that i like have a small, but fiercely dedicated fan base.
i don't know how many of you know Firefly, but it was a show on fox that was cancelled after one season. not a huge amount of fans, but definetly a very loyal one.

same with Alizee i think. but then again, she has more fans spread out through the world than all concentrated in one country, like a bit in France, Mexcio, America, other parts of Europe and throughout Asia.

just my 2 cents

Old 05-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

When Alizée first appeared on the scene she was the right girl with the right music at the right time. This doesn’t happen very often and of course she was a huge hit. Even less often can an artist keep repeating that success. When you start at the top, where can you go from there? One would almost have to expect her career to cool down some.

Probably a lot of her fans in the beginning were people just looking for the latest bandwagon to jump onto. Those people always move on to something else, and then on to something else again. Yes, I’m sure she also lost fans who were stuck on the Lolita thing, and still others who simply didn’t like her new music or “look”. There was also her long absence from the business which probably cost her some momentum.

Also, we have to consider the lack of a well executed and sustained promotion and marketing effort for her third album, not to mention having to cancel concerts. Although I feel the songs on Psychédélices were good, I don’t think that any one of them jumped out as a “big hit” type of song. It’s too bad 50/60 didn’t get some heavy promo.

Through it all though, she has her small group of hard core fans in France and Europe, as well as her newfound Mexican and other international fans. I think we all agree that Alizée is special to us as a person, as well as an artist, and that’s why we stick by her through thick and thin. You won’t get the general public to go that far. Keep in mind that some of her Mexican fans may disappear as well. A certain percentage of fans will always move on to something else once the novelty wears off, and they never come back no matter what. Once you are “yesterday’s news” to them, they can actually become sick of you and even dislike you. It’s sad, but true.

So should Alizée have more fans? Considering all the above, maybe not. Maybe the question to ask is whether Alizée can gain more fans in the future. If she can get a big hit out of her next album and get the promotion she needs, I don’t see any reason why she can’t have a ton of fans. It wouldn’t hurt for her to be exposed to a fresh market that doesn’t know her yet. Novelty can play a big part in the success of an artist and I had always hoped that an adorable French singer hitting the US market at the right time could be that novelty. I know it’s a long shot.

As long as Alizée is allowed to keep playing, she has a chance to hit another home run.
In the meantime, I stick by her because I like her voice and her music, but also because I simply like Alizée, the person.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 AM
In pursuit...

mavsluver41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Through it all though, she has her small group of hard core fans in France and Europe, as well as her newfound Mexican and other international fans. I think we all agree that Alizée is special to us as a person, as well as an artist, and that’s why we stick by her through thick and thin. You won’t get the general public to go that far. Keep in mind that some of her Mexican fans may disappear as well. A certain percentage of fans will always move on to something else once the novelty wears off, and they never come back no matter what. Once you are “yesterday’s news” to them, they can actually become sick of you and even dislike you. It’s sad, but true.
Exactly. Alizée is the only artist/performer/entertainer who can maintain a fan base (to a certain extent) without doing anything at all. No promotion. No interaction. No news. Yet once you get on the Lili train, it's nearly impossible to take yourself completely off, you know what I mean? It's my theory that she grew too complacent when she realized this, and thus did not make a full effort to bring in new fans or actively hold onto the old ones. She was right though: none of the big fans from the better days truly left. It seems that she recently came to understand the fickleness of the music business (perhaps the canceled concerts had something to do with it), and voila: the hand-written note, tons of pictures and news, and twitter .

I'm confident that if she is willing to accept a higher level of fame again, she will be able .
Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

This is going to annoy some of you, but if Alizée herself reads it, I think she'll agree with me.

She's going to have to earn more fans.

She made a conscious choice to move away from the image and the style of music that she was singing in the Mylène days. I think it was a good choice for many reasons, but it also means that she is starting over almost from scratch. Many of her old fans fell away after Psychédélices was released, disappointed that the Alizée they used to love is gone.

She must now make contact with a new set of fans, a more mature audience interested in more unusual, non-formula music of the kind she wants to sing. I believe she can do it. Her voice has lost none of its power, and her magic is still strong. She needs better organization in terms of promotion and performances to follow the new album. And finally, she needs time, and a bit of luck. The time she has, and as for the luck -- that can be arranged.

But there's no reason to think she should have more fans already, no. Not in my opinion. She hasn't earned them yet.

(No offense intended, Lili. You know I'm always on your side, no matter what.)

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 05-17-2009, 03:10 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
When Alizée first appeared on the scene she was the right girl with the right music at the right time. This doesn’t happen very often and of course she was a huge hit. Even less often can an artist keep repeating that success. When you start at the top, where can you go from there? One would almost have to expect her career to cool down some.

Probably a lot of her fans in the beginning were people just looking for the latest bandwagon to jump onto. Those people always move on to something else, and then on to something else again. Yes, I’m sure she also lost fans who were stuck on the Lolita thing, and still others who simply didn’t like her new music or “look”. There was also her long absence from the business which probably cost her some momentum.

Also, we have to consider the lack of a well executed and sustained promotion and marketing effort for her third album, not to mention having to cancel concerts. Although I feel the songs on Psychédélices were good, I don’t think that any one of them jumped out as a “big hit” type of song. It’s too bad 50/60 didn’t get some heavy promo.

So should Alizée have more fans? Considering all the above, maybe not. Maybe the question to ask is whether Alizée can gain more fans in the future. If she can get a big hit out of her next album and get the promotion she needs, I don’t see any reason why she can’t have a ton of fans. It wouldn’t hurt for her to be exposed to a fresh market that doesn’t know her yet. Novelty can play a big part in the success of an artist and I had always hoped that an adorable French singer hitting the US market at the right time could be that novelty. I know it’s a long shot.

As long as Alizée is allowed to keep playing, she has a chance to hit another home run.
In the meantime, I stick by her because I like her voice and her music, but also because I simply like Alizée, the person.

Sorry for the long post.
I like how you think Lefty. I agree with vertually all of your points. Speaking of promotion. I would think that her label would already be promoting heavily her upcoming album. I hope they don't do the same thing over expecting different results. That's the definition of insanity!
Old 05-17-2009, 12:36 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepew View Post
I like how you think Lefty. I agree with vertually all of your points. Speaking of promotion. I would think that her label would already be promoting heavily her upcoming album. I hope they don't do the same thing over expecting different results. That's the definition of insanity!
Well Alizée has the worst economy since WWII working against her in the E.U.
Although it shouldn't be a problem with CD sales it is a major problem when trying to get the average fan to scrape together €75 to €150 for an hour and half concert.

Europe-in-deepest-recession-since-War-as-Germany-suffers
Old 05-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepew View Post
good point there. i mean, her new album is to come out in september, which is about 4 months away. im not too sure of advertising and marketing.. but seems to me now is a good time to start promoting it.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Allez L'OM!

aditya8617 is on a distinguished road

Forgotten? Definitely no. I call it just being patient. Giving her time to learn the business and make a sensational return to the music world.