Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

I've spent the last hour trying to research the music industry a little, starting with a google search "digital download costs to label." Nothing has really become clear to me yet, but I'm going to have to agree that they (Sony Music Entertainment) see no profitable market in the US for at least this single. It looks to me like there are costs involved in each country where something is released, and it's not as simple as just creating a page on Amazon. And things like Lefty mentioned about a performing rights society.

So now I'm curious as to just how many fans there are in the US. It can't be just the folks here on AAM. I don't know how to figure that one out. Still bummed.

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 07-11-2012 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Ray4AJ she has a huge fan base here in the U.S., the problem is it is past fan base. You'll find as you travel through many message boards other than those specializing in music that many of those members are very aware of Alizée. The issue is they are very familiar and very positive with who she is but these people are not the ones who would buy her music or attend one of her concerts. You have to remember that there is also that large group of fans that are lurkers on these boards. I'd guess it is probably a ratio of four lurkers to each posting member. I got into Alizée late 2004 and lurked on her fan boards for over two years before joining here.

If Scruffydog pulls off another personal CD signing with Alizée, watch these lurkers come out of the woodwork wanting to get a personalized CD for themselves.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
If Scruffydog pulls off another personal CD signing with Alizée, watch these lurkers come out of the woodwork wanting to get a personalized CD for themselves.
I was thinking about that... I've browsed those threads, and saw what happened back then. I'm amazed at how much effort folks here have put in to promote Alizée throughout the years. I was also thinking (just a notion) that maybe she agreed to the UEDS session knowing that we (the US) were being ignored by the label (not her) and it was something she could do within her contract for us. I'm pretty sure they won't let her comment on any of the distribution aspects. But this thought encourages me that AAM might be able to have another session, and makes me like her even more. But I could be wrong. These are just my thoughts. What I've been learning about the industry makes me doubt she could come here and perform even if she wanted to, due to all the rights issues, etc. But that would be so cool if she did!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

I'm not surprised at all that there is nothing for the US. No one has tried tapping into the US with her music since Mylene re-wrote some of her singles from MCE in english, and those were just terrible on Mylene's part. Also, whether she has fans here or not is not the only factor Sony is playing on. No matter how large or small the fan base is, the song would not have much staying power if any at all on the radio or the charts when you also have huge names like Katy Perry, Rihanna, Bieber, Wiz Khalifa, and others to consider.

Even if her handful of fans in the US bought and promoted the heck out of the single, the general public would probably find it very "meh". I can't see the song catching anyone's attention or creating new fans here, which is what I'm sure the label is looking for.

As for how big her current fan base is, sadly I have a feeling that many of the people who know her here in the US are just people who found her videos from the MF-LB days, like to go back and watch every now and then and think she's sexy, not fans who follow her career closely and buy her music. To many I think she is simply the girl with the night elf dance from WoW.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Well I believe Alizee's career is still in jeapordy at this point. It all depends on this album. It has to be a commercial success this time and for that to happen, it has to succeed in France and I'm quite sure that is what Sony is targeting with this album. Now if this album does well in France, I think there is a very good possibility that they will rewrite some of the songs into English, then release an international version of it.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Karin is on a distinguished road

you can be jealous... her single is in Korea too http://www.melon.com/cds/album/web/a...D=&ref=twitter

Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

I like to give Sony the benefit of the doubt. This is their job so I'm sure they know what they're doing. Although, nobody's perfect.

When they promoted Alizee's official website and held the live chat, that's not just to promote her new single. That was also used to track or find out where most of her fans at. I'm pretty sure had they received enough hits here in the US to justify their cost and effort, they would have been here to promote and sell her new single or album.

While not perfect, it is the best indicator that they have. I'm sure they're using that data along with other indicators (fb or twitter buzz, news articles, etc) to plan their next move.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

The cheapest way to hit the foreign markets and get the best bang for the Euro is to set someone up on the boards promoting her CD. If they do a promotion pulling in the members here as well as those on the other Alizée Fan boards around the world, it costs them a little time even less money, but it is directed right at her CD buying fans like a Laser beam.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:34 PM

Panther is on a distinguished road

I have no idea why it is not available in The States but I noticed last night that it is now being advertised here in the UK on Amazon. The page is up now but you actually can't buy it until the 22nd of July for some reason??? Maybe it will come to the US soon???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-cause-de-l...117819&sr=8-31

Old 07-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road

I got the e-mail about the pre-order for the limited edition... Can't order through Sony France...

Why the **** don't they have a foreign language service so that I can do shit reasonably easy?

"Most men serve the state thus: Not as men mainly, but as machines . . . "
Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience