Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > The AAm Project

Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

FRA, I think you misunderstood some of Ed’s points, like about the wooden weapons.

My friends and I don’t keep track of who owes who, nor do we worry about being even. Our friendship and history together means we are in it for the long haul and we figure it all balances out over time. When my friend wants to do something that I think is wrong or stupid, and he asks for my help, I say no. He may be mad at me for a few days, but he knows that our friendship doesn’t require me to always agree with him or do things against my better judgment. A real friend should not expect another friend to compromise their principles. But we are there for each other when it counts. That’s the way I prefer to look at the relationship between France and the USA. There’s a lot of history there and I’m not keeping score on who owes who.

And now I've just realized how far off topic we've gotten.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:47 AM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
DJ greg, who used to come by here alot....don't think his been here lately, did play her music on the air for an indy radio station Back in the East coast, i think it was for college. Other than that, I don't think her music has even been played on Mainstream Radio...unless there is a MASSIVE promotion done by RCA to promote her US concert....then maybe it will be played.....we'll see.

Here's DJ greg's thread: http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=250
Well, there was also this thread, but seeing as the links don't appear to work anymore, I guess that's irrelevant.

Crazy that's it's now been over a year since I did a show (and 6 months since I've been to these forums). Those were fun times.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Welcome back then.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:36 AM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcognito View Post
Oh jesus ace, don't go there. In 1940 the majority of US Army training was being done with wooden weapons for rifles and machine guns, cars for tanks, and our TOP of the line fighter was the Brewster (FREAKIN) Buffalo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_Buffalo

We would have gone down JUST as fast, our troops weren't trained or equiped well enough to do more than trench warfare... Which the Germans in 1940 weren't fighting...

I would also remind you that France did a HELL of a lot for us to ensure OUR freedom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Yorktown

If the French Fleet hadn't prevented Cornwallis' retreat - who KNOWS how the war would have turned out? We might be speaking Kings English right now....

So lets not "France" bash... These guys "Légion étrangère" have been kickin' ass for about 50 yrs. less than we've been in existence....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion

AND we got a certain "landmark":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_liberty , that you may have heard of!

Other countries don't have to follow our foreign policy....

Ed
Well stated Ed!

Most of the U.S. radio stations are told what they have to play by their bosses or owners.

While we here would love to see Alizée not only come here, but do well, I feel that this country, at this point in time, has trained most of it's listeners to buy into what THEY want to sell, and not what may wind up being popular based on true fan desires.

As an example, when the Beatles were going full steam in Europe, and the parent record company for Capitol Records, E.M.I., requested on several occasions to play Beatles music in the states, Capitol Records turned them down, saying that american audiences would not go for that type of music. It took 3 number one releases by the Beatles and disc jockeys here playing Beatles music on their own to get the american record companies to concede to let Beatles music finally be played and sold here.
It is far more controlled now then at that time.

Personally, I feel that the French get bad press here and that this country thinks it's shit doesn't stink, while the rest of the free world basically is holding it's collective breath and hoping that we don't create mayhem for them. This is not due to the populace, but more what those in Washington, the elite group, want to do rather then listen to those who have voted them into office. This goes for both sides. They all seem to feel that they can do as they want too, and that we as citizens don't know a damn thing.

I am extremely pro-France since hearing Alizée 4+ years ago and becoming far less enchanted by anything we have to put up with here. I think anyone who has read, listened to or watched the news, and has their ears and eyes open, understands and knows what I am referring too.

I believe that regardless of what we might think as a forum, that Alizée is actually smart in her outlook on where she performs and how she conducts her life. Too bad more people don't follow her example on how they conduct their lives. Entertainment Tonight and the rest of those shows would be all but off the air.

Last edited by C-4; 07-11-2008 at 10:47 AM..
Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 AM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

There is an insufficient fan base in America to justify a performance here. Well, more precisely, there is an insufficient fan "mass" to support a performance.

I could see her dropping by at some venue (Doesn't RCA have an HQ in New York?) for autographs or a fan meet. This could serve multiple purposes:

1. Alizée gets a trip to the U.S. as a business expense.
2. She gets to meet with RCA Executives (it's always a good thing to meet face to face with your business partners).
3. Alizée and RCA can use the "fan meet" or "autograph session" to gauge grassroots support in the U.S.

Bottom Line: Most Americans want to hear English songs. Those of us who are willing to listen outside those bounds are few and far between.

The reason Alizée does so well in Russia, Mexico, and other countries is because those fans are generally more open to other languages than Americans. That's just the reality of our world today. There are disadvantages in having your native tongue become the language of worldwide commerce....that is often the only language you will ever need to do your business.....or listen to music.

There are also several cultural and political reasons why a French singer is accepted in Russian and Mexico and not in the U.S. But I don't want to go there as we will inevitably diverge into the political and cultural underpinnings and lose track of that which it supports.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
There is an insufficient fan base in America to justify a performance here. Well, more precisely, there is an insufficient fan "mass" to support a performance.

I could see her dropping by at some venue (Doesn't RCA have an HQ in New York?) for autographs or a fan meet. This could serve multiple purposes:

1. Alizée gets a trip to the U.S. as a business expense.
2. She gets to meet with RCA Executives (it's always a good thing to meet face to face with your business partners).
3. Alizée and RCA can use the "fan meet" or "autograph session" to gauge grassroots support in the U.S.

Bottom Line: Most Americans want to hear English songs. Those of us who are willing to listen outside those bounds are few and far between.

The reason Alizée does so well in Russia, Mexico, and other countries is because those fans are generally more open to other languages than Americans. That's just the reality of our world today. There are disadvantages in having your native tongue become the language of worldwide commerce....that is often the only language you will ever need to do your business.....or listen to music.

There are also several cultural and political reasons why a French singer is accepted in Russian and Mexico and not in the U.S. But I don't want to go there as we will inevitably diverge into the political and cultural underpinnings and lose track of that which it supports.
Nicely stated Ogre! While I think learning a foreign language is good to do and helps broaden a person's mind, I would definitely choose French to any other language. In HS, I was told that I would learn Spanish. I had no choice in the matter. It hasn't helped me at all. I am now trying to do my best to understand French. It would have been my personal choice, had I been given the opportunity to choose which language to study as a student.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM

RadioactiveMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post

Praise Alizée ! DJ_Greg has returned !

Old 07-11-2008, 01:29 PM

Fralizee is on a distinguished road

US born Americans are not interested in other countries or their performers if the language is not English. Most of my coleagues don't even know European country locations, never mind their artists. Coming from Europe(the Netherlands) I grew up listening to songs and watching movies in different languages. Here, everything people know from birth is in English, so even a multilingual performer like Celine Dion refrains from singing in French here in the US. Alizee will never make it in the US, unless she sings in English and besides, the competition here is huge and nasty.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM

US born Americans are not interested in other countries or their performers if the language is not English.

You are very correct, and unfortunately for these types of people, they don't know what they are missing out on.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Fralizee is on a distinguished road

I would hate to see Alizee get hurt by the American media who, I'm sure, would have a field day with her.
Let her perform in countries that she feels, are appreciating her, rather than trying to make her way into a country that is oblivious to artists from outside its borders.
Just consider the word "World Champions" as we call our US baseball , football and basketball champions. What world other than the US and Canada did they compete with?
As long as this kind of ignorence exists, foreign , non English artists will have a hard time making it here in the US.