Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 AM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchaikovsky View Post
Where'd you come from?!
I emerge once every seventeen years...much like the cicada.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 PM
100th Member

Almost four months later, I finally updated the main page.

Unfortunately, I don't even have the original recordings of these shows anymore, as my external hard drive recently crashed, which caused me to lose about 80 GB of pictures, documents (everything I wrote in college and graduate school, including my master's thesis), radio shows, and music.

Does anyone have knowledge of how to recover data from a hard drive that my computer won't recognize (and that now makes a lot of noise when it's plugged in)? I haven't taken it to a professional yet, and I'm afraid of what it might cost...
Old 12-30-2008, 05:55 AM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
Does anyone have knowledge of how to recover data from a hard drive that my computer won't recognize (and that now makes a lot of noise when it's plugged in)? I haven't taken it to a professional yet, and I'm afraid of what it might cost...
I used a program called Power Data Recovery (www.powerdatarecovery.com) to successfully recover all the data from an external drive that had lost it's formatting in Windows. However, Windows was still recognizing this drive, so it was simply a software failure and not a hardware failure. In your case, the noise you are hearing would indicate a hardware failure. If it's just an electronic failure and you can get that repaired so that your computer can recognize the drive then a disk recovery program could work to retrieve the data. If it's a mechanical failure that has caused a head crash then the only option I know of that might work is to have a professional service disassemble the drive and magnetically lift the data off of the disk platters. This is a very expensive process, and I've never actually had it done myself.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 AM
100th Member

Yikes. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll need to at least talk to a professional to see if anything can be saved.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 PM

Topaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yikes. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll need to at least talk to a professional to see if anything can be saved.
Hi Greg,

Take the hard drive out of the box and put it in the freezer for a day. Then put it back in and try it. This has worked for people I know.

If you must use a program, he recommends SpinRite. It's a little pricey but he says it's the best.

I just read it is an external drive. This will make it much easier.

Last edited by Topaz; 12-30-2008 at 11:53 PM..
Old 12-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Alizée's Future Soldier

AlizéeDuSiècle is on a distinguished road
Default I missed the last one

dude will you do any for 09?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 AM
100th Member

Thanks to Fifty Sixty and Topaz for the suggestions. I will try the freezer trick before calling someone about it. It's a little frustrating that this happened, so I've been mostly avoiding the whole thing until after the holidays.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

Greg,

There is a program called 'Spinrite' that you can use to recover your data. If it doesn't work nothing will. I have used it many times in the past, and it has worked every time but once.

I think it is around $60, but it is worth every penny if your data is important to you.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
Greg,

There is a program called 'Spinrite' that you can use to recover your data. If it doesn't work nothing will. I have used it many times in the past, and it has worked every time but once.

I think it is around $60, but it is worth every penny if your data is important to you.

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Steeeve Gibson! Check out his security netcast too. You can go to grc.com/securitynow or get it from ITunes. He does one every week with Leo Laporte. How'd this become a tech thread though? Mods, can we get a split here?

i though I heard of Alizée being on the radio recently. And someone did a rendition recently of Moi... Lolita on some tv show and they played a couple Alizée clips (in France).

Merci Fanny
Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 PM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i accidentally formatted the wrong HD one time and i used OO's format recovery software and was able to get most of my data back. just leave it alone until you run a recovery software on it, i ran few but OO's software was able to retrieve the most files and do it pretty quickly.