Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Est. 11-10-2007

DirtyACE is on a distinguished road

For me, two days ago Idealiser was the best tune but now I can say for sure that Lily Town, Fifty-Sixty, Par les paupieres, Mon Taxi Driver, and Lonely Liste are all tied for first place in my book. You really have to give it a chance. It didn't blow me away at first either, except for one song.

By the way, does anybody else think that maybe the debut single should have been different? After a few days I think that either Fifty-Sixty or Lily Town should have been picked. I think those two songs aside from being great, would also go over better with the general public. I'm of course speaking purely from the style they're in.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Psychédélices is a great third album for Alizée, IMO. She is a better singer now and her vocal performances on the CD are excellent. As I've said before, some of the music here and there lacks a touch of imagination, but all in all, these are good songs performed perfectly.

I don't know what some people expected. Maybe the long wait drove expectations too high. Maybe some people miss "Lolita". I always saw Lolita as a part she played, nothing more. I think as we all have been coming back down to earth, most of us have been recognizing this album for the great accomplishment it is. Alizée is stronger than ever, more beautiful than ever, and she's in charge. It makes me love her and her music more than ever.

Great album, Alizée...
Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Est. 11-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Psychédélices is a great third album for Alizée, IMO. She is a better singer now and her vocal performances on the CD are excellent. As I've said before, some of the music here and there lacks a touch of imagination, but all in all, these are good songs performed perfectly.

I don't know what some people expected. Maybe the long wait drove expectations too high. Maybe some people miss "Lolita". I always saw Lolita as a part she played, nothing more. I think as we all have been coming back down to earth, most of us have been recognizing this album for the great accomplishment it is. Alizée is stronger than ever, more beautiful than ever, and she's in charge. It makes me love her and her music more than ever.

Great album, Alizée...
Some people really are nostalgic for the Lolita period. Not that easy to move on for everyone. You either accept it or you don't, it's as simple as that. Nostalgia being what it is clouds their minds.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
While I think the album's great, I'm not sure if I'd rank it above the first two just yet...
An X3 to that. Here's the interesting thing, actually.

On both Gourmandises and Mes courants électriques, there are songs that I often skip past. It's not that I don't like them, and if I restrain myself and continue listening, I enjoy the songs a ton, but I just... skip past them for some reason. Though great, I just find these songs to not be on the same level as the others: Lui ou Toi, Veni Vedi Vici, A quoi rêve une jeune fille, Tempête, Youpidou, and Coeur déjà pris. Of course most of you will disagree with my choices, and that's fine, as I don't find worth in arguing with something that cannot under any circumstances be based on more than opinion. I respect a person's right to opinion.

Anyway, here's the actual interesting part; I cannot find any of these pseudo-inferior songs on Psychédélices. Everything is great, and though there is nothing like J'en ai marre, Gourmandises, or À contre-courant, I also can't seem to find anything on a lower tier. Does anybody share this happening with me?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Man, I wish I had the enthusiasm of others on this board.

For me, though, these songs just aren't interesting.

Maybe it's because the style of Alizée's music was NEVER something I've been into. I liked her (and eventually her music) in spite of the style. And it's not because Mylene and Laurent aren't involved; people who are familiar with me (from my daily posting days) know that I never had much reverence for those two.

But I've been waiting for one of these songs to "wow" me...just one...and I haven't found it.

I'm not gonna buy the CD and force the songs to grow on me. That's just not worth my time, when there's music that I enjoy much more and would rather listen to.

Alizée was a big part of the summer and autumn of 2006 (when I was mostly unemployed), and I enjoyed listening to her music then. But I've moved on from it now. I don't expect I'll make another attempt at the new album. It just isn't for me.

But I'm happy for you guys, who have been waiting so long. I'm glad you like the new stuff. Enjoy the ride! I just don't think I'll be joining you.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post

On both Gourmandises and Mes courants électriques, there are songs that I often skip past. It's not that I don't like them, and if I restrain myself and continue listening, I enjoy the songs a ton, but I just... skip past them for some reason. Though great, I just find these songs to not be on the same level as the others: Lui ou Toi, Veni Vedi Vici, A quoi rêve une jeune fille, Tempête, Youpidou, and Coeur déjà pris. Of course most of you will disagree with my choices, and that's fine, as I don't find worth in arguing with something that cannot under any circumstances be based on more than opinion. I respect a person's right to opinion.

Anyway, here's the actual interesting part; I cannot find any of these pseudo-inferior songs on Psychédélices. Everything is great, and though there is nothing like J'en ai marre, Gourmandises, or À contre-courant, I also can't seem to find anything on a lower tier. Does anybody share this happening with me?
Espire, you make very good points. My list of "skipover" songs would be shorter and somewhat different.

That's what I meant in my post when I said there was a bit of a lack of imagination in the music writing here and there. If a few of those songs just had that little something extra, it would push them over the top. All of the songs are really good, but nothing totally blows me away. There are no stinkers either. Maybe bringing in another writer to share duties with Jeremy might have helped, I don't know.

All in all, I stand by what I said that this is a great third album for Alizée, now that she's on her own.

And DJ_Greg, I ask you to buy her new CD regardless of how you feel right now. I don't know if it will grow on you, but I can't help feeling that all of us here owe it to Alizée in a way. After all, all of us fans have been badgering her to come back for quite a while now. It's like talking someone into something and then not backing them up when the time comes.

I have come to this forum almost every day for the past year, emploring Alizée to come back, watching her videos, listening to her music, and just plain enjoying the hell out of talking about her with fellow fans. I figure that's worth the price of 1 CD, even if I hated it.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post

Yeah, the top one on my skip list is C'est Trop Tard, and that's the one that's closest stylistically to some of the new stuff.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Est. 11-10-2007

espire, I can't say I share your opinion as I find all three albums pretty well balanced. I really only skip maybe 4 or 5 songs total in all 3 albums.

Last edited by DirtyACE; 11-30-2007 at 12:19 AM..
Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 PM
International Fan

Jess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I have come to this forum almost every day for the past year, emploring Alizée to come back, watching her videos, listening to her music, and just plain enjoying the hell out of talking about her with fellow fans. I figure that's worth the price of 1 CD, even if I hated it.
I hear you, although I doubt that anyone really hates Alizée's music. I personally love her to death, and I will always treasure her music. I am honest though to to say that I really love her MCE better. For those that don't like her new music as much, I think that we have to take in consideration the fact that she actually started from scratch on all her new music, and she did a hell of a good job considering. That said, I think that she will only get better, and yes she needs our support right now.

What I find interesting is the fact that some members (fans) are now saying that they disliked some of their old songs, when this was never mentioned before. When she comes out with her 4th album, and if it's different are you going to say the same? Are you been totally honest with yourself and others now?

Paix, Amour et Musique ☮ ♥ ♫ http://www.international-music-videos.com

Old 11-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

About skipping tracks... I can't say I'm the same. What initially made me an Alizée fan was the consistency of MCE, actually. I had heard Moi Lolita on and off for years before and loved it, but just assumed Lili was like any other pop star with one or two catchy singles and all the rest crap. Now I have three albums I can listen to straight through. It's great.