Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 07:15 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdtv View Post
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Corsica-Eyewitness-Travel-Guides-Fabrizio/dp/0789493403"><i>Eyewitness Travel CORSICA</i></a> (Dorling Kindersley 2008) - ISBN 978-0-78949-340-8, writes this on pp. 16-17:<blockquote><i><big>Since the Matignon Agreement, finally reached in 2001, France has been investing heavily in both economy and infrastructure on the island, a fact that perhaps has made total autonomy less tempting...

There are only about 260,000 Corsicans on the island; three times as many work in mainland France. During the winter, as less jobs are available in the tourism sector, many leave for temporary work on the continent. The majority of the population live along the coast, mostly near the main towns such as Ajaccio and Bastia. Apart from Corte, the interior is [sparsely] inhabited...

Corsicans are generally quite traditional, and family comes first... Women might no longer be the cause of vendettas, but the attitude towards them is very conservative and, ompared to northern Europe, equality is a very remote goal. On the other hand, <b>no one receives more respect than a Corsican mother.</b></big></i></blockquote>

<hr>

For reference, here is some material about the Matignon Agreement from the <a href="http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2002/18365.htm">US State Department</a>:<blockquote><i>Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor
March 31, 2003...

RESPECT FOR HUMAN RIGHTS

Section 1. Respect for the Integrity of the Person, Including Freedom From:...

c. Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman, or Degrading Treatment or Punishment...

Government authorities continued to be concerned about violence in Corsica. The Corsican National Liberation Front claimed responsibility for 12 bombings this year; there were many other bombings that had not been claimed but were under investigation to determine whether their motivation was political or criminal. By year's end, investigations continued in the killings of three members of the Armata Corsa and the 2000 shooting deaths of former Corsican nationalist militant Jean-Michel Rossi and his bodyguard.

The Government took steps to address the concerns of Corsican nationalists. In December 2001, Parliament approved the <b>Matignon Agreement of 2000</b> that gives Corsica greater autonomy. However, in January the Constitutional Council declared that the first article violated the Fifth Republic's constitutional prohibition against delegating legislative authority to local or regional assemblies. At year's end, both the National Assembly and the Senate approved an extensive decentralization reform package that includes measures to reform the Constitution to allow delegation of authority in the manner called for by the Matignon Agreement. A final vote is scheduled for early 2003...</i></blockquote>
Oh wow! That's some serious stuff and that recently too. Yeah, I didn't know if that stuff was still as heated. Well, I guess in the last decade it has been. For a place that small, that really seems significant.

Merci Fanny
Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Ask me about France.

LeFantôme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have never seen ANYONE suggest "Alizée grew up in a tough neighborhood." On the basis of all this, I would call Alizée's childhood very comfortable, even by American standards.
Agreed. I just think that, at a glance, the thread insinuates otherwise.
Quote:
I take it you are an exchange student in France now. Could I ask in which city? How long have you been there now and when do you return home?
True. I'm in Paris. I didn't have much of a choice, really. If I did, I would be in Lyon. I come back to the States towards the end of June.
Quote:
Even Alizée????? She must have one FANTASTIC makeup artist!
Well played

Woah just remembered that Alizée has a song called 'Mon maquis' too. Kinda forgot about it because...I don't especially enjoy that song. Maybe I'll give it another try. Anyway, yeah! I guess it's not a coincidence.

Last edited by LeFantôme; 05-09-2010 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Noticed 'Mon maquis'
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile An American in Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFantôme View Post
I'm in Paris. I didn't have much of a choice, really. If I did, I would be in Lyon. I come back to the States towards the end of June..
Did you have an opportunity to see the Corsican girl in the flesh at the Virgin Megastore at the end of March? Or are you a more casual fan than that? Also, recently Institubes had an anniversary party open to the public. Who knows who might have stopped by then to say hello?

Bigdan calls Paris home. Maybe you guys can hold a two-man Alizée convention before you depart. He has given us a remote photographic guided tour of some of the places Alizée knew in the early days of her showbiz career.

I know little about Lyon, other than when it was called Lugdunum and capital of its Roman province, the future emperor Claudius was born there, the first born outside Latium. BTW, Alizée's surname is VERY exotic and highly concentrated in nearby Franche-Comté.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Ask me about France.

Yes I did see her and got a signed album at the Megastore. I considered going to the Institubes party but I didn't. I remember having good reason. I think that it cost €€ and I would have had a tough time convincing anyone that I know to go with me. And I'm not the kind of guy to go to social events alone. (They have guys like that in Paris. They're called creepers.)

I would not be opposed to meeting up with another fan. Haha, guided tour. Yeah sometimes I walk around and I'm like, 'Oh that's where Alizée did such and such."

I'm quite familiar with Franche-Comté acutally. My French friends from there go to school in Lyon, thus my motivation for going there. There are two pretty sweet Roman amphitheaters in Lyon, if you didn't know. They use the bigger one for concerts.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Smile When in Paris, do as the Parisians do?

Quote:
Yes I did see her and got a signed album at the Megastore.
We have extensive video documentation of how the private session for Alizée America went. I bet I'm not the only one curious about what your experience standing in line as one of many was like. Would you care to share any details of the encounter with the Corsican girl and her entourage? If this is the first time you saw A, did anything about her surprise you? I suppose your French is very good and you had an easier time than did Scruffy in exchanging words.

Quote:
I considered going to the Institubes party but I didn't. I remember having good reason. I think that it cost €€ and I would have had a tough time convincing anyone that I know to go with me.
I am glad to have your testimony that the organization run by the man A calls her "artistic director" is not shy about charging substantial money not JUST for the sale of musical recordings, but ALSO for the pleasure of their company, something of which AAm was generously and exclusively given much at the Virgin megastore. My hope is that the Mufraggi school scholarship will somehow help bump up the price and popularity of personal appearances by people from Institubes, not excluding the Corsican girl. It is how I hope we can be gentlemen and return their kindness.

Quote:
And I'm not the kind of guy to go to social events alone. (They have guys like that in Paris. They're called creepers.)
Oddly enough, guys sometimes go to social events alone so they can meet someone with whom they can go to future social events together. It's entirely up to the guy.

Quote:
I would not be opposed to meeting up with another fan. Haha, guided tour. Yeah sometimes I walk around and I'm like, 'Oh that's where Alizée did such and such."
You heard it, Bigdan. Just don't charge too much! And maybe you can bring along a bored Parisian companion looking for a hot American.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Ask me about France.

Quote:
We have extensive video documentation of how the private session for Alizée America went.
Is it posted for public viewing somwhere?
Quote:
I bet I'm not the only one curious about what your experience standing in line as one of many was like. Would you care to share any details of the encounter with the Corsican girl and her entourage?
Sure, I could share, but I don't think this is the place to do it. Is there another thread or should I just make one?
Quote:
I am glad to have your testimony that the organization run by the man A calls her "artistic director" is not shy about charging substantial money not JUST for the sale of musical recordings, but ALSO for the pleasure of their company, something of which AAm was generously and exclusively given much at the Virgin megastore. My hope is that the Mufraggi school scholarship will somehow help bump up the price and popularity of personal appearances by people from Institubes, not excluding the Corsican girl. It is how I hope we can be gentlemen and return their kindness.
I'm afraid that I do not entirely understand what you mean here. You are glad they charge a lot for music and events? AAm was charged at Virgin? What's Mufraggi?

Quote:
Oddly enough, guys sometimes go to social events alone so they can meet someone with whom they can go to future social events together. It's entirely up to the guy.
My social situation is a bit more complicated than that, but I'll save that rant for another day. I just meant that Paris has a problem with single or small groups of men harassing women. They frequently get turned away at clubs and bars because their just trouble.

Quote:
And maybe you can bring along a bored Parisian companion looking for a hot American.
Yeah as soon as I find myself a bored Parisienne
Old 05-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Smile Getting you up to speed

Quote:
Sure, I could share, but I don't think this is the place to do it. Is there another thread or should I just make one?
Yes, please create a thread which recounts your experiences while they remain fresh in your mind. We can then ask follow-up questions there, and finally have you comment on the records we made. If possible, it is best to take independent depositions of an event, so that they do not (sub)consciously influence one another.

Quote:
I'm afraid that I do not entirely understand what you mean here. You are glad they charge a lot for music and events? AAm was charged at Virgin? What's Mufraggi?
As a fan who notices A is no longer the century-turn superstar, I want to do what I can to boost the revenue of her enterprise, especially as Napsterism strangles recording sales.
Our audience at Virgin was graciously gratis - but that's something we want to FIX by collecting pledged money for a scholarship at her old dramatic arts school, Mufraggi, to honor her on the occasion of her tenth anniversary in showbiz.

Quote:
I just meant that Paris has a problem with single or small groups of men harassing women. They frequently get turned away at clubs and bars because their just trouble.
That's too bad.

Quote:
Yeah as soon as I find myself a bored Parisienne
I was asking Bigdan to see if he could find you one.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You heard it, Bigdan. Just don't charge too much! And maybe you can bring along a bored Parisian companion looking for a hot American.
What? What are you refering to?

( I maybe miss something...)
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Ask me about France.

Quote:
Yes, please create a thread which recounts your experiences while they remain fresh in your mind.
Oh no worries, I am well aware of the mind's trickery. I took notes while at the Megastore. Writing is a tough process for me (long story), so it might be a few days at least, but when I do post my account it should be worth it. Expect it to be long. Maybe even very long. Maybe (likely) even longer than I am anticipating. Like I said, writing and I have a complicated relationship.
Quote:
As a fan who notices A is no longer the century-turn superstar, I want to do what I can to boost the revenue... but that's something we want to FIX by collecting pledged money for a scholarship at her old dramatic arts school, Mufraggi...
Ah, thank you. It all makes sense now.
Quote:
I was asking Bigdan to see if he could find you one.
Then yes, please

What about your 'extensive video' documentation' of the dédicace? Was it professionally done?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:38 PM
i'm...PSYCHODELICIOUS.

Människöpesten is on a distinguished road

even if it is the poorest part.. corsica still sounds pretty boss

Tags
corsica, france, part, poorest, region