Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-25-2007, 01:27 AM
Le fan irlandais

Killian is on a distinguished road

Espire, I have to say I disagree with you.

The chemicals which are released when many fossil fuels are burned are very harmful to the atmosphere. The molecules bombard and destroy the ozone molecules in the atmosphere which leads to a deterioration in the coverage of the ozone layer. Now, as I am sure you are aware, it is the ozone layer that protects us from the more radioactive rays of the sun, which also contain heat, and as a results regulates the temprature.

Also the atmosphere is designed, be it by a deity or by a cosmical fluke, in a way that for all the heat that makes it through some is retained while some escapes back out into space. However the so-called "Greenhouses Gases", ehich are released when we create energy through unclean means, or through agriculture, are thus called for a reason. They cause more heat than usual to stay within the atmosphere, which causes a rise in temperatures.

This rise in temperature is what is being referred to when we talk about Global Warming. And, as such, it can be said that our generation of power is among the causes of it.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

espire, I agree about it being myth. My teacher was telling me in class one day was about how air conditioning effected people's tolerance for heat. When he was a boy his family car had no air conditioning. Every summer his family drove to Alabama. He was from North Carolina. Even though Alabama is warmer than North Carolina in the summer it never really bothered him. One year his family got their first car with air conditioning, and they went to Alabama that summer like always. He said that summer and the following summers were miserable because of the heat. It wasn't that it got hotter in Alabama it is that his tolerance for heat dropped because he became use to being in air conditioning. People today are so used to being cooled by air conditioning that they have forgotten how to tolerate the heat. Another thing that effects yonger genrations is that they didn't have to work outside in the heat like older generations. Young people today work in air conditioned restaraunts or in offices. They don't work out in the heat on farms. old people don't complain about being hot near as much as young people. Why? Because they deal with it like they did when they were young, before there was air conditioning and office jobs.

I am not saying that we are not releasing chemicals into the air, but I don't think global warming is anything more than a scientific trend that will be forgotten. The same way the peace movement was forgotten.

Last edited by Tye; 07-25-2007 at 01:44 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 AM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Killian, while these chemicals are harmful to the atmosphere, they are not nearly harmful enough to have the effect that most people think they do. The earth is a much more resilient place than what people are saying.

The problem is that the rise in temperature isn't really happening. The effect of what we are doing to the earth is being exaggerated by a huge amount. Global warming, as I said before, just might happen in the future, but only if we figure out how to survive breathing in the stuff that comes out of a truck's exhaust pipe, because it won't happen until way after we've experienced that much pollution.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:01 AM
Le fan irlandais

Espire, I said I disagreed with you saying that a rise in global temperatures has nothing to do with a rise in our energy consumption. I felt this was a silly statement, and gave my reasons. I never said that Global Warming will happen within our lifetimes or our children's, I merely said that the release of "Greenhouse Gases" must be considered a factor in temperature increases.

Also, reliable recording of the earth's temperatue began in 1850, not 1950. And, there has been an increase in the speed of annual temperature increase in that time. The temperature is increasing by about 0.25 °C per decade, compared to know increase around the 18560-1900 time period. I know this isn't alot, and I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying there has been an increase.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

espire is right. The earth is tough. If it can survive an astroid impact that wipped out all the dinosaurs, and almost all life then it can survive the supposed effects of the supposed global warming that is supposedly happening.

The earth can take plenty care of it's self people, and even though the rise in temperature might be effecting us it doesn't matter. This is because the earth's existence and continuing growth has nothing to do with humans. I think people forget this. We are a small speck in the earth's history, and just like the dinosaurs, we will be gone one day and the earth will function just fine until and when the next dominant species comes along. Just because the human race dies off doesn't mean the earth stops functioning. It will continue to develope like it always has. It may one day change and a new species will come along that is not reliant on oxygen and the same atmosphere we are. Maybe that new species will thrive in the environment that we couldn't. That is the way of nature. The one's that can't adapt don't make it. No use fighting the way of things.

It is funny that scientists expect our next major astroid impact to be in 2021. So if scientists are right about this date and it is as bad as the one that hit 65,000,000 years ago, I don't think it really going to matter what we do to stop global warming. Insted of fighting something that might take hundreds of years to effects us (if it even exists) why don't we fight something that scientsist expect to happen in 14 years. Because if scientists are right and we get hit by another astroid I think global warming is going to be the least of our problems. Why don't we start developing ways to protects earth from astroid impacts?

Last edited by Tye; 07-25-2007 at 02:19 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 02:15 AM
Le fan irlandais

Tye don't fret that meteoroid. Scientists used to think the probability of an impact was 1 in 17. They even named it Apophis, after the Egyptian god Apep, or "the destroyer". They have since lowered the likelihood to 0, as it will pass 25,600 km from the earth.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 AM

panzerkiller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurvonic View Post
seems like a good idea, but i dont think it would help out much

the lights would come back on and it would just go back to how it is now. however, alot of countries are taking steps to conserve energy, and bring down C02 levels. these are just baby steps in slowing down global warming before it hits the "tipping point" where there's nothing more we can do.

eh, just let the kids deal with it 50 years from now
what if everyone is a lazy bum in 50 years?I want to reasearch and solve as much as I can but a lot of kids my age are stupid and couldn't care about a thing in the world
Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Golden Boy from Golden City

Uméesha is on a distinguished road

its a bad idea josh... consuming enery for about 7 min is not so good, it will not help in global warming... as global is caused by climatic change and change in the temperature... it is caused due to warming by the addition of green house gases such as CO2, the initial warming by these gases will cause more water to be evaporated into the atmosphere..... this causes still more warming, the warming causes more water vapor to be evaporated, and is reached with a much larger greenhouse effect than that due to CO2 alone.

steps to overcome the global warming
this will help a lot to reduce the global warming!

1. Stop using the familiar incandescent light bulbs and replace them with compact fluorescent bulbs, which last much longer and use only a quarter of the energy consumed by conventional bulbs.

2. Save fuel - Use less gas with your current car
3.In summer, keep shades drawn to keep the cool in.
4.In winter, open shades to let the sunlight to help warm rooms.
5.Install a programmable thermostat to heat and cool rooms only when necessary.

6. Plant trees around your house to cut cooling costs in summer.

7.Insulate your walls and ceilings.
8.Install a light-colored or reflective roof.

this will help you to control the global warming.... but as josh earlier said that consuming light for 7 does not leads to control global warming its just for some moment... but the step given above will help u a lot!

"If you lose touch with nature you lose touch with humanity"

"save the world"
Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 AM
Banned

thats amazazazing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
I know I may look evil or something for saying this, but global warming is pretty much a myth. Why do I say this? I have two reasons.

1) The main reason it supposedly exists? The fact that as temperature has "risen" the usage of energy has also risen? Moot. Just because two things follow the same general line does NOT mean that they are related. Here's one of my favourite examples:

Now wait a second, ice cream does not make you more likely to be victim of a shark. So how is there such a relation? Because when it's hot outside, people buy ice cream. When it's hot outside, people also go swimming, many of them in waters that have sharks. So obviously, there is not a direct relation between the two. The same thing goes for global warming. Just because the temperatures have gone up at the same time that we have increased our energy consumption does not mean that our energy consumption is the cause.

2) We as humans have not had the technology to accurately record average yearly temperatures since something like the 1950s. And guess what? There were days just as hot, if not hotter, than today's hot days in the 1950s as well! The huge increase in temperature we can "clearly" see is only about a degree at the most, and we can't be sure that it is even that much.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think that we're all going to die because the earth will heat up so much that the ice caps will melt and we'll all drown. Sure, we'll eventually die from the pollution we've created (I'm sure our Mexican members can tell us how clean the air is in a place like Mexico City), but we will NOT die because of global warming.
I'm not quite sure global warming is as serious as people seem to depict it, at the moment, but one day its not going to end well

all of the carbon emissions do effect the environment, and its getting worse, but I'm not too worried about it ^_^

Mexico City isn't bad compared to lovely places like the majority of new jersey, or galveston texas, lol, dirty places :/
Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Banned

thats amazazazing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
Tye don't fret that meteoroid. Scientists used to think the probability of an impact was 1 in 17. They even named it Apophis, after the Egyptian god Apep, or "the destroyer". They have since lowered the likelihood to 0, as it will pass 25,600 km from the earth.
people seem to forget how vast the universe is, even our solar system

a meteor destroying earth in our life time, or even our children's lifetime, and their children's, isn't going to happen ^_^