Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 08-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Allez L'OM!

aditya8617 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan500
you forgot to mention her singing lol not that her singing is bad so please don't start flaming me lol
I am not complaning about the singing, the place where I come from her music and songs are way better.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:59 AM
I'm awesome, u know it

Spartan500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya8617
I am not complaning about the singing, the place where I come from her music and songs are way better.
no I'm not saying you are complaining I just said you forgot to mention her voice its a joke so don't worry
Old 01-27-2007, 06:54 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default mild offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
Literally, Délit is offence indeed, but in the criminal sense, like "misdemeanor" or even "crime". ... My dictionary says "docile", "tame", "submissive" in English. I think they're all better than flexible.
Actually, both terms are absolute opposites. That's what Farmer wanted of course. You should just try to do the same opposite in English.
Thus, mild offense or mildly offensive. Which one of those or how it is taken would really depend on the context. In this case she's either saying that these are the things that she finds mildly offensive or admitting that complaining in this way is a bit childish. Since Délit is apparently being used as a noun, I'd say the docile offense would be the best literal translation (keeping in mind that I don't know French and am basically interpreting the English translation here ). That would make the best interpretive translation mild offense or something that doesn't sound kind of strange like docile offense. So, she's admitting to the childish frivolity of making a list of annoyances. You see, getting this kind of nuance can affect your assessment of the personality being portrayed and change your whole attitude toward the persona.
I think unless you really think it is clear that it means something else, it is best to stick as close as possible to a literal translation and then just explain idiomatic phrases.
Then, of course, it is a song and so putting words together often is not meant to do more than give you an idea, a feeling for what the lyrist is trying to say. In this song understanding the words is just a bonus. The way she sings and moves tells us all she really wants us men to know.
Quote:
"Des extrémistes à deux balles": in this sentence "2 balles" is for "2 Euros" (well, in fact for "Francs" before the Euro but it's still used!) like when you say "buck" for Dollar, so litterally: "Extremist not worth 2 bucks", I'd say something like "laughable extremists" or simply "stupid extremists"
Again, I don't think you can say literally unless à means not worth. I don't want to argue your point. It is perfectly good if the idiom is correct, but if it more literally translates to 'extremists with 2 bucks', I prefer that with the explanation of 'extremists that no one can really take seriously' (2 bucks because they aren't worth much) (written this way in order to rhyme) - then we can guess based on any number of things who she's really referring to.
Well, that's my two cents. [idiomatic expression meaning 'that's my opinion' with an offhanded acknowledgment that I'm just one of many with no authority in this situation and thus my opinion may not be worth much.] (and no I'm not going to explain offhanded)
Quote:

Mylène probably spent only 2 seconds: "I want an opposite with Délit... well well... Docile! not bad!
Really! Hmm...what might sound clever and at the same time rhym? Aha!
Though the original posters will probably never see this: Thanks again aFrenchie for the invaluable cultural and lingual perspective.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:58 AM

Default my pointless post. I've already wasted enough time, why not continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
Given the reference to seeing things in black and white in the next line, some people think this may also be a reference to Corsican nationalists (who dress all in black).
That's cool as a way of explanation. Thanks. That makes me think of the bozos who fly a Confederate flag and actually still talk about seceding from the Union. (I don't know if that ever actually happens anymore, but I think I've heard of it happening.) I mean come on people, the Civil War ended like a hundred fifty years ago and everyone knows we're all happier being one country now. I'd just tell them, 'oh, SHUT UP!' (I need the smilely with the annoyed eye roll)
Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
That's cool as a way of explanation. Thanks. That makes me think of the bozos who fly a Confederate flag and actually still talk about seceding from the Union. (I don't know if that ever actually happens anymore, but I think I've heard of it happening.) I mean come on people, the Civil War ended like a hundred fifty years ago and everyone knows we're all happier being one country now. I'd just tell them, 'oh, SHUT UP!' (I need the smilely with the annoyed eye roll)

Unfortunately, people do say that stuff (seceding from the union)

Of course, that has NOTHING to do with Lili! I love AFrenchie's translations - and i'm sorry if i missed it, but what does "L'E-mail a des ailes" translate as, i'm having no luck with any online translator lately (my computer at home is refusing to acknowledge the internet!).

Ed
Old 02-09-2007, 08:40 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcognito View Post
what does "L'E-mail a des ailes" translate as
"The e-mail has wings"
Old 02-15-2007, 08:36 PM

badog7 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hey all,
referring to some of Mylenes lyrics, I wanted to say that, as a sometime writer of lyrics myself, it is so easy to overead it and your function as the writer is to be as ambiguous, fun/serious -depending on the context of the song/poem and make metaphors/alliterations etc however and whenever possible.
So the reference to "Docile<> delit" should be read in context- Mylene is saying it may be a puerile thing to do in the (shadow) of bombes- world wide terrorism- to be taking an indulgent bubble bath and making a lil list of things that annoy --123...no matter how good she looks , but that is what JBG are doing here- making "le terror" much more stupid than the (serious) sheer joy of imagining Alizee in her bath havin a frisson(!) with her "lil fish"..(heheh..>> ooh lala ) and no> it wasnt "sismiques" . Did the earth move for you guys?" lol! ! (iT DID FOR ME FIRST TIME i SAW ALIZEES 'ELF DANCE' WOOHOO!) BUT! there was (y un hic!?) Meaning? Getting there is tricky-oui! just ask my gf! Even funnier!
As to
Quote:
'Des extremistes a deux balles
" line, well that simply means '2 bit' radicals like marxist (un idee fixe!) students- they never have any buck$!! and they start riots..1968 et al that..hence "leading me on hypocrtically"- Mylene wants to turn things upside down (first line of Toc de Mac) but not violently- she prefers to do it through the medium of a beautiful young star and not be a hypocrite negativing everything else..!but having read alot of Ms Gautier i think there may be a 'cruditee" reference to MCPs there AUSSI! Mr Honourable may be adroit! haha. J'en ris!
Oui, j'suis australien! Owyagoin m8?
Ca Va? Ca plus!
La premier poste!
badog7 aka Chienoirsept- not everything noir est mal!
Vive ALIZEE!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badog7 View Post
Hey all, referring to some of Mylenes lyrics ...
As to " line, well that simply means '2 bit' radicals like marxist (un idee fixe!)
As for all of your post, yes, I don't think anyone disagrees. By the way, thank you, I forgot about the phrase '2 bit'. That says it perfectly and translates quite well also.
A guy at work said he didn't need the translation for this song. Oh yes, not entirely necessary, but when you get the picture of her having the "frisson" you mention in a bubble bath, well, I told him it does make a difference. It really makes a difference, oh yeahhhhh

Merci Fanny