Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 11-30-2007, 10:34 AM

penguinluvr91 is on a distinguished road
Default why??????

why is it that the U.S exports almost all entertainment such as artists and movies and shows to other countries buy they hardly do that in return. we almost never or never hear about artists or movies or shows from other places that weren't the United States.

i mean the only other places i hear artists, shows, movies from is from Latin America. i mean its obvious why we hear so much from Latin America but that doesnt mean we should limit ourselves to that.

are artists from other countries scared that they wont do well in America or do their record labels not let them go beyond where ever they're from.

well i dont know but those artist from other countries should come to the U.S....
Old 11-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Poussière d'étoile...

French Fan is on a distinguished road

The main problem in my opinion is that artists are afraid with the US market because most of people think english language is required for success in the US...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Alizée Fan For Life

SilentFox is on a distinguished road

That was what i was thinking about to there FF
Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
moi coco

cocoroa is on a distinguished road

you should be happy those who live in the us or in europe

i live in chile and here you don´t see too many concerts and things like that

you should be proud of having that number of artists who give concerts almost all the time.

Nobody cares about small countries.

Lili... with you till the end of the world
don´t forget to watch my alizee video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskLRxB_XFM

TA4E!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:29 PM

blueskyy is on a distinguished road

Maybe because some Americans think that the US is the best country in the world and that we already have the best stuff, so they have no interest in listening to foreign music/art. Plus the fact that most of them don't know anything or have any experience to foreign music/art.

Just think of the rednecks that you may try to introduce to Alizee: "I aint listn'n to no French crap! They didn't support us in the war, etc etc.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:56 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinluvr91 View Post
why is it that the U.S exports almost all entertainment such as artists and movies and shows to other countries buy they hardly do that in return. we almost never or never hear about artists or movies or shows from other places that weren't the United States.
Supply and Demand.

America generates a lot of domestic entertainment. Our internal supply is very high. Couple that to the fact English is the primary language of commerce (requiring most Americans to only need to learn English) and they will gravitate to English enterntainment provided by an oversaturated internal demand. There is little demand for foreign entertainment because, in a nutshell, most of what we desire (or wish to desire) is produced domestically.

Many countries outside the U.S. don't generate as much entertainment domestically (although several external markets are expanding very nicely), and the U.S. is more than ready to provide supply. Couple that to the fact many foreigners know English as a second language, and are willing (and accustomed) to accepting foriegn entertainment products.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:34 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Fan View Post
The main problem in my opinion is that artists are afraid with the US market because most of people think english language is required for success in the US...
The English language is required for success in the US, partly because people will usually prefer to listen in a language that they understand, but also recursively; success is defined by sales,so there isn't as much publicity as there usually is in the native country. Publicity causes a lot of sales, so until music companies start taking risks, we'll be stuck in that loop.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:40 PM
---

theit77 is on a distinguished road

Very well said, Orge; I think the language barrier is a major part of the problem, but your supply-demand relationship probably explains it best
Elle a cette drôle de voix, Elle a cette drôle de joie ----- She has this curious voice, She has this curious joy
____..___ Ce don du ciel qui la rend belle ----- This gift from the sky that makes her pretty.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Ogre makes a good point. The US can produce more than enough entertainment for its own needs.

But I would argue that Americans still need to expose themselves to what the rest of the world has to offer. We need to be open to new sounds and new ideas. We may be smart in some things, but we are quite ignorant in others. We have cut ourselves off from the rest of the world for too long and are missing out on too much.

I also think French Fan makes a good point. Until the US sends a signal to the rest of the world that we are willing to listen, people like Alizée may just decide not to bother coming here. It will be our loss.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Est. 11-10-2007

DirtyACE is on a distinguished road

Even with the supply of entertainment US provides, I think we'll see a growth in exposure of foreign artists gradually, thanks to the internet mainly. Youtube anyone.