Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Media Section

Old 06-17-2023, 02:26 AM

Alizée 4K is on a distinguished road
Smile Jérémy Chatelain's song for/about Alizée - "Je Me Rappelle"

I'm not sure what the general forum's opinion of Jérémy Chatelain is, I can imagine many are not that big of a fan? Personally I do not know enough about their personal lives (nor would I wish to) to make a judgement, I do know that nowadays he seems to have a good relationship with Annily so that's all that's important.

Of course I was curious to check out his career when him and Alizée first got together, and I must admit that his music at the time was not at all to my taste so I didn't pay it much attention.

However, I'm a fan of Daft Punk, and one time a few years back I heard a song on French radio that added lyrics to their instrumental song "Veridis Quo", and this made me pay attention. I really liked the song, and I was surprised when I heard that it was a fairly recent (2017) song by Jérémy.

It's called "Je Me Rappelle" (I remember).

I don't think the song was very successful - there's no official YouTube upload and the official Vimeo link has less than 3,000 views, so I imagine there's a strong chance many people won't have heard of it. I never would have, if it wasn't for it randomly being on the radio.

The reason the song might be interesting to Alizée fans is that it was obviously written and recorded many years after they broke up, but it is a whistful, melancholy song, looking back fondly at everything that happened in the early days of his career, and feeling sad for what he has lost through the passage of time. He briefly talks about childhood memories of culture from the 80s and 90s (which Alizée would also share) but mostly focuses on the initial excitement of recording his first record deal, going to Paris, LA, getting his first expensive 4x4 car, all of which would have been when he and Alizée were together, and also the Daft Punk song that its based around is from the early 2000s and would have been in constant rotation in France during their early days courting each other. He doesn't specifically mention her by name (though its written as if he is talking to someone he used to know very well and wishes to reconnect with) but he does mention the American import trainers that she bought for him as a present early in their relationship.

The song has a tone of fond nostalgia tinged with sadness, and certainly implies that when he wrote the song he regretted the breakdown of the relationship, and was hoping to at least rekindle their friendship. He doesn't at all sound like he blames the breakup on her, infact he talks of his ego growing too big, his problems drinking too much and it making him angry/spiteful... there is an overall feeling of "we shared some crazy exciting experiences, we were too young to know better, we made mistakes, I still remember that time fondly and I hope you do too. It would be great to properly catch up and talk about old times".

Obviously, when this song was written, Alizée & Gregoire were married. I don't at all interpret it as an inappropriate attempt for Jérémy to win her back or anything like that, more just a song looking back on the past with fondness, thinking about what could have been, and how he's sad at the way things worked out but grateful for the happy memories. That's how it reads to me, anyway.

Last edited by Alizée 4K; 06-17-2023 at 02:38 AM..
Old 06-17-2023, 11:48 AM

Marshal Davout is on a distinguished road

Alizee 4K "I'm not sure what the general forum's opinion of Jérémy Chatelain is, I can imagine many are not that big of a fan? Personally I do not know enough about their personal lives (nor would I wish to) to make a judgement, I do know that nowadays he seems to have a good relationship with Annily so that's all that's important."

I think many people on here do not like Chatelain; because of the Divorce ! and some have said that he made her cry and even in her performances in Mexico; although I have not seen any when she is crying and performing
But as long as he is currently nice to her and takes care of Annily; we do not mind him any more.

Note for some reason my copying of your comment did not work right ( as I am not perfect on alizee america; so it seems ! ) Ha !

Last edited by Marshal Davout; 06-17-2023 at 11:51 AM..
Old 06-17-2023, 12:38 PM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Davout View Post

I think many people on here do not like Chatelain; because of the Divorce ! and some have said that he made her cry and even in her performances in Mexico; although I have not seen any when she is crying and performing
But as long as he is currently nice to her and takes care of Annily; we do not mind him any more.
I think Alizee's fans are more angry with him because they thought he stole her from them considering Alizee disappeared from public life for a couple of years after marrying him. Of course, the positive opinion about him was also not helped by the divorce and tears.
Greg seems like a good guy and Alizee seems happy and more open to the public, so I prefer Greg more, which doesn't mean that Chatelain is a bad person, it's just a different vibe now with Greg in the public eye.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:06 PM

Alizée 4K is on a distinguished road

Yeah I definitely agree with the statements from both you guys. Of course we will never know the truth of what happens behind closed doors. My own opinion at the time of them getting together was more that I was annoyed that she disappeared from the public eye and stopped making music for a while.

Judging without prejudice, I still never really liked his music at the time. But the "new" song that I posted above is actually good and I was impressed when I heard it and didn't know it was from him. As its obscure, I thought Alizée fans may not have heard it, and might find it interesting being that its related to their time together. But even without that context, I appreciate it as a song about feelings of nostalgia for the past, happy memories tinged with sadness that they are gone. I think we can all relate to that on some level
Old 06-23-2023, 01:25 PM

Marshal Davout is on a distinguished road
Default Alizee is our SuperGirl !

Alizee is our SuperGirl and many of us fell in Love with her; when we saw her videos. But we would not do anything to upset her! The most we would do ; if we met her, would be to ask for an autograph with a silly smile on our faces, and she is probably used to people asking for her autograph with a silly smile on their faces ! Ha!
I am an out of it kind of guy; but when somebody posted about "Supergirl" on one of her videos; I had to look it up. Here is the rendition.

" And then she said it's OK;
I Got Lost on the way,
But I'm a SuperGirl, and SuperGirls Don't Cry !
And then she said it's Allright;
I Got Home Late Last Night,
But I'm a SuperGirl, And I Got My Dance to go Light
But I'm a SuperGirl, And SuperGirls Just catch Flight !

( I add to the Lyrics, Sorry ! )

Last edited by Marshal Davout; 06-23-2023 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: More INfo
Old 06-23-2023, 04:12 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

We have discussed Jeremy and Alizee at length on this forum and for anybody interested, a forum search would locate those threads.

Alizee has always been very private about her personal life, but she has opened up quite a bit since she has been with Greg. I think he has been as good for her and she is for him.

Her fans have always wondered what happened with her first marriage. There are five songs on her 5th album that Alizee collaborated with Thomas Boulard that I felt was her way of communicating the answers to some of those questions. The lyrics translated to your language can be found online in case you are interested.

Tags
analysis, chatelain, je me rappelle, jeremy, song