Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 10-20-2006, 01:37 AM

Matrix is on a distinguished road

Lets ask Mylene Farmer she is the one who wrote the wierd lyrics! Mylene.. what did you mean by that? Never mind.. you are one crazy lady.. but i like you
Old 10-20-2006, 01:39 AM

maareek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Less confusing than english. I wish i had been born french and tried to learn english so i could understand that statement. To me english is the simplest language in the world... duh i wonder why...lol

I do hear many foreignors complain about english though. IT must be true.. english is difficult
It may not be the most difficult or confusing, but it's definitely hard if you aren't a native speaker. And very few native speakers even get it right. It's just so complex and there's so many rules and words and grammatical nuances that it's hell to learn if you speak it your whole life, much less if you just started it. I'm a native speaker but having dabbled in other languages and paid pretty close attention to this one I know it's pretty difficult, and most people thing I have an excellent grasp of it, while I think I'm pretty poor at it.

Most other languages seem pretty straightforward to me in comparison, but I could be missing something. You just have to get past the "well why is it this way" stage and figuring it out becomes easier.

And yeah, I wish I'd have learned french as a child too. Hell, now I wish I'd have paid more attention in French class, my teacher was very knowledgable and I squandered the opportunity.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:43 AM
You actually read these?

HibyPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maareek View Post
You just have to get past the "well why is it this way" stage and figuring it out becomes easier.
I never understood why this is so hard for people, the answer is and always will be "it just is."
Old 10-20-2006, 01:47 AM

maareek is on a distinguished road

As an adult you've become so accustomed to doing things in such a way it becomes unusual and difficult to understand why it would be done differently. For an adult to learn a new language (an entirely different way to communicate) it's pretty natural to have to fight the udge to question why. It's just about whether or not you want to learn it bad enough to get past that stage, since once you accept it for what it is things get much, much easier.

And children rarely have this problem as they haven't had the same level of ingraining of set patterns put into them yet so they're more susceptible to different ways of doing things. When I have children I'm going to follow my French teachers child rearing advice and teach them every language I know (which at the moment is one with bits and pieces of like 3 others, though I hope to expand that to 4 eventually) from the earliest possible moment. If they decide not to pursue it further later on they'll have a basis to make a judgment on and if they decide to pursue it, they'll already have a foundation.

Last edited by maareek; 10-20-2006 at 01:49 AM..
Old 10-20-2006, 01:51 AM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
I love the french sound but my god your language is DIFFICULT!!!!
Mais non, vraiment? Le français n'est pas difficile ça seulement prend du temps c'est tout. (French isn't hard it just takes a bit of time, that's all)

But from what I've been told English if you don't grow up with it is very hard to learn because of all the different pronountiations, (otion and ocean, not to mention all the different sounds ough can make) and spelling like knife where at one the k wasn't silent but was never removed when it became silent. French once you learn the rules is a lot simpler, as is Spanish.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:12 AM
You actually read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
But from what I've been told English if you don't grow up with it is very hard to learn because of all the different pronountiations, (otion and ocean, not to mention all the different sounds ough can make) and spelling like knife where at one the k wasn't silent but was never removed when it became silent. French once you learn the rules is a lot simpler, as is Spanish.
Don't forget nearly every word meaning something different depending on where it is used.

I recently switched my keyboard layout to azerty as part of my ongoing attempt to never stop learning (deciding to learn french is probably the biggest part of that so far).

When I first switched it a couple days ago, I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and I ended up typing at about 10 WPM (words per minute). I can already almost type at the same speed I can on a qwerty keyboard, not to mention having access to the french accents MUCH faster.

It's not that adults loose the ability to learn new things easily, they purposely give up the ability to learn things easily by not continually learning new skill sets.

I once changed my computer language to chinese for a day and was just completely lost, but it made me think twice about taking things for granted.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:34 AM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

^^ Wow AZERTY that's ambitious, I never liked the shift to use the numbers so stuck with the French Canadian, what I have it set at almost all the time now, except when friends use the computer and bitch about it. Not quite as fast as an AZERTY for accents but still decent. And faster for me because it's still a QWERTY keyboard.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:37 AM
You actually read these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
^^ Wow AZERTY that's ambitious, I never liked the shift to use the numbers so stuck with the French Canadian, what I have it set at almost all the time now, except when friends use the computer and bitch about it. Not quite as fast as an AZERTY for accents but still decent. And faster for me because it's still a QWERTY keyboard.
My goal is to beable to switch between the 2 easily. When I do get to that point, then it's a new layout to get used to (if there are anymore latin ones?).

I typed out 2 multiple page emails today, i think my backspace button is going to break soon...
Old 10-20-2006, 07:49 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

"Y en a marre" is the abbreviation of "Il y en a marre", meaning "it's enough" indeed. Or at least, it's the best English translation. Literally it's "there's fed up"! Should mean nothing that way for you . It's a way to apply "fed up" to everybody, like "everybody's fed up".

And you're right, she doesn't sing "oui" just before but something else that I can't catch because of the music/choirs in the background...
Old 10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

English is hard because it has so many exceptions. French has them too, but nowhere near as many