Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre l'anglais

Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 AM

Jazzmin is on a distinguished road
Default CPE: the Speaking Test...

Salut!

Perhaps it's too awkward to put this issue on an American forum but since I know many members here aren't English native speakers... and also know that many Americans too were so kind as to answer my questions, even those most peculiar...

Well, the current idea on my mind is to watch good samples from the oral part of the exam where the English used by the candidates is proficient indeed (C2). If anyone were so helpful as to help me to look for some... Currently, I'm doing the search myself but so far the results have not been satisfactory .
The Round belong

Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I'm easily confused and not quite sure what you are looking for. I think you are looking for videos of people who are noted for speaking English well. Is that correct?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

In this country, we mostly speak Mer'can - not English.

Although there are those who are good speakers, the fact is that the common, everyday language spoken here varies from "English" by a fair margin. As I have heard it said, we are divided from the English by a common language.

If you are really looking for examples of good English, then I would suggest that you look for videos of lectures in England, or by those born there. Anyone speaking to a literary group in England would be VERY careful to use proper English.

One person who I can recommend is named Alan Watts. He was a lecturer in the 1970's in the USA, but he always spoke proper English. Many of his lectures are on YouTube (usually audio with associated images). Also, some of his topics are fascinating.

Last edited by Rev; 08-22-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Probably a stupid question but what's a CPE Test?
And yes i've tried Google :-)
Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 AM
HipHopHead

Jacotey is on a distinguished road

This?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrid...ficiency_(CPE)
Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

Sometimes accents can get in the way of understanding.. I mean although the english share the same language as their american friends, some people from the USA still can't understand them unless they are speaking the proper Queens English.

I suppose there's no shame there though.. cuz I can't always understand some accents from the north either when the words come out and then there's also the slang to deal with.

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 08-22-2014, 03:06 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

True.
As i often say...There is English and then there is Belfast English :-)
There are so many regional variations in the UK alone that it's impossible to have any sort of standard.
I was on Holiday in the Czech Republic a few years ago and was chatting to the receptionist at the Hotel i was staying in. She told me that of all the English accents she had heard that mine was the hardest to understand.

I guarantee that if you met me you would have great difficulty in understanding anything i said. We use a lot of slang in Northern Ireland and even it varies according to what region of the country you are in.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

I will never forget a situation at work where a person born in Pakistan and one born in Ghana were trying to speak to each other in English. Both had lived in the USA for many years. There accents (word intonations) were apparently each difficult enough for the other to understand that they simply could not understand what each other was saying, although I could understand both of them perfectly.