Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-30-2009, 12:45 PM

AfriqueDuSud is on a distinguished road
Default Pockets of popularity - similar to Rodriguez in South Africa

Rodriguez is an awesome American Folk Musician with a large South African cult following, and we are proud to have played some part in relaunching his career with multiple ongoing tours (around the world, and here) after nearly 17 years of retirement.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixto_Diaz_Rodriguez

This was in part due to the large circulation of I imagine mostly pirated tracks that where popular under students here, I remember singing "Sugarman" at the top of my voice over a beer, it just sat with our culture at the time. He found out via a local fan site that he was pretty huge and the rest is history, as they say.

I honestly believe that Lili's popularity in Mexico can be attributed to a similar dynamic that we saw here with Rodriguez, also radio stations here are pretty open to play anything they feel like or people ask for (foreign language is veeeery tough though) and the DJ's are typically very approachable. Unfortunately there isn't that free flow of the albums here as they weren't ever officially released (I think), but a lot of people know the vidz.

I wonder how many other Saffers are on this forum? If you are visiting this forum for info on Alizee and you are from SA, please register and PM me, thanks.

Maybe I need to build a local fansite?